Inexperienced coach

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Sue

Bencher
I know a few guys who played under Green at Wynnum where he won premierships.Every one has said he is a good coach but the type who overplays the strict discipline approach ( much like Brian Smith ) and eventually he tends to lose the players.
He also has a roster that on average is 29.3 years old. That is ridiculous. I had a very large bet before a ball was kicked that they would miss the eight for the two reasons above. I collected off my buddy yesterday.

He is a good coach with a roster that is simply too old and with a premiership under their belts The drive is just not there.one extra year is a long time when a lot of guys are 30 plus

Last edited:

Simonmyers11

First Grader
Biggest disappointment this year are the losses to poor teams. Parra, Newcastle twice, titans, canberra. We actually play better against the better sides. But we had a great draw and needed to win at least 3 or 4 more of those games.

Playing crocker at 5/8 (had no one else) and injuries cruelled our start to this season. If we play those teams again now with the way we have been playing over the past 4 weeks we win 3 or 4 of those matches.

A full strength side with now a decent half that can all stay fit and healthy and we would win a lot of games. Not writing this season off yet though

This just proves my point. When you don’t have the greatest team in history and have salary cap constraints like all teams you need coaches who can get the most out of 25 or so players who are NOT in the class of Smith Cronk etc That’s what good coaches do. Get their players to play to their potential. Most on here say we have good players. Last week we had endless posts about how good how players are , how the newcomers have stepped up .Well wtf is the problem then ? Can’t have it both ways.

And for the record I like our roster . Top 8 every time if they play to their strengths.

Who has the youngest team in the NRL? Manly

Which team has used the most players in the NRL this season? Manly (Penrith are likely up there too but they also have the largest juniors system in the NRL with a first grade team of players in depth so not a fair comparison )

I am sorry, but you out those two factors together and you have a recipe for inconsistency. Every day of the week.

Add to that Barrett openly wanted an experienced halves partner for DCE and got shafted by the NRL when they would not allow us to sign a replacement for Green. (And I am sick of the "aSo stupid to release Green" stuff. The bloke was not turning up to training and was going to do Mitchell Moses on the club, so had to go)

We had halves on Friday night, who between them have kicked 32 field goals in NRL matches.

I think those 2 have enough experience between them to organise a team for a field goal.

When we have a season with 20 players used and are sitting where we are, I will happily jump on the bag Barrett bandwagon.

Until then, I think its utter rubbish that this falls at Barrett's feet.

But that's just my opinion.

Sue

Bencher
But they didnt organise the field goal did they? And over the last three years we haven’t organised field goals. In fact our efforts have been embarrasing. DCE brilliance has got a few over, not game
management.

Field goal setups are basic essential parts of a coaching set up. 3 years in and we get nothing but outright panic.That is the rubbish yiu are referring to.

And you speak of juniors. It may have escaped your attention but we have won the 20s and made a grand final while Barrett has been there in the last 3 years. As good or better than most I suggest.Whether they are home grown or not they are at the club.Its how they are developed that matters.

Last edited:

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
But they didnt organise the field goal did they? And over the last three years we haven’t organised field goals. In fact our efforts have been embarrasing. DCE brilliance has got a few over, not game
management.

Field goal setups are basic essential parts of a coaching set up. 3 years in and we get nothing but outright panic.That is the rubbish yiu are referring to.

And you speak of juniors. It may have escaped your attention but we have won the 20s and made a grand final while Barrett has been there in the last 3 years. As good or better than most I suggest.Whether they are home grown or not they are at the club.Its how they are developed that matters.

Are you now seriously suggesting that field goal set-ups are not a part of regular training .... next you will be suggesting they didn't do ball work because little billy left the ball at home ....

However .. I think you missed or ignored the Beavers point ..... between them DCE and Hodko have kicked 36 field goals .... if an Australian rep and a SOO rep with those credentials can't organise a field goal on their own ... twice ... we are all doomed and thinking Baz is at fault lunacy ....

management.

Hahahahahahaha OK, its Barrett fault we did not kick a field goal and close out the match on Friday. Yikes.

