If you could pick one player to strengthen the team . . .

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Masked Eagle said:
Matt Scott is the best prop in the game so he'd fit in. But as much as I despise him its got to be Cameron Smith. Don't get me wrong, I love Matty Ballin but he is just playing his role and really isn't dangerous out of dummy half. The sole reason why the Storm are 2nd on the ladder is Cameron Smith. His value as a hooker has increased this year with everyother no 9 struggling to make any inroads with the changes at the ruck (look at the dip in form of Farah, Ennis, Luke), Cameron Smith has still been the most dangerous Storm player. You stop him, you stop the Storm. What he is able to do at the ruck with and hold up the markers is what gives some terrible Storm forwards the chance to make metres, if he wasn't there they'd be lucky to get past the advantage line. He also makes Cooper Cronk look better than he is. I think he'd help the go forward of all our forwards as well help make our halves direct play.

No question Smith is the best no 9 in the comp, however matty ballin is an integral part of our team and does a lot of stuff that goes unnoticed like 50 tackles a game. He is tough as they come and rarely makes an error. I agree he is not as skillful as smith however there is plenty of skill in our team so it's not a major issue.

I think we are strong enough. If we had to pick someone though i am a Dave Taylor fan. Very versitile

dowdz said:
I think we are strong enough. If we had to pick someone though i am a Dave Taylor fan. Very versitile

the bloke needs someone to put some string in his shorts to keep them up! (same for hindmarsh)We wouldn't want that barge a**e flashing at brookie every 2nd week!!

Adam Woolnough. I've always thought if he teamed up with Watmough it would be outstanding.

Getting a bit queasy all this cameron smith admiration. Wish I could disagree. But I do think the net gain would not be that worth it for us (as said above): we have well structured attack on both sides of the ruck and playmakers who need the ball lots. Ballin's dummy half job + all the work he does up the guts pretty much suits us down to the ground.

Matt Scott, or some other superfit battering ram.

Glen Hall he was the brick wall in defence that was one of the main reasons we won 2008. Ever since he went to the cowboys their luck has changed. Losing him was a disaster.

Terry-Randal said:
Glen Hall he was the brick wall in defence that was one of the main reasons we won 2008. Ever since he went to the cowboys their luck has changed. Losing him was a disaster.

Couldn't agree more. Glenn has been a champion player and highly underrated, he did so much for us in 2008 and it was disappointing to see him leave. On the other hand, we're pretty strong in the 2nd row and could probably do with someone like Matt Scott to bolster our front row.

Wolfpack said:
At the risk of pissing off the Ballin purists I'll throw one out there, Cameron Smith (not the one who currently resides on the gold coast).

Of course he would put us way over the cap (though this thread doesn't seem to pay that any mind), but he is the best hooker in the game by a long shot. I love MB & think that he's a fantastic hooker but if Cam Smith can get Melbourne's god awful pack rolling then imagine what he could do with ours.

We would also need to buy another set of books.

Lousi - like a more atheltic version of Ali Lautiti
Tariq Sims - would suit Manly's style of play
Ryan James - see T.Sims

Fluffy said:

Totally agree Fluffy with Beaver 2008 model.

Was just wondering yesterday if Beaver Menzies 2011-12 model could cut it next year in the Manly 1st grade side if the footie gods saw fit to bring him back to Manly.

Whadderya reckon blokes and gals? Is Steve Beaver Menzies past it for NRL or still a good possibility?

eagles2win said:
Lousi - like a more atheltic version of Ali Lautiti
Tariq Sims - would suit Manly's style of play
Ryan James - see T.Sims
Glad someone else has seen Loussi - giant with ALL the skills & from Toyota cup making a cheaper purchase. Yes unproven in top grade but to those who get the chance watch the next NZ Toy Cup game - a freak. Imo we have the nucleus in own backyard who will become the players we would want to chase in future years.

Not sure why you, considering the scenario (choose one player to strengthen the team) you would go for
a. An unproven kid (loussi)
b. A green first grader (James or Sims)

Someone like a Scott / Smith who could slot straight into first grade and add value is a no brainer

Now if this was a thread about picking on potential....

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6