I love how Monas has become the Messiah

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
People have short memories. I know many people are giving Monaghan a rap for his form this year and some even suggested he should be the Origin half. :lol2:

There is also criticism of Orford, suggesting he is not worth the cash, offers little and maybe we should send him to Warrington and keep Monas.

My call is that people have short memories.

Two years ago Monaghan was Captain Concentric Circles and went missing and stuffed up half a season for us. He is now playing a combination of hooker, half and five-eighth. Last night he fell off a few tackles poorly, he gave a couple of Westmead specials (Hospital passes) plus a couple of poor balls that put us under pressure, including at players heads. Sure he did some good things - a try assist and some good long kicks but some are getting their maroon and white glasses frosted!

My contention is that Monas is not a genuine hooker (Ballin is and where is he?) and that he does not complement Orford's play. We need a five eighth for Orford to really shine but I don't think he is playing as badly as some suggest. I would take him over Monas anytime.

Agree Orford is better, however when comparing what they both earn he is not playing twice as well as Monas. So I can see why some people get stuck into Orford when so many got stuck into Monas for not performing upto his salary level.

Exactly Garts. If Monas wasn't playing up to his salary then Orford isn't any where near his.

orford needs a 5/8, well give him beaver, that who monas had when he stuffed up half a season but we would want to compare apples with apples, just keep making excuses.

When Monaghan played a poor game at 7, there were numerous threads about how crap he was, and it was all his fault

When Orford plays crap at 7, there are all sorts of threads to deflect the crap, and it is the people around him as much as him

Why does this happen ?

Dunley didn't come on until just after 60 mins and I was reminded what a good dummy half runner can do from that role. Monas isn't getting those metres (but I won't say anything against his toughness). Balin should be back in as he gets those metres, plays the ball quickly and gives top feeds.

On the old who is better, MM vs the Messiah, there isn't that much in it. They both did some good kicks but Orford seems to get more going directly to the fb or wingers. I thought a lot of the options he took last night were poor. On a $4$ basis I'm going to say MM is better value, but Orford is a better player.

Lyon's kicks let him down. The cry, and a good one, is for a 5/8 that can complement Ox and break tackles and provide some flair. Lyon could be that player but he hasn't got the formula right just yet. He worked his arse off last night in defense. He made tackles and sprinted back to make another and was one who showed a lot of commitment last night.

I'm still happy with Des trying these combos when we have still a 3 game break to 3rd spot and then getting it right for finals time.

I'm positive Lyon is the answer at 6. No bones about it. He will get there.

MM V Orford is hands down for me. Orford is an embarrassment really.

We should try and buy Colin Acton.

But seriously The Ox has twice as good a players to work with and he came to the club as a "half to win a premiership" , Both he and Lyons have shown nothing more than a $240k players worth. ;)

This is why so many supporters are pissed.

Monaghan has been going well.

But this is the first season since his joining manly that he has played anywhere near good enough to earn compliment.

Orford has never hit any real high. You get glipses but that is about it.

Lyon just is not working at 5/8th. We technically have Orford playing with 3 centers, making his job even harder than it should be.

I'm not giving up hope just yet for Ox. He has shown he can play football at Melbourne and that hasn't translated 100% into Maroon and White yet but I will put some of this down to Des. I don't believe he has any idea on attacking plays.

I think it was Lyon who said on FOX footy show that Des doesnt' coach set plays. He coaches a set structure and whatever happens is up to the players at the time. NOT GOING TO WORK!

And byso, get some new material. When someone speaks their mind doesn't mean you need to drag out your one liner about Mata because you don't agree.

But seriously The Ox has twice as good a players to work with and he came to the club as a \"half to win a premiership\" , Both he and Lyons have shown nothing more than a $240k players worth. ;)

This is why so many supporters are pissed.
Ii am not disagreeing with you - I just reckon that Monas isn't the answer either!!!

To me, the biggest problem is that nobody looks like they are on the same page in attack.

Defense is good (mostly) but when trying to make things happen with the ball everyone has a different idea.

Orford, ans well Matai...have been the biggest dissapointments to me this year. Orford earns more than Lockyer according to the Smellagraph, yet can't even get selected for City !!!

He looks totally unmotivated and bored.

At least Monnas LOOKS as though he's interested.

Ryan, I don't think Orford really knows what's going on out there.

Whether that is his fault or Des's lack of attacking training is the big question.

To me it looks like Orford is getting the ball, he looks around but nobody is running lines or even running at all.

So, whether it is bad communication from him or not, he passes to Lyon, lyon looks around and still nobody is running, so he switches into center mode and start to make his way around the defense.

Realising he's getting close to the sideline a little pass to ball of the left hip see's bell (not running onto the ball) stop, prop and start to shimmy back infield.

Still nothing is doing so he starts to work his way back out to the wing where a last ditch effort to save the dying tackle he gives it to robbo who runs about 2 meters from a flat foot to be tackled.

The process starts over against.

I will maintain that nobody is working in a unit. I won't blame Orford until I see that he's got blokes running decoy, angles and all at pace.

Until blokes stop standing flat footed and just waiting for the ball, how can we expect him to make that crucial play?

The only option is to go on is own at the moment but you cant do that every tackle.

The same can be said for lyon now and monaghan a few years back. I don't think either half is getting the support to put any defensive line in two minds.

Orford is second on the list of assists for tries and he has missed half our games. Not dominating all the time but still setting up scores.

I think it was Lyon who said on FOX footy show that Des doesnt' coach set plays. He coaches a set structure and whatever happens is up to the players at the time. NOT GOING TO WORK!

Well 95% of plays during a game are not set plays from scrums or taps so you have to play whats in front of you, Des is obviously trying to put a structure in place to do that. And he obviously does use some set plays from scrums or when attacking, ie the kicks for Stewart or the move from the scrum on Friday when we nearly scored.

Blah, blah blah,...

All of us, if we are fair dinkum, don't give rats about who is better. All we care about is the here and now. I want us to win now.

I say Monagahan has been the one who has looked likely to create something in attack. Why was he off for the last 20 mins?
Orford, regardeless, has been a MAJOR dissapointment. That sux, but its true. Who wouldn't swap him for Cronk?
The worlds best centre is not a5/8th. Anyone who thinks he's been a waste of money, go and give yourself an uppercut or two. Watch his defence, (something I wasn't aware of in Jamie's game), HE is a major reason why we have the best defence in the league.
Ballin in the Best No 9 in the club.
What.... Ballin 9 Orford 7 Moghan 6... Does anyone think it will happen?

Of course not.

Look, we lost this week, and there will be no changes.

If anyone disagrees with the following, please let me know:

Ballin 9
Monagahan 6
Lyon 4
Matai 14

I mean, surely,Monaghan, this year,has proved that he has some spark to ignite our stagnite backline, which has not fired....

Yes, I've seen the pass the trainer, and the passes to no-one, BUT I've seen the insightful brilliance, which Orford has failed to deliver...

Fact, it cannot be denied.

Well 95% of plays during a game are not set plays from scrums or taps so you have to play whats in front of you, Des is obviously trying to put a structure in place to do that. And he obviously does use some set plays from scrums or when attacking, ie the kicks for Stewart or the move from the scrum on Friday when we nearly scored.

The point being Garts that when all 17 players are playing what they see in front of them, but nobody is thinking the same way, your not going to get a smooth attacking play at all.

But as you said Flip Des is coaching a set structure, so they are thinking the same way, that would enable them to play whats in front of them. TBH I dont understand what your point is.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8