I'll fight for Sydney clubs: Gallop

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
NRL chief executive David Gallop responded to calls for Sydney clubs to be culled by making a shock offer to prop them up financially.

As Sonny Bill Williams' defection to rugby union continued to prompt calls for a return to Perth, Adelaide and other expansion areas, Gallop made a landmark statement when quizzed by The Daily Telegraph.

There may be long-standing incentives on offer for clubs to relocate - but the NRL is also willing to consider helping them stay put.

"We're not in the situation that the AFL in Melbourne is in, where clubs are actually getting financial assistance," he said. "But if it gets to that point we'll have to consider that to maintain our saturation coverage across the city."

Asked if he thought the NRL would be needed to bail out cash-strapped Sydney clubs, Gallop said: "Not at the moment."

While Gallop has previously offered up to $11million to clubs which relocate, there has never before been any indication the NRL would help teams remain in Sydney.

Expansionists have come out of the woodwork since Williams boarded a plane to Toulon on Saturday, saying the only way the game can maximise its television and sponsorship revenue is by going everywhere from previously abandoned WA and South Australia to Coffs Harbour, Darwin, Port Moresby, Ipswich, Wellington and the Sunshine Coast.

Roosters coach Brad Fittler joined the likes of CEOs Michael Searle, Brian Waldron and Bruno Cullen in calling for further expansion and/or relocation - at the expense of traditional teams.

But in a hard-hitting interview, Gallop declared Perth and Adelaide will not be ready for the new TV contract in 2013.

"I'm not a fan of the idea that cutting teams in Sydney is the answer," he said.

"People are quick to say 'Let's cut clubs' but they're not so quick to say which ones. Culling Sydney teams ignores the huge advantage we get with saturation in the most competitive market in the country.

"Apart from the pain it causes for fans, it leaves holes for other codes to fill. Look at the north shore since the Bears left the comp."Does the game really want places like Cronulla or Penrith or Campbelltown or Manly to have no rugby league team?

"I don't think Perth and Adelaide will be ready, there won't be the interest ... by then."

Gallop said his stand was based partly on the geographical differences between Sydney and Melbourne.

"We've got quite isolated communities in some of the places that I just named," he said.

"Manly is an example of a community that is actually reasonably isolated. There are people who drive over the Spit Bridge on Friday night and have no intention of going back until Monday morning.

"There's a good chance if there's no team playing out of Brookvale, those people are not going to the footy.

"Penrith the same, Cronulla the same. In Melbourne, people tend to travel into the city to the grounds with relative ease."

He repeated early comments that "the Central Coast is the obvious next target".

"The simple fact is that Coffs Harbour and the Sunshine Coast don't have the facility or the community to support a football club that needs to be turning over at least $12million a year," he said in response to Fittler's comments.

"We certainly want to do some work to research growth areas and look at where our best returns will come from.

"We've already started that project."

Gallop quote, "Look at the North shore since the Bears left the comp".  In another article he talks about the lift in attendances.  wtf?  Did he mean that by chucking the Hapless Bears out, attendances lifted?  Obviously you can grow the game by getting rid of Sydney teams.  Newtown, Balmain, Bears are just three examples of rational club pruning. Under Gallop you'd still be able to see Glebe running around if his mantra stood over the last 100 years.  OK it would be harder now with entrenched fiefdoms in the remaining clubs, but strength in leadership is now required.  The Western Reds need to be resusitated and then move into other areas.  Souths Cronulla Parramatta and one other (not us) need to be relocated.  The problem with Gallop is that he's only looking at the bend in the road rather than the road ahead.  He's a ditherer.   

I reckon 3 clubs could be ditched pretty easily but those fans might be lost to the game altogether so we are not expanding but shrinking the supporter base

The best thing the NRL could do is to make Souths and roosters, cronulla and St george and Penrif and Parra merge.

What supporters they lose from these teams they would easily pick up triple that number by starting teams in Perth, Adelaide and a second team in Brisbane.   

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6