We have beaten teams in the past 3 years with field goals at the death. We have won golden point games. But the wins are flukes and the losses are Barrett's fault......and you tell others they "can't have it both ways" :wasntme:

And no, thanks for the update on us winning the under 20's. I did not know! lol

They did fantasically well to win that GF. I know also that the forward pack that day was man handled by the opposition and we won on the brilliance of a few players.

How many brilliant under 20s stars go onto be brilliant first graders? (Here a hint.....not many)

So having a MASSIVE junior development program DOES make a big difference to depth. As a lot of the select few stars of under 20s do not progress. So it well and truly does become a numbers game.

Anyway, youngest team in the comp, most players used......damn you Barrett!!!!!

Simonmyers11

First Grader
Who has the youngest team in the NRL? Manly

Which team has used the most players in the NRL this season? Manly (Penrith are likely up there too but they also have the largest juniors system in the NRL with a first grade team of players in depth so not a fair comparison )

I am sorry, but you out those two factors together and you have a recipe for inconsistency. Every day of the week.

Add to that Barrett openly wanted an experienced halves partner for DCE and got shafted by the NRL when they would not allow us to sign a replacement for Green. (And I am sick of the "aSo stupid to release Green" stuff. The bloke was not turning up to training and was going to do Mitchell Moses on the club, so had to go)

We had halves on Friday night, who between them have kicked 32 field goals in NRL matches.

I think those 2 have enough experience between them to organise a team for a field goal.

When we have a season with 20 players used and are sitting where we are, I will happily jump on the bag Barrett bandwagon.

Until then, I think its utter rubbish that this falls at Barrett's feet.

But that's just my opinion.
I agree bud. I think the future looks bright. We have a young talented squad who are only going to get better and think baz can guide us to more success.

The missing link was the 5/8 and i think trent will do a good job, just the player dce and the team needs, plus is an 80% goal kicker. Need a bit of luck with injuries, but when we get a full and firing squad on the park we can compete with any side in the comp.

Bellyache must also be a shi-t house coach because the Storm aren't travelling as well as they have in the past. When we played the Storm they made a million errors. The inexperienced Bellyache forgot to tell them to play disciplined football. You need to remind the players every week because they are all dumb motherfukers. It's all TB's fault we are in this position on the ladder. It's his fault that he can't seem to get the best out of the highly regarded international Lewis Brown, get fumble fuk uate to hold onto the ball, or get DCE to kick a field goal. TB really needs to go back to school so we can win a premiership ... end of sarcasm.

Manly at full strength are a top 8 roster, they have recruited well with the limited funds and 1970's facilities we have to attract players.Yes there is still plenty of dead wood but more than enough talent sprinkled around the squad to be competitive.

Look at the upside, season is over but the gamblers here(not me) should get good returns on a few Manly wins.

I agree bud. I think the future looks bright. We have a young talented squad who are only going to get better and think baz can guide us to more success.

The missing link was the 5/8 and i think trent will do a good job, just the player dce and the team needs, plus is an 80% goal kicker. Need a bit of luck with injuries, but when we get a full and firing squad on the park we can compete with any side in the comp.
One of the main issues i have is that for far too long DCE's development has been hamstrung due to playing more like a 5/8 at times of his career behind second man depth plays on the right. Playing this way will not develop composure and straightness game management through the middle and takes away a half backs leadership presence positional wise.

If DCE was capable of commanding the middle, keeps it straight, reduces the lazy under plays, stops the side ways running and just takes the line on instead with show and goes when nothing is happening it would actually take pressure off the 5/8 edge plays or players shifted into that role.

Manly are in reverse needing a composed more game management like player to compliment and help DCE, given DCE has been in the squad for 7 years this should be his bread and butter.(now he is seen as an instinctive edge right side player with all round skills that don't get used often enough)

bob dylan

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Trent's down to 42.62 win% as a coach, and regressing. This places him 11 spots worse off than Nathan Brown all time. That's 153/292 coaches ever.

Geoff Toovey was the 42nd best coach ever (results wise) 58.1% win record
Des Hasler was the 41st best coach ever (results wise) 58.2 win record

Cant be right.

I heard it was a results driven business.

