I have a bad/good idea for 2021

• Thread starter Deleted member 26876
  • Start date
  • We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
D

Deleted member 26876

After the Rabbits game obviously it is a bit of a typical Silvertails chaos forum so i thought i'd throw my spanner in the works. I've had a change in thought on our squad. For some time i've thought only a few little changes were needed but in the back of my head I've always been thinking about some more drastic changes (and risky ones too..) that we could pull to to quickly gear us for a premiership. Two main problems;
  1. Lack of versatility in the forwards
  2. Backline
Controversial opinions but IMO...
  • Walker really doesn't excite me, release him. Too much promise but speed is gone and that was his only strong asset in the past (other than grubbiness which has also diluted over the years).
  • AFB doesn't excite me neither (controversial, I know). I think the game has moved past AFB style players since the mid 2010's. Ironically he's our best individual prop, I agree. However, he makes our forward-pack dynamic so poor (same w/ Jake in his current state). Too much size, not enough versatility and energy/fitness, too much reliance on AFB/Taupau for too long.
  • Therefore, while risky and potentially stupid (I agree) I'd release Taupau or AFB, or both and bring in some signings to make our pack refreshed and versatile (especially now Thompson is gone)
  • Finally, most cliche of all - I know... - ponder releasing DCE. (or offer ultimatum to reduce contract)
Before attacking me have a look at this squad below and think about the team as a whole. Then attack me because this may be an overreaction to the game, but some thoughts have been in back of my head for a while.

I EDITED THIS SIDE, here it is after re-thinking it

1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Albert Hopoate
3. Katoni Staggs *
4. Moses Suli (last chance, absolute beast but invisible)
5. Tevita Funa
6. Joshua Schuster/Cust
7. Keiran Foran (300K, Cust as backup waiting in the wings) *
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Sam Verrills
10. Jake Trbojevic
11. Haumole Olakautau
12. Curtis Sironen or signing w/ Siro to bench
13. Christian Welch
INTERCHANGE
14. Cade Cust/Schuster
15. Sean Keppie
16. Taniela Paseka (really encouraging lately, developing footwork and drive)
17. Zac Saddler (grubby youth needed)
Reserves: 2 or so new signings + Parker, Sipley, Boyle, Gosie etc.

INS: ~ $2.1million [Foran, Katoni Staggs, Christian Welch, Sam Verrills + ~500K-1M leftover]
OUTS: ~ $3million [DCE, Walker, Waddell, Croker, Thompson, Taufua, Taupau (imo past it/stale, 700-750K)]

Re: Foran
Only 300K, has played 11/14 this year and Schuster/Cust can form a halves pairing if he ever gets injured to give us glimpse of the future, IMO worth it for mentoring alone, let alone his ability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting rid of AFB is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard, you gotta be joking. Why would we get rid of one of the best forwards in the league, even when Manly play garbage he is always one of the best on the team. & losses aren’t put down to him, it’s the backs that let us down clearly.

After the Rabbits game obviously it is a bit of a typical Silvertails chaos forum so i thought i'd throw my spanner in the works. I've had a change in thought on our squad. For some time i've thought only a few little changes were needed but in the back of my head I've always been thinking about some more drastic changes (and risky ones too..) that we could pull to to quickly gear us for a premiership. Two main problems;
  2. Backline
  • Walker really doesn't excite me, release him. Too much promise but speed is gone and that was his only strong asset in the past (other than grubbiness which has also diluted over the years).
  • AFB doesn't excite me neither (controversial, I know). I think the game has moved past AFB style players since the mid 2010's. Ironically he's our best individual prop, I agree. However, he makes our forward-pack dynamic so poor (same w/ Jake in his current state). Too much size, not enough versatility and energy/fitness, too much reliance on AFB/Taupau for too long.
  • Therefore, while risky and potentially stupid (I agree) I'd release Taupau or AFB, or both and bring in some signings to make our pack refreshed and versatile (especially now Thompson is gone)
  • Finally, most cliche of all - I know... - ponder releasing DCE. (or offer ultimatum to reduce contract)
Before attacking me have a look at this squad below and think about the team as a whole. Then attack me because this may be an overreaction to the game, but some thoughts have been in back of my head for a while.

Like AFB, DCE as a player obviously isn't bad, he is often one of the more passionate players. Simply, he's on way too much coin (i'd offer him an ultimatum to either drop his contract for the team or walk). He isn't leading by example with his contract and more of a 5/8 than a 7. Also, the back-row as it is is completely stale.

