Immortals and Hall of Famers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
This is a good reflection on The nrl at the moment... Knee-jerk crap.

Last I heard there were rules to this, 1 immortal every 4 years, maximum 2..
Soo.. Of course they put 5 in...
This year should have been about proven and messenger.. They had to happen, with the dally m's and the proven on the trophy and all... But adding meninga was just to appease this current generation, and I'm not sure why the 2 pre ww2 guys couldn't have waited til nxt cycle if they wanted them in.. (no disrespect to them, I just have no idea who they are)..
Changing the rules mid awards, sounds pretty familiar from this disgrace of a league atm

Don't really agree with Meninga personally. I reckon it was just to appease QLD's after the Johns pick. Mal was put in high regard because he was a big guy that ran over wingers and like the current crop of QLD players over-rated. He didn't change the way the game was played and when you compare him to so many other superstars from the same era he was an outstanding player but not above them. Langer, Stuart had a bigger impact on the game. Talent around in those days was obscene.
I have to agree with you about Meninga, no way is he in the same class as the earlier immortals, purely a political selection, as for Norm Provan, great front rower but hardly what you would call a game changer like Fulton.
All of this proves is that how diluted the Immortal status has become and will do so even further.

Don't really agree with Meninga personally. I reckon it was just to appease QLD's after the Johns pick. Mal was put in high regard because he was a big guy that ran over wingers and like the current crop of QLD players over-rated. He didn't change the way the game was played and when you compare him to so many other superstars from the same era he was an outstanding player but not above them. Langer, Stuart had a bigger impact on the game. Talent around in those days was obscene.

Im the same on meninga. He had some great games but he had games where he didnt contribute. At times he was very much a T Rex style player without the cheer squad. At times he could go 6 weeks without washing his jumper.

She got him on a tight leash now.lol

Very, actually I’m surprised she hasn’t given him the flick!!

But I’m guessing it’s to do with potential money earning and keeping her in the manner to which she is accustomed!!

Please ladies don’t shoot me down for saying that but I think most of you would give any of your husbands / partners the flick if you found them rooting around with someone else!!

Last edited:
I don't agree with Meninga. He was a good player but he was no Fulton.
If I was him, I'd be slightly (actually very) embarrassed to be named in front of the others like Provan.

A hall of fame inductee....no problem.

I don't agree with Meninga, I do think his status as Qld coach that won however many has muddied the view on Meninga. I can agree on Hall of Fame, but not Immortal.

Provan?? Not sold, I never saw, but my dad says what others have. Good player in a great team, but not an amazing player.

I think Dally Messenger is warranted.

5 in one night...........completely disagree with. To me it's 1 (maybe 2) every 7-10 years. You can't suddenly have 20+, which we will soon.

About time Norm Provan was made an Immortal. I think it was an absolute travesty that not only was Johns made one before him, but that Johns is even one of them. Hall of Fame maybe, but in no way, shape or form should he have been a Rugby League Immortal.

Sorry guys but I have to disagree with you about Meninga. Just me I guess, but his record speaks for itself.

Well done to Cliffy and Beaver for their HoF selections. Very much deserved.

I also agree Brett Kenny should have been there. One of the best players I have ever seen regardless of that club he played for (or the one he spent a season with in England).

Immortals should be left as is and stopped. Too much potential to cause controversy, disagreement, and suspicions real or imagined of politicising (see the Billy Slater State of Origin uproar).
A strong well voted Hall of Fame is all the NRL needs. The greats of our game should be equals in their own special "club", not have some sitting at the head table.

And.....Malcolm Knox SMH Aug 3 2018........

The Immortals as a concept is already on its last legs

Immortality isn’t what it used to be, but then, as some would say, it never was.

First it was reserved for gods and then their earthly representatives, the Pharaohs. Within a couple of millennia, eternal life had branched out to sub-Pharaohs, Pharaonic staff members, then Sons of gods, and then their followers, and before long if you got to the end of your life as a mere mortal you would feel, like Andrew Webster said after the SCG function on Wednesday night, ‘as if you’d done something wrong’. (A witticism that deserves to live on, if not into eternity, at least until next weekend.)

What I am about to say should not be taken as any kind of criticism of the judging panel for the rugby league Immortals, who are great heroes or gentlemen of the game, some managing to be both. Nor is it to question their knowledge or judgment. But they have been caught up in a process that this week has taken on a life of its own which is far from immortal. This week it turned the corner towards its endpoint.

Five more Immortals, bringing the number to 13, is both too many and too few. Too many, because it hastens the inevitable problem of oversupply and declining value, and too few, because the nature of the process insults those who are left out. Nobody has done anything wrong here, but Immortality is entering its old age.

Continues at: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...already-on-its-last-legs-20180803-p4zvbt.html

My enemy is my enemy's friend ... or Roosters

Malcolm Knox SMH - 5 Oct 2013

The first rugby league game I remember was the Manly-Easts grand final of 1972. Manly's 19-14 win injected this six-year-old with the joy and burden of lifelong Sea Eagles fandom.

It was a controversial match, and had a couple of refereeing decisions gone the other way I would be supporting the Roosters this Sunday.

It is time, as much as place, that creates rugby league fans. A core of Manly and Roosters followers came to the game in the mid-1970s and are now in their 40s, just as there is a bell curve of Canterbury and Parramatta fans now in their 30s, Broncos fans in their 20s and St George, Balmain and Souths fans in their 50s and 60s.

Among the many reasons for choosing a team as your own, winning a premiership when you are a fervent under-10 must be among the most potent.

Story continues: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/my-enemy-is-my-enemys-friend--or-roosters-20131004-2uztl.html

Last edited:
I agree @Mark from Brisbane they got it right.

Now they have 13 Immortals. Personally I think they should add the 5 Team Of Century Players to take the total to 18.

Add Hall, Irvine, Bevan, Kelly and Coote.

Then 1 Immortal every 10 years.

That way I wont live long enough see all of Smith, Slater, Inglis, Thurston and Lockyer inducted
Bob McCarthy never seems to figure in calculations for immortality. And from way back, Joe ‘Chimpy’ Busch. Or Duncan Thompson. George Treeeeke. Vic Hey,

Anyone listening to sampson choke on her words every time she had to say sea eagles or Manly would make one think she doesn't like us. I guess that's why she mentioned Norths when introducing Cliffy.

Pathetic, tribally aligned, agenda pushing, tiny tiny humans. - Perfect for the nrl.

Well done Cliffy and Steven! (and the others)
Are you sure she wasn’t just recovering from choking on something else? Or is it pretty small?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8