Interesting times

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Football... a game played on foot with a ball (hence the number of different sports using the word). :)

I think fox sports days are numbered. As our internet gets fast I think the NRL will start producing and selling their own content online only with channel 9 getting their share of games.
Fox pays the lion's share of the 1.8 billion broadcast deal till 2021.

NRL have no experience in content, production, marketing that could possibly rival that of Foxtel

NRL's business is running the game not competing in the broadcast arena :nerd:

Dear Miss Kate,

My parents came out to Australia from Scotland in the 40's ..... and til the time of their mortal passing .. I never heard them refer to the game as anything other than soccer .... they were foundation members of the Manly Warringah Soccer Club which played under the auspices of the NSW Soccer Association in the Australian Soccer Federation and our local news rag was the soccer post ...and it was commonly refered to as soccer in Engand until the 1980's .....

The word "soccer," which is believed to have originated in Britain some 200 years ago, comes from the official name of the sport, "association football." As other versions of the game evolved to include Rugby Football, it is believed the Brits adopted colloquialisms to distinguish each game.

"The rugby football game was shortened to 'rugger,' a term recognized in British English to the present day, and the association football game was, plausibly, shortened to 'soccer'" Szymanski writes. (Apparently ending words in "er" was a fad back then.)

Gradually, the term "soccer" gained popularity in the U.S. to distinguish the sport from American football. By the 1980s, the Brits began to part with the term, apparently, because it had become too "American."

PSS .... I have been calling it soccer all my life and I am not about to change now to please some British imperialistic conspiracy of elitist private school nancy's .......
My take on it, for what it’s worth, is if the official name of the sport is “association football” I shall continue calling it football. But each to their own - still a bloody good sport to play and watch!
PS soccer post - I used to love reading that before my Saturday game.
PPS does that make me a wanker?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/austra...to-the-end-of-the-tracks-20190514-p51nbq.html

If Rugby and the A League both don’t get any funding from Fox I cant see them surviving for very long. They are both on very thin ground as their ratings are no where near what AFL and the NRL are.

giphy.gif

Dear Mr Woodsie,

It’s football, surprisingly characterised by the ball being played by the foot.

Ball looks nothing like a foot .... and 300 million Americans can't be wrong ...

So ... by your logic what are you going to start calling Rugby League ... Handball ..... spheroid carryball .... Runkickpassball .... bashthecarryerballll ...

My take on it, for what it’s worth, is if the official name of the sport is “association football” I shall continue calling it football. But each to their own - still a bloody good sport to play and watch!
PS soccer post - I used to love reading that before my Saturday game.
PPS does that make me a wanker?

Not neccesarily ... but you are at risk of being an unwilling accomplice to pommie snobbery ...... Soccer was good enough for decades in Australia ..... our forefathers fought for the right to call a spade a spade and football soccer ......

Ummm....they elected a bloke called Trump.

Fantastic ... a religous debate raging in one thread ... and now politics raised in another .... the poor duty mod will be a nervous wreck ....

However, to respond to your observation ... Yes. they did elect trump ... but at this stage the onlly people who think that was a mistake are the left wing comedians and the thousands of Hollywood celebrities fleeing across the border and seeking asylum in Canada .

Rugby Union has destroyed itself as a spectacle by making the game all about "winning" penalties. The moment they changed penalty goals to be worth 3 points was the moment Rugby went into terminal decline as a spectacle for me.

Soccer has had a similar problem with the fake falls and the like and the fact that it's generally a boring game with very few scoring moments. Soccer will of course continue to be a blazing success internationally but locally it's as boring as bat sh1t and I just can't see it ever being much more than it is now.

AFL & NRL will fight it out in Australia with AFL most likely to continue to be the dominant player whilst ever the NRL continue to shoot itself in the foot with stupidity such as the 2 referee system and the obviously unfair and uneven competition brought about by leadership that is so utterly inept and incompetent that it beggars belief. Should the NRL be able to find a way to have Todd Greenberg installed as the AFL CEO then all of that would change quite quickly and the NRL would almost immediately become the dominant code in Australia.

Fantastic ... a religous debate raging in one thread ... and now politics raised in another .... the poor duty mod will be a nervous wreck ....

However, to respond to your observation ... Yes. they did elect trump ... but at this stage the onlly people who think that was a mistake are the left wing comedians and the thousands of Hollywood celebrities fleeing across the border and seeking asylum in Canada .
Yes. Time for a similar thread like the religion one for all things politics, where the left and the right can collide all they like...

Excuse me (you can call me a wanker if you like) but I call it football as it is a game played kicking a ball with one’s foot. Just a bit of a giveaway on the naming don’t you think??
Problem is, In Rugby League you kick the ball with your foot also, same with AFL. Come to think of it in all forms of Football the Ball is "Kicked" by a foot as you cannot kick with your hands. Clue is in the words, don't you think? SOCCER does not own the title of Football as it is shared between all the games that "KICK" the ball. So therefore to differentiate in English it is called SOCCER even though the English refer to it as Football the same way us Rugby League fans refer to our game that way. If the true name is actually Football then why don't the Italians (Who claim to have invented it) call it "piede e palla" instead of Calcio?

Canada? What's wrong with Mexico? Has anyone from Hollyweird left yet?

"Well may we say God save Israel Folau, because nothing will save Rugby Australia"

God, sport, politics

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8