1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Albert Hopoate
3. Katoni Staggs *** Signing
5. Tevita Funa
6. Joshua Schuster
7. Keiran Foran (300K, Cust as backup waiting in the wings) *** Signing
8. Jake Trbojevic
9. Sam Verrills/Cade Cust *** Signing?
10. Christian Welch *** Signing
11. Haumole Olakautau
12. Brad Parker? (Steve Menzies 2.0, awesome one-on-one defender)
13. Kevin Proctor *** Signing (many other options outside Proctor)
INTERCHANGE
14. Cade Cust (if we sign someone like Verrills)/
15. Taniela Paseka (much improved of late, really encouraging)
16. Curtis Sironen

RESERVES
Brad Parker, Ben Trbojevic, Brendon Elliott, Reuben Garrick + *** NEW signing
Then Toafofoa Sipley, Morgan Boyle, Jack Gosiewski + *** NEW signing

INS = Katoni Staggs, Sam Verrills, Christian Welch (perfect NRL prop), Keiran Foran (300K!), Kevin Proctor + 2 depth signings
OUTS = AFB, Taupau, DCE, Walker, Waddell, Taufua

Thoughts? Crazy, I know.
I agree with several of your suggestions, such as getting rid of Walker and I'd also consider releasing Kapow.
I don't know how you would go about releasing DCE; why would he want to leave on such a good salary?

if were gonna go all out crazy talk/ thoughts here.. then it has to be said. I would shop jakey well before even considering AFB.. possibly even taupau. I think if the game has passed any of our forwards its jakey. Too many set restarts, very slow, no post contact metres. Isnt really dynamic whatsoever.. only thing he offers at the moment that isn't stifling is his defense.. not to mention he is on 900k a year.. alot more than AFB is. Would two quality players at 900k be of more value than jurbo himself? Probably. Another thing.. hate to say it but i think it's only gonna get worse as he ages.. but In reality will never happen.. dce and the turbis are here to stay.

One thing you are correct with in my opinion Harry is one senior forward needs to go for a balanced squad.

Marty was the first one come to mind for me.

Time for Jake to hit the front row again and maybe with the emergence of Tent, there is room for another one to go. I think Sipley may get released.

To many young forwards in the club that need a path into the team, in time of cause.

2. Backline

Like AFB, DCE as a player obviously isn't bad, he is often one of the more passionate players. Simply, he's on way too much coin (i'd offer him an ultimatum to either drop his contract for the team or walk). He isn't leading by example with his contract and more of a 5/8 than a 7. Also, the back-row as it is is completely stale.

1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Albert Hopoate
3. Katoni Staggs *** Signing
5. Tevita Funa
6. Joshua Schuster
7. Keiran Foran (300K, Cust as backup waiting in the wings) *** Signing
8. Jake Trbojevic
9. Sam Verrills/Cade Cust *** Signing?
10. Christian Welch *** Signing
11. Haumole Olakautau
12. Brad Parker? (Steve Menzies 2.0, awesome one-on-one defender)
13. Kevin Proctor *** Signing (many other options outside Proctor)
INTERCHANGE
14. Cade Cust (if we sign someone like Verrills)/
15. Taniela Paseka (much improved of late, really encouraging)
16. Curtis Sironen

RESERVES
Brad Parker, Ben Trbojevic, Brendon Elliott, Reuben Garrick + *** NEW signing
Then Toafofoa Sipley, Morgan Boyle, Jack Gosiewski + *** NEW signing

INS = Katoni Staggs, Sam Verrills, Christian Welch (perfect NRL prop), Keiran Foran (300K!), Kevin Proctor + 2 depth signings
OUTS = AFB, Taupau, DCE, Walker, Waddell, Taufua

Thoughts? Crazy, I know.
I have to say Harry, the first thing that came to mind after reading your post was how well it’s set out. Bullet points, highlighted bits, underlines. You don’t see that sort of quality too much on here. So well done there.
There’s a cpl things I can’t fathom.
1. Parker to second row. Mate if this bloke isn’t medically retired by this time next year from all the knockouts he’s copped, I’ll eat my hat.
2. AFB. He’s more athletic than he looks. Gets through the line frequently, and has great post-contact metres.
3. Can’t do Foran. Too injury prone.

Things I liked:
1. Fan of Katoni Staggs. So a big yes.
2. Getting Shuster/Funa/Guacamole/Hoppa in.(but he’s probably going to bugger off to the Dogs).

Gutsy post Harry. Well done.

One thing you are correct with in my opinion Harry is one senior forward needs to go for a balanced squad.