Simonmyers11

First Grader
One of the main issues i have is that for far too long DCE's development has been hamstrung due to playing more like a 5/8 at times of his career behind second man depth plays on the right. Playing this way will not develop composure and straightness game management through the middle and takes away a half backs leadership presence positional wise.

If DCE was capable of commanding the middle, keeps it straight, reduces the lazy under plays, stops the side ways running and just takes the line on instead with show and goes when nothing is happening it would actually take pressure off the 5/8 edge plays or players shifted into that role.

Manly are in reverse needing a composed more game management like player to compliment and help DCE, given DCE has been in the squad for 7 years this should be his bread and butter.(now he is seen as an instinctive edge right side player with all round skills that don't get used often enough)
Of Course DCE has developed. Last year was his best ever and is playing dam well at the moment.

When will you people learn, he is not a game management type of player. He is an off the cusp type of player who's best attributes are his running game. He is an awesome talent. He also has a great kicking game and makes a mountain of tackles every game.

All the best half combinations have a mix of a general play maker and more of a running half. Just because he wears the 7, he plays more like a 5/8. And plays both well on the left and right as seen by last year, which shows he has developed since the hasler days.

I think this year he has missed his short kicking game a little compared to last year, but last year he had green to help out so teams were not pressuring him as much as they have been for most of the year as crocker didn't even attempt any kicks. And on friday i think api gives him better service than brown for the shot at FG.

I think you will see less of the side ways running now that he has trent inside him to help with the under plays to the forwards and will get better service from trent so that he can hit the line running and then deliver the select pass or go himself.

Of Course DCE has developed. Last year was his best ever and is playing dam well at the moment.

When will you people learn, he is not a game management type of player. He is an off the cusp type of player who's best attributes are his running game. He is an awesome talent. He also has a great kicking game and makes a mountain of tackles every game.

All the best half combinations have a mix of a general play maker and more of a running half. Just because he wears the 7, he plays more like a 5/8. And plays both well on the left and right as seen by last year, which shows he has developed since the hasler days.

I think this year he has missed his short kicking game a little compared to last year, but last year he had green to help out so teams were not pressuring him as much as they have been for most of the year as crocker didn't even attempt any kicks. And on friday i think api gives him better service than brown for the shot at FG.

I think you will see less of the side ways running now that he has trent inside him to help with the under plays to the forwards and will get better service from trent so that he can hit the line running and then deliver the select pass or go himself.
His running game is not consistent enough and i never said he is a game management player(he obviously isn't) i'm saying if you command the high pay packets it should be part of his repertoire considering he has been in the halves at Manly for 7 years.

Thurston for too long was just a left edge player to the Cowboys detriment, i'm not his biggest fan from a skillset point of view but later on his career he started to take more ownership all over the park.

It's not about being able to play on the right also it is about controlling the middle, drawing a line in the sand for his forwards, playing straight and square through the middle and a running game that can also attack through the middle taking advantage of tiring forwards.

Now when Hodkinson is injured or no longer at the club we have to purchase another experienced game management half on big dollars, with Cronk for example the Storm could slot in several 5/8's even ones lacking ball playing abilities and still have a winning ratio.

wombatgc

KT 623
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Bellyache must also be a shi-t house coach because the Storm aren't travelling as well as they have in the past. When we played the Storm they made a million errors. The inexperienced Bellyache forgot to tell them to play disciplined football. You need to remind the players every week because they are all dumb motherfukers. It's all TB's fault we are in this position on the ladder. It's his fault that he can't seem to get the best out of the highly regarded international Lewis Brown, get fumble fuk uate to hold onto the ball, or get DCE to kick a field goal. TB really needs to go back to school so we can win a premiership ... end of sarcasm.
fumble fuk Uate @:D

TokyoEagle

Bencher
IMO, we are being ridden to the line by the referees, who, if it were in a horse race, would be banned for life for excessive use of the whip. Friday nights effort was a perfect example. The only thing I would like is to be given an equal opportunity to show where we are at. Ain't going to happen with the state of the game at the moment. We even have the introduction of new rules mid season in an effort to increase the number of penalties (The new throwing the ball into a player from the dummy half) Forgive me my French, but, how the #%"$ did we get to this stage?

