If walker don't come Lyon is 5/8

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Nine years ago. His body isn't up to it. And he knows it, that's why he doesn't want to play there. If we want a full year out of Killer throwing him in at five eight is not the go.
There is none fitter than Jamie when injury free . He just prefers centre to 5/8 and although he has all the skills and excels in that position he has said in the past that he is never comfortable playing 5/8.
Thurston is 9 months younger and he has been playing in the halves all his career and his body still serves him well .

Jamie Lyon has bolted out of the blocks at pre-season training to shock Manly’s incoming head of physical performance Dan Ferris by blitzing the first couple of days of testing.

Lyon, 33, struggled through 2014 with “niggly” ankle injuries but the skipper looks to have overcome them nicely for early bragging rights as the Sea Eagles’ fittest man.

“We did some testing on Monday and we did some testing (on Tuesday) and probably the standout I thought in the testing was Jamie Lyon,” Ferris told foxsports.com.au.

“He actually won the backs testing, which I thought was great for our captain and showed he was keen and ready to go.”

Lyon’s not one to draw attention to himself and he made it clear there’ll be no excuses for him to have a below par pre-season.

“I didn’t need (surgery) in the end,” Lyon told foxsports.com.au.

“I had a few niggly ankle injuries last year that were flaring up. They’re all pretty much healed up now and I’m ready to go.”

There is none fitter than Jamie when injury free . He just prefers centre to 5/8 and although he has all the skills and excels in that position he has said in the past that he is never comfortable playing 5/8.
Thurston is 9 months younger and he has been playing in the halves all his career and his body still serves him well .

Jamie Lyon has bolted out of the blocks at pre-season training to shock Manly’s incoming head of physical performance Dan Ferris by blitzing the first couple of days of testing.

Lyon, 33, struggled through 2014 with “niggly” ankle injuries but the skipper looks to have overcome them nicely for early bragging rights as the Sea Eagles’ fittest man.

“We did some testing on Monday and we did some testing (on Tuesday) and probably the standout I thought in the testing was Jamie Lyon,” Ferris told foxsports.com.au.

“He actually won the backs testing, which I thought was great for our captain and showed he was keen and ready to go.”

Lyon’s not one to draw attention to himself and he made it clear there’ll be no excuses for him to have a below par pre-season.

“I didn’t need (surgery) in the end,” Lyon told foxsports.com.au.

“I had a few niggly ankle injuries last year that were flaring up. They’re all pretty much healed up now and I’m ready to go.”

Nothing like a bit of contact to bring out the age of players, though.

Nothing like a bit of contact to bring out the age of players, though.
True feathered friend but you must agree that Lyon is a more resilient player then that 31 year old wimp playing 5/8 Jamie Soward .
Cliff Lyons was born 1961 and ended his career with us in 1999 at the age of 38 . Jamie is still a baby at 33

I hope you are not comparing Jamie to Cliffy as a five-eighth? And Cliffy only played til that age because we were in free-fall around 98-99-2000 and there was nobody left apart from Adam Hayden and Adam Brown.

I hope you are not comparing Jamie to Cliffy as a five-eighth? And Cliffy only played til that age because we were in free-fall around 98-99-2000 and there was nobody left apart from Adam Hayden and Adam Brown.
The point is at NRL level Cliffy at 38 years of age could handle it

Ok, you haven't really addressed the points I was trying to make, but no problems...
Sorry Moops, what point were you trying to make ?

Lyon has been playing in an age of 110kg wingers and full backs in a much faster game. There is no comparison to be made here.

Jamie Lyon doesn't want to play 5/8, and I doubt he will, we have a few options there if Walker doesn't sign in for 2016, so Jamie will still be a centre ( in my opinion).

Mateo has the ball skills, Hiku played 5/8 for NZ, and then there's Tim Moltzen ( who knows he may just surprise everyone).

Lyon has been playing in an age of 110kg wingers and full backs in a much faster game. There is no comparison to be made here.

So you are saying Jamie Lyon is a better five-eighth than Cliff Lyons? Ok, fair enough. I will canvass this with some league fans I know and get back to you. Stay tuned...

