Is Baz really the dead man walking?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Read an item not so long ago from someone who knows Cleary, that in fact he'd love the opportunity to coach Manly. He just hasnt been offered the job.
I believe that. I heard an interview with Cleary recently and said he would be interested in coaching again but hasn't really been approached by any clubs. This is surprising, though I guess its a reflection of his past history.

Still, we could do worse than Cleary and at least he's got some 'Manly' in him. And if he brought his son with him, that would be even better! :nod:

I have always admired Fulton and it was him more than any other of the players that had me watching Rugby League. He was a great player and a fine coach.

However that doesnt say that he is without flaws and doesnt make mistakes.

I was happy to see him come back because Manly were on a fast train to the bottom of the comp...and I mean the very bottom. He turned it around with a few astute signings. But he also bought some turkeys. I'd prefer him around than not with Manly but sometimes I think he makes questionable judgement calls. The Blake issue was one of those. It shouldnt have been Blake or Hasler. It should have been both. Similarly it shouldnt be Buhrer and some other fine prospect. It should be both. We're seeing it with Knight, Gutherson etc.

Untapped potential being let go with the spin its because we needed Walker or we needed Bird or Uate. There are other options and sometimes I suspect Fulton is blinded by the 'experienced ex or present test player' tag, and looks for a quick fix rather than long term strategies. Yes Hasler was a great catch. But Blake was a mistake because he stared at Souths and almost helped them to a premiership with a no name team.

But as stated, I have the greatest regard for Fulton and know where his loyalties lie. But he's not the Messiah

I have always admired Fulton and it was him more than any other of the players that had me watching Rugby League. He was a great player and a fine coach.

However that doesnt say that he is without flaws and doesnt make mistakes.

I was happy to see him come back because Manly were on a fast train to the bottom of the comp...and I mean the very bottom. He turned it around with a few astute signings. But he also bought some turkeys. I'd prefer him around than not with Manly but sometimes I think he makes questionable judgement calls. The Blake issue was one of those. It shouldnt have been Blake or Hasler. It should have been both. Similarly it shouldnt be Buhrer and some other fine prospect. It should be both. We're seeing it with Knight, Gutherson etc.

Untapped potential being let go with the spin its because we needed Walker or we needed Bird or Uate. There are other options and sometimes I suspect Fulton is blinded by the 'experienced ex or present test player' tag, and looks for a quick fix rather than long term strategies. Yes Hasler was a great catch. But Blake was a mistake because he stared at Souths and almost helped them to a premiership with a no name team.

But as stated, I have the greatest regard for Fulton and know where his loyalties lie. But he's not the Messiah

Blake was no mistake . Why ? Here are the facts !
Blake was our half back in our 2 grand final losses in 1982 and 1983 so you cant say Bozo didn't give him the opportunity to shine but under the grand final pressure Blake did not perform and was targeted in defence .
This is why Bozo decided to go for the ruthless Hasler and he was vindicated with a grand final win .
We will agree to disagree :)

To be fair, Bozo was instrumental in bringing Hasler into the NSW set up as an assistant and started Des' coaching career. I dont think there is as much bad blood between Des and Bozo as some might think, Des was and is extremely tight with Zorba also. Bringing Des back would be a huge coup for the current owners and it would make a lot of pissed off fans like me very happy. Anyway one can only hope.

Blake was our half back in our 2 grand final losses in 1982 and 1983 so you cant say Bozo didn't give him the opportunity to shine but under the grand final pressure Blake did not perform and was targeted in defence .
This is why Bozo decided to go for the ruthless Hasler and he was vindicated with a grand final win .
Ruthless Hasler? The player we called sorry because he would apologise every tackle? The devoted Christian? Control freak maybe.

Also the parra dynasty had retired by 87.

Bozo I respect your loyalty to Fulton, but of Blake, the kid was 18 years old in the '82 grand final, younger than TT. He was 19 in the '83 grand final. His astonishing performances during the first season when he scored more tries than any Manly player ever had in a single season, almost carried Manly into the grand final. Some rather brutal behaviour by Parramatta in that game (I was there and close to where it happened) shut him down after he scored another of his solo tries. The kid understandably struggled with confidence after that though he was getting it back together when Manly let him go. He was still only aged 22.

Hasler was a great find but didnt set the world on fire when he first started at Manly. But he developed and became in my opinion one of our greatest. But he was 23 years old when he joined Manly. Fulton was prepared to help him develop but not Blake. One reason maybe was that Blake was quite smart and may have not been as easy to dictate to as Hasler was in his early years.

Blake was a confidence player who needed a coach who had confidence in him. It was quite obvious from the number of times he was placed on the reserves bench that Fulton was not prepared to make the effort.

I think if hasler returns it will be in the condition that the others call the shots.

Remember Bozo was brought back to fix the club, not run it.

His no1 priority was to help keep dce. Then he moved into a more involved role at the club.

Perhaps once the off season signings are completed, getting hasler back is the last piece of the puzzle and therefore he will step away again and let the coach do its thing.

Bozo I respect your loyalty to Fulton, but of Blake, the kid was 18 years old in the '82 grand final, younger than TT. He was 19 in the '83 grand final. His astonishing performances during the first season when he scored more tries than any Manly player ever had in a single season, almost carried Manly into the grand final. Some rather brutal behaviour by Parramatta in that game (I was there and close to where it happened) shut him down after he scored another of his solo tries. The kid understandably struggled with confidence after that though he was getting it back together when Manly let him go. He was still only aged 22.

Hasler was a great find but didnt set the world on fire when he first started at Manly. But he developed and became in my opinion one of our greatest. But he was 23 years old when he joined Manly. Fulton was prepared to help him develop but not Blake. One reason maybe was that Blake was quite smart and may have not been as easy to dictate to as Hasler was in his early years.

Blake was a confidence player who needed a coach who had confidence in him. It was quite obvious from the number of times he was placed on the reserves bench that Fulton was not prepared to make the effort.
Bozo gave the kid another crack at the big title in 83 and he failed to deliver again so you cant say he wasn't given a go .
We will agree to disagree again .

I think if hasler returns it will be in the condition that the others call the shots.

His no1 priority was to help keep dce. Then he moved into a more involved role at the club.

Perhaps once the off season signings are completed, getting hasler back is the last piece of the puzzle and therefore he will step away again and let the coach do its thing.
I really hope this happens. Cant see us being successful any time soon if it doesn't.

So Fulton basically did what Hasler did by giving ridiculous contracts to players,like back ended and lifetime contracts,that they know they won't be at the club when the proverbial hits the fan because they can't sign or re-sign players

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6