Interesting times

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Wonder if there are many Union guys who could be up to N R L standard and worth poaching into the N R L ranks right now . Most likely has done his time with Manly but anyone know if Tom Wright is a regular with the Brumbies this season ?

If the worry about a possible payout of Folau bankrupting Rugby were correct .... the game already has massive problems ..

Stupid fukken game anyway ...

Soccer will survive ..... they just need to get the format right .....

PSS .. and fuk anybody that calls it football .... wankers ...

There are a few things to bring up from that article.

1. Cord cutting has been happening in the US since Netflilx started sending DVD's to your home. This isn't new, it's just down in Australia they catch on to everything when it's late in the piece.

2. "Low-cost subscription models on OTT like Netflix, Stan and now Kayo are cannibalising the traditional STV model of Foxtel."

They are low cost individually but collectively you end up paying the same or more per month that you did with foxtel if you want to cover all your bases. So there is a move to cord cutting NOW but if Foxtel can re-enter the market with more attractive pricing there will be a shift back, especially under the Foxtel Now banner. That will take time but can happen.

3. The first casualty of this will be the womens sports. They've been pushed aggressively by the left by there is little demand in the entertainment market for a product that is just not on par from an entertainment perspective as the mens version.

4. An aside - if you have an iphone and you want to get around paywalls (eg DT) - in the Shortcuts app there is a Bypass Paywall shortcut you can download that routes say a DT link through facebook then gives you the behind the paywall DT story.

Wonder if there are many Union guys who could be up to N R L standard and worth poaching into the N R L ranks right now . Most likely has done his time with Manly but anyone know if Tom Wright is a regular with the Brumbies this season ?
Not in Australia, NZ in the other hand would have plenty. I’d like to see Manly target some like they did in the early 90s

Not in Australia, NZ in the other hand would have plenty. I’d like to see Manly target some like they did in the early 90s
True - easier breaking into Fort Knox than the All Blacks and we have made that Christchurch connection too.

Rugby is going broke before every world cup, then they get a boost and it keeps them going. Been happening for the last four or five cycles.

Rugby, especially Super Rugby, is a rubbish product, SA rules SANZ(A)R. Foley issue is a big problem for Rugby Australia as a third of the team is Poly (similar with league I guess) but their major sponsor is run by a homosexual. (Plus no hope of gaining further decent sponsors with their terrible product & results) ... They either lose the team or the sponsorship money. Half the rugby supporters I know say they will not fly Qantas anymore lol ... Joyce is simply on record saying:

“We don’t sponsor something to get involved in controversy. That’s not part of the deal,” Joyce told the Australian Financial Review.

“We expect our partners to take the appropriate action. It’s their issue, they have to deal with it’’

But in a warning of what to expect should Rugby Australia be embroiled in another similar controversy, Joyce, an openly gay man, added that he expected measures to be put in place to prevent it happening again.

“It’s not an issue for Qantas, it’s an issue for every potential sponsor for Rugby Australia, ever,” Joyce said.

“They have to manage it ... and shame on you if it happens a second time. That’s the way we approach it in the aviation industry, and we expect these organisations to be the same.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/couple...y/news-story/2017d7fea643d65c81eead1c538c5c2e

I think fox sports days are numbered. As our internet gets fast I think the NRL will start producing and selling their own content online only with channel 9 getting their share of games.
They'd have to be able to monetise that in a big way though. They exist on the basis of the cash injected by the broadcasters who are paying overs. If you take a big chunk of that away the whole model collapses.

League seems like a situation where everyone is losing money just at differing speeds...

Excuse me (you can call me a wanker if you like) but I call it football as it is a game played kicking a ball with one’s foot. Just a bit of a giveaway on the naming don’t you think??

Dear Miss Kate,

My parents came out to Australia from Scotland in the 40's ..... and til the time of their mortal passing .. I never heard them refer to the game as anything other than soccer .... they were foundation members of the Manly Warringah Soccer Club which played under the auspices of the NSW Soccer Association in the Australian Soccer Federation and our local news rag was the soccer post ...and it was commonly refered to as soccer in Engand until the 1980's .....

The word "soccer," which is believed to have originated in Britain some 200 years ago, comes from the official name of the sport, "association football." As other versions of the game evolved to include Rugby Football, it is believed the Brits adopted colloquialisms to distinguish each game.

"The rugby football game was shortened to 'rugger,' a term recognized in British English to the present day, and the association football game was, plausibly, shortened to 'soccer'" Szymanski writes. (Apparently ending words in "er" was a fad back then.)

Gradually, the term "soccer" gained popularity in the U.S. to distinguish the sport from American football. By the 1980s, the Brits began to part with the term, apparently, because it had become too "American."

PSS .... I have been calling it soccer all my life and I am not about to change now to please some British imperialistic conspiracy of elitist private school nancy's .......

They'd have to be able to monetise that in a big way though. They exist on the basis of the cash injected by the broadcasters who are paying overs. If you take a big chunk of that away the whole model collapses.

League seems like a situation where everyone is losing money just at differing speeds...
They way it was explained to me is what they would lose in broadcasting themselves they would make up tenfold in selling advertising during the broadcast. There’s a reason advertising during super Saturday is some of the dearest on fox.

They way it was explained to me is what they would lose in broadcasting themselves they would make up tenfold in selling advertising during the broadcast. There’s a reason advertising during super Saturday is some of the dearest on fox.
Yeah true but in the same way they're noticing cord cutting - I think the analytics are showing advertising costs don't lead to ad revenue. The only advertising platforms that make money are Facebook and Google...

Last edited:
@Woodsie - I grew up in England, just outside of London and we always referred to it as football so I will carry on as will you, just in different directions ⚽⚽⚽

Dear Miss Kate,

My parents came out to Australia from Scotland in the 40's ..... and til the time of their mortal passing .. I never heard them refer to the game as anything other than soccer .... they were foundation members of the Manly Warringah Soccer Club which played under the auspices of the NSW Soccer Association in the Australian Soccer Federation and our local news rag was the soccer post ...and it was commonly refered to as soccer in Engand until the 1980's .....

The word "soccer," which is believed to have originated in Britain some 200 years ago, comes from the official name of the sport, "association football." As other versions of the game evolved to include Rugby Football, it is believed the Brits adopted colloquialisms to distinguish each game.

"The rugby football game was shortened to 'rugger,' a term recognized in British English to the present day, and the association football game was, plausibly, shortened to 'soccer'" Szymanski writes. (Apparently ending words in "er" was a fad back then.)

Gradually, the term "soccer" gained popularity in the U.S. to distinguish the sport from American football. By the 1980s, the Brits began to part with the term, apparently, because it had become too "American."

PSS .... I have been calling it soccer all my life and I am not about to change now to please some British imperialistic conspiracy of elitist private school nancy's .......

Dear Mr Woodsie,

It’s football, surprisingly characterised by the ball being played by the foot.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4