Marty was the first one come to mind for me.

Time for Jake to hit the front row again and maybe with the emergence of Tent, there is room for another one to go. I think Sipley may get released.

To many young forwards in the club that need a path into the team, in time of cause.
I agree, Marty was first that came to my mind

Some seriously crazy ideas there, the drugs or alcohol must be working wonders
Maybe i'm the new mad scientist. Or maybe just the former.

I edited the squad again, much happier with it now

Last edited by a moderator:
Forward versatility is a problem, contributing to the lack of line speed in defence. I'd shop Marty first though as his tendancy to offload poorly and make mistakes in crucial moments can be a liability. I really like what the guy brings off the field though so maybe we could just change our rotations.

2. Backline

1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Albert Hopoate
3. Katoni Staggs *
5. Tevita Funa
6. Joshua Schuster/Cust
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Sam Verrills
10. Jake Trbojevic
11. Haumole Olakautau
13. Christian Welch
INTERCHANGE
14. Cade Cust/Schuster
15. Sean Keppie

INS: ~ $2.1million [Foran, Katoni Staggs, Christian Welch, Sam Verrills + ~500K-1M leftover]
OUTS: ~ $3million [DCE, Walker, Waddell, Croker, Thompson, Taufua, Taupau (imo past it/stale, 700-750K)]

Only 300K, has played 11/14 this year and Schuster/Cust can form a halves pairing if he ever gets injured to give us glimpse of the future, IMO worth it for mentoring alone, let alone his ability.
Please direct me to your drug dealer. Cheers

Its one thing to release all these players and another to get good replacements. Its easy to make a list out of the players you choose we might get 1
Spot on Biff, at the moment what would attract a player to our club.

We would struggle to bring any potential top line player to the club, some action is in desperate need to swing us around to where we belong.

DCE, Turbos and Marty are on way too much money to even consider giving an early release, unless the other team takes their full contract. They are all still very capable first graders and it’s got to do more with the way they are been used then their ability.

DCE has no ownership on the main thing he should which is last tackle options. Jake is getting too predictable going to the line with that shape. Both these players are very capable of changing that. Marty is playing great footy and unfortunately Tom has had his injury woes. Walker has a friendlier contract to look at releasing but the guy is an out and out centre and I’d love to see him play there.

1. Tom Trbojevic 1.1m
2. Jorge Tafua Albert Hopoate 200k
3. Dylan Walker 350k
4. Kotoni Staggs * 450k
5. Rueben Garrick Tevita Funa 150k
6. Kieran Foran * 350k
7. Daly Cherry Evans 1.3m
8. Jake Trbojevic 900k
9. Dany Levi Brendon Smith * 500k
10. Marty Tapau 700k
11. Curtis Sironen 300k
12. Haumole Olakauatu 200k
13. Joel Thompson Bayley Sironen * 250k

14. Cade Cust 200k
15. Addin Fonua Blake 600k
16. Taniela Paseka 250k
17. Josh Schuster 150k

18. Sean Keppie 110k
19. Tof Sipley 110k
20. Morgan Boyle Matt Eisenhuth* 110k
21. Corey Waddell 110k
22. Tony Williams Ray Stone * 110k
23. Jack Gosiewski Nicho Hynes * 110k
24. Moses Suli 500k
25. Brad Parker 110k
26. Morgan Harper 110k
27. Brayden Musgrove Charlie Stains * 110k
27. Luke Metcalf 110k
28. Brendan Elliot Tyrone May * 110k
29. Manase Fainu 110k
30. Lachlan Croker 110k

Wouldn’t mind seeing this squad next year I think it is definitely capable of winning the gf. Our top 17 is capable of top 4 if they stay fit we need to make better depth signings.

2. Backline

1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Albert Hopoate
3. Katoni Staggs *
5. Tevita Funa
6. Joshua Schuster/Cust
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Sam Verrills
10. Jake Trbojevic
11. Haumole Olakautau
13. Christian Welch
INTERCHANGE
14. Cade Cust/Schuster
15. Sean Keppie

You make some good points Harry ... but I would keep AFB .... and release Kapow

2. Backline

1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Albert Hopoate
3. Katoni Staggs *
5. Tevita Funa
6. Joshua Schuster/Cust
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Sam Verrills
10. Jake Trbojevic
11. Haumole Olakautau
13. Christian Welch
INTERCHANGE
14. Cade Cust/Schuster
15. Sean Keppie

AFB plays massive minutes, massive engine. You can't question his fitness. The guy is best prop in the game in my opinion. Would be the last person I'd let go

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6