I'm afraid having watched Cliff's career from his initial years at Norths, that in my opinion he is one of the most under rated players in the game. His problem was he was in the game at the same time as Wally Lewis, who I consider the best I've seen in 50 years. He was also highly unpredictable on the field and players had to learn how to read him which is one reason he wasnt as successful in rep games. But Cliff was much better than Brett Kenny who they raved about. And sorry but at 5/8 he was better than Jamie, though Jamie is better at centre than Cliff ever was, and Cliff played there early in his career. Easy also to forget in his later years he played in three consecutive grandfinals 1995-97 and was still at the top of his game. He was the main reason manly won several 9 comps during his career. he mesmerized the opposition.

Cliff made Menzies and was the main reason we won in 1987. He was in some respects comparable to Mark Ella...had all the time in the world, was surprising quick off the mark even in his later years and was a fine defender. In my best ever Manly side I have Jamie in the centres with Fulton and Cliff at 5/8 alongside Toovey.

Last edited:

Sorry Moops, what point were you trying to make ?

Um, that he only played at the age of 38 through a shear desperation of the Manly club at the time. Is that clearer?

I'm afraid having watched Cliff's career from his initial years at Norths, that in my opinion he is one of the most under rated players in the game. His problem was he was in the game at the same time as Wally Lewis, who I consider the best I've seen in 50 years. But Cliff was much better than Brett Kenny who they raved about. And sorry but at 5/8 he was better than Jamie, though Jamie is better at centre than Cliff ever was, and Cliff played there early in his career.

Cliff made Menzies and was the main reason we won in 1987. He was in some respects comparable to Mark Ella...had all the time in the world, was surprising quick off the mark even in his later years and was a fine defender. In my best ever Manly side I have Jamie in the centres with Fulton and Cliff at 5/8 alongside Toovey.

Well, granted, I have asked 7 non-Manly fans who they considered to be the better five-eighth and it stands at 7-0 to Cliff Lyons. Maybe they don't know what they are talking about.

I clearly didn't ask who was the better player, I asked who was the better five-eighth...

Well, granted, I have asked 7 non-Manly fans who they considered to be the better five-eighth and it stands at 7-0 to Cliff Lyons. Maybe they don't know what they are talking about.

I clearly didn't ask who was the better player, I asked who was the better five-eighth...

And if you had read my item through you would have seen I stated Cliff was a better 5/8, Jamie a better centre. I made no mention about who was the better player

Walker will be at manly, we wouldn't be letting go Hiku if walker wasn't coming! If walker doesn't come I'll be shocked who would be our replacement?

1.Stewart
2.Tafua
3.?
4.Matai
5.Trbojevic
6.Lyon(c)
7.Cherry-Evans

Um, that he only played at the age of 38 through a shear desperation of the Manly club at the time. Is that clearer?
If his body was not up to it he could not have played wether the club was in shear desperation or not .

So you are saying Jamie Lyon is a better five-eighth than Cliff Lyons? Ok, fair enough. I will canvass this with some league fans I know and get back to you. Stay tuned...
Ummm how is just No. How's that. Lol. Let's be honest what does best mean, what's the criteria?

The way I view Jamie is he the most skillfull manly player of this Era. Right now I think Jamie probably sits side by side with Snoz Oconner.

I agree with the comments about Lewis. Wally was and still remains by far the best leader of men I've ever seen in the footy field.

Lewis was a completely different type of five eight to cliffy. Lewis was a lock who used he size well at 6.

I would argue Lewis did not weave his magic and steer a team to victory any where near as consistently as Clifford. Lewis definitely stepped up a gear when origin was on. In that arena yes. But he didn't star that same way day in day out at club footy in Brissy. And his time at the Donkeys and Seagulls was far from spectacular.

If Cliffy was a better defender he may well be in the same group as best ever. IMO cliffy is still the most amazing Magician I have seen grace a football field. God we are not worthy"".

Here is a reminder of the shear desperation of the Manly club when the 38 year old Cliffy still ruled supreme playing with the likes of Toovey Hill Kosef Gartner Hopoate Serdaris etc
Sit back and enjoy feathered friend :)

No where have i ever said one is better than another. What im saying is that for the second half of His career Jamie has played in a game that is faster and with bigger collisions across the park including massive fullbacks and wingers, alluding to the point that it would be taking a bigger toll on Jamie's body than Cliffs career took on his. Im sure other leauge fans would understand that.

Here is a reminder of the shear desperation of the Manly club when the 38 year old Cliffy still ruled supreme playing with the likes of Toovey Hill Kosef Gartner Hopoate Serdaris etc
Sit back and enjoy feathered friend :)

Ahhh the memories. Tezza v Tallis...Gartner...so bloody quick.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7