Improved Right side attack

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Big improvements these past couple of games with simpler more direct hole running plays playing at or through the line with back rowers and backs hitting straight lines---less trying to finesse our plays around the defence with scripted sweeping plays that are used too early in the game.

Playing the simple flat lead running option early on sucks outside defenders in setting up the pet plays for Stewart later on which is what i've been wanting to see for a long time. DCE ball playing 15-20mtrs in from touch on the right edge leaves plenty of room for a variety of options and plays and also more space to flood with extra hole runners to draw in defenders.

Our go forward was not that great against the Broncos due to our shallow forward rotation but it upped the ante enough times throughout the game when required. Our defence is not as good as past years especially up the middle and wrapping up the ball needs to improve big time.

What i liked about the Warriors performance was although they chanced their arm with offloads etc it had a purpose beyond just second phase play for the sake of it. Offloads and constant changes of direction to tire and not allow the Storm to dominate the ruck with numbers combined with simple sharp up the middle runs showed this Warriors team is a step up from previous squads.

Manly 08 showed what was required to beat the Storm and other teams are following our lead.

LOL. Maybe Dessie has finally read all your posts and fixed that crappy RHS attack. As if.

If I understand what you've written, the RHS attack has improved because Glen hasn't been playing? So this could mean that they'll go back to their bad habits again on Sunday?

He sure did--- why do you think the contract extension negotiations are on hold---Dessie is looking at increasing his Technical Staff by one hence the need to increase his salary package as a way to fit this person in.

We need Glen in for added variation but i want him to play a more aggressive straight approach and ball playing as a second option.

My tip is we should win but i am nowhere near as confident as i was before 08 our defence is not as composed out wide and there are more gaps up the middle. If we struggle with our go forward in the first 15-20m and not put on a try or two within 25mins its time to start worrying.

If the go forward is there but have not put on any points we should come home in the second half strongly.

Interesting analysis TC and this game will be a mighty arm wrestle for first 40-60 mins. Either side could get a roll on after the 'in the trenches' phase.

Hopefully Des has some tactical moves still up his sleeve, and the big Warriors forwards tire after the intensity of 50-60 mins wears them down - however their defensive energy all game against the Storm was admirable and never really let up.

May the best team on the day win - and hopefully this will be Manly!!

I think our defense out wide if pretty good, the only tries scored against us lately seem to all come from kicks.

How do you think our right hand side attack will go against Johnson/Brown who are both poor defenders?

The Warriors have a lot more defensive problems then us.

I thought the defence was pretty solid against a team going all out in th 2nd half. It was a scramble but it wasn't a storm type systematic attack we were up against. so it was good practice for the gf.

special mention to dce and lyon on the right side edge defence: absolutely immense!

So long as Choc and George don't turn the ball over cheaply. Both did against Broncos and we got away with it, though it might have been an easier win if they hadn't.

The major improvement imo has ben Lyon getting early ball, with Gift offering many options at times we seem to rely too much on him to create. The combination of early ball to Lyon & Gift producing his deft touch will be quite good come Sunday. :D

Technical Coach said:
If we struggle with our go forward in the first 15-20m and not put on a try or two within 25mins its time to start worrying.

I don't know about that TC. We went into the sheds on a nil score line against the Cowboys a couple of weeks ago. Didn't seem to do much harm :)

The only thing that concerns me about the Warriors is the offloads. Broncos made some real inroads into our defence off the back of second phase play. I think our line drops back too quick getting ready for the next play the ball so a late off load leaves us a little vulnerable. Hopefully because of the occasion, awareness will be paramount and getting found out in such a way won't occur.

WAMF said:
Technical Coach said:
If we struggle with our go forward in the first 15-20m and not put on a try or two within 25mins its time to start worrying.

I don't know about that TC. We went into the sheds on a nil score line against the Cowboys a couple of weeks ago. Didn't seem to do much harm :)

I never fear the Cowboys while Thurston(alone) is at the helm so our go forward and bad attack was never punished---against an in form Warriors it's a different story.

It's not about the nil nil score line---we can go in nil/ nil as long as our go forward is good---i'm confident we can pull away in the second half.

First bad signs for Manly is when we start to really push the slowing the play the ball limits to 08/09 levels---we have cleaned up this side of our play big time this year but it still happens under pressure.

Teams that have muscled up and matched Manly physically like Souths both games Parra and Tigers were able to drain our pack through the grind. Our go forward was poor leading to more offload risks in our half, poor defensive decisions under fatigue and lop sided penalty counts leading to a rush of points against us.(we can drop our intensity levels real fast at times)

The good thing is we have the points in us to get out of trouble and the Warriors can leak points---composure and repeat sets are the key which was lacking in the second half against the Bronco's.

Members online

No members online now.
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4