Oh... and we can't hold on to the ball to save our lives. Tip jar time for mine. Will make for one hell of piss up come seasons end in August.

manly al

First Grader
Be interesting if Manly had won those very winnable and close matches this season against the Knights [ twice ] Titans , Roosters and recently Raiders and then would have virtually been in the top four , would there be much or any degree of doubt or particular scrutiny on Barrett"s coaching ability at the present time . .M y recollections of these outcomes and marginal losses seemed to be mainly attributed and caused by poor completion rates , ill discipline and conceding cheap penalties , wrong options and failure to close down games . Hardly the fault of Barrett , nor the injuries or the intentional interference that prevented Manly from acquiring a recognized 5 / 8 pre season . Hopefully with more game time , Hodko can provide some more productive organizing around the general ruck area and particularly in the opposition"s red zone . Certainly Barrett also has to take some responsibility for his charges overall performances and results but there is only so much any N R L coach can control and on any fair and practical assessment of this year"s results to date , he can hardly be blamed in any major way if the required consistency and discipline from the team and [ certainly from some key players ] has been lacking in quite a few games this season .

Sue

Bencher
Hahahahahahaha OK, its Barrett fault we did not kick a field goal and close out the match on Friday. Yikes.

We have beaten teams in the past 3 years with field goals at the death. We have won golden point games. But the wins are flukes and the losses are Barrett's fault......and you tell others they "can't have it both ways" :wasntme:

And no, thanks for the update on us winning the under 20's. I did not know! lol

They did fantasically well to win that GF. I know also that the forward pack that day was man handled by the opposition and we won on the brilliance of a few players.

How many brilliant under 20s stars go onto be brilliant first graders? (Here a hint.....not many)

So having a MASSIVE junior development program DOES make a big difference to depth. As a lot of the select few stars of under 20s do not progress. So it well and truly does become a numbers game.

Anyway, youngest team in the comp, most players used......damn you Barrett!!!!!

If you think our team, which does have a lot of talent, plays with a plan and purpose and shows even a modicum of composure that 3 years under the same coach should develop then that’s fine.
I disagree totally. We play like a team of very talented individuals and collapse under pressure when the heat is on. Last years semi loss to Penrith after drubbing them the week before is a classic example. Zero plan, red zone attack was child like. Watch the game. That is our blueprint at the moment.

10th, out first week of semis, fighting to miss the spoon halfway through the season is a 3 year report card that doesn’t cut it I’m afraid.Its as simple as that.If your happy with that then that’s just fine as well.

And we did t lose that game by not kicking a field goal. We lost it because we played the last 10 minutes as a whole like a kids side as they gifted us possession after possession. Well coached sides capitalise on situations like that. Simple basic fundamentals.That last 10 minutes was hard to watch it was so clueless.

Last edited:

Sue

Bencher
Bellamy has coached Storm for 16 years and not missed the semis in a dozen years. As much as I hate them they just keep doing it year in year out. To pick out one performance is ludicrous but I’m sure you know that.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
I know a few guys who played under Green at Wynnum where he won premierships.Every one has said he is a good coach but the type who overplays the strict discipline approach ( much like Brian Smith ) and eventually he tends to lose the players.
He also has a roster that on average is 29.3 years old. That is ridiculous. I had a very large bet before a ball was kicked that they would miss the eight for the two reasons above. I collected off my buddy yesterday.

He is a good coach with a roster that is simply too old and with a premiership under their belts The drive is just not there.one extra year is a long time when a lot of guys are 30 plus

Personally, I could never understand why the Cows were labelled as 2018 premiership favourites (along with the Chooks) during the pre-season. Sure they came alive in the Finals last year, but their form throughout the 2017 was patchy at best and the fact remains that they only even made the Finals because St Merge choked in the last round against the Dogs. And what I thought would happen has, Thurston and Scott returning to the side has actually had a negative effect.

Still, knowing our luck this year (and now I've said this), Thurston will probably put in a blinder on Thursday.....

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 78 22
13 9 4 110 20
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 7 37 16