I have a bad/good idea for 2021

• Thread starter Deleted member 26876
  • Start date
  • We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Staggs price probly went up to around 700 K this week. No way we get him. Dce Jake and Tom are just on ridiculous money. Can't buy anymore top liners. Have to rely on speedy youngsters with a passion to make it.

I agree with several of your suggestions, such as getting rid of Walker and I'd also consider releasing Kapow.
I don't know how you would go about releasing DCE; why would he want to leave on such a good salary?
[/QUOTE
You make some good points Harry ... but I would keep AFB .... and release Kapow
I have a better idea send half the team to Barret to finish their apprenticeship

Tom at the back, Dylan and Cherry in the centres with Garrick and Funa on the wings. Cust at half and Shoey/Metcalf at 5/8. Jake into the second row in attack switching closer to the centre in defence. Suli onto the bench to be used as a strike weapon when the opposition flags.. Jorge gone with our gratitude for all the hard work over the years. Parker first reserve for backline outages.

AFB plays massive minutes, massive engine. You can't question his fitness. The guy is best prop in the game in my opinion. Would be the last person I'd let go
Good points, on seconds thought I probably wouldnt be willing to release him.

However, the whole idea of releasing him wasn't inherently a critque of him as a player but rather the dynamic of the forwards. He is without a doubt our best forward, i just think size makes us vulnerable and that size in forward packs is a little overrated in todays game eg. Penrith, Chooks. Storm have an example of a strong pack that is successful with their power game but as we saw with their 14-0 loss to the eels with no quality spine to carry the team a forward pack can't really do all that much toward the result.

The key is in the spine and the backs, we lack balance in a squad that is too forward-orientated IMO. Our backs hardly do anything and sometimes neither do our second-rowers. It's all on the props and Jake every week and i just dont think that is sustainable for our team.

Good points, on seconds thought I probably wouldnt be willing to release him.

However, the whole idea of releasing him wasn't inherently a critque of him as a player but rather the dynamic of the forwards. He is without a doubt our best forward, i just think size makes us vulnerable and that size in forward packs is a little overrated in todays game eg. Penrith, Chooks. Storm have an example of a strong pack that is successful with their power game but as we saw with their 14-0 loss to the eels with no quality spine to carry the team a forward pack can't really do all that much toward the result.

The key is in the spine and the backs, we lack balance in a squad that is too forward-orientated IMO. Our backs hardly do anything and sometimes neither do our second-rowers. It's all on the props and Jake every week and i just dont think that is sustainable for our team.
That's why a good half is needed to control play.. to get the balance right. When to call for the ball and distribute out wide when seen fit. Also why jake needs to get out of the way on fourth tackles..

That's why a good half is needed to control play.. to get the balance right. When to call for the ball and distribute out wide when seen fit. Also why jake needs to get out of the way on fourth tackles..
If we have enough money im all for it, especially if we can shift Jake to prop and completely change our attack.

Nice effort but I think the problems come simply down to wingers and hooker spots. We have the forwards and halves to do big things next year.

With the new rules it’s all about fast dummy half service and kicking to the wings.

I can live with Suli and Parker who will play well if the team is going well next year.

But I want to see the back of Walker to hellp pay for it.

NYEagle

After the Rabbits game obviously it is a bit of a typical Silvertails chaos forum so i thought i'd throw my spanner in the works. I've had a change in thought on our squad. For some time i've thought only a few little changes were needed but in the back of my head I've always been thinking about some more drastic changes (and risky ones too..) that we could pull to to quickly gear us for a premiership. Two main problems;
  1. Lack of versatility in the forwards
  2. Backline
Controversial opinions but IMO...
  • Walker really doesn't excite me, release him. Too much promise but speed is gone and that was his only strong asset in the past (other than grubbiness which has also diluted over the years).
  • AFB doesn't excite me neither (controversial, I know). I think the game has moved past AFB style players since the mid 2010's. Ironically he's our best individual prop, I agree. However, he makes our forward-pack dynamic so poor (same w/ Jake in his current state). Too much size, not enough versatility and energy/fitness, too much reliance on AFB/Taupau for too long.
  • Therefore, while risky and potentially stupid (I agree) I'd release Taupau or AFB, or both and bring in some signings to make our pack refreshed and versatile (especially now Thompson is gone)
  • Finally, most cliche of all - I know... - ponder releasing DCE. (or offer ultimatum to reduce contract)
Before attacking me have a look at this squad below and think about the team as a whole. Then attack me because this may be an overreaction to the game, but some thoughts have been in back of my head for a while.

I EDITED THIS SIDE, here it is after re-thinking it

1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Albert Hopoate
3. Katoni Staggs *
4. Moses Suli (last chance, absolute beast but invisible)
5. Tevita Funa
6. Joshua Schuster/Cust
7. Keiran Foran (300K, Cust as backup waiting in the wings) *
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Sam Verrills
10. Jake Trbojevic
11. Haumole Olakautau
12. Curtis Sironen or signing w/ Siro to bench
13. Christian Welch
INTERCHANGE
14. Cade Cust/Schuster
15. Sean Keppie
16. Taniela Paseka (really encouraging lately, developing footwork and drive)
17. Zac Saddler (grubby youth needed)
Reserves: 2 or so new signings + Parker, Sipley, Boyle, Gosie etc.

INS: ~ $2.1million [Foran, Katoni Staggs, Christian Welch, Sam Verrills + ~500K-1M leftover]
OUTS: ~ $3million [DCE, Walker, Waddell, Croker, Thompson, Taufua, Taupau (imo past it/stale, 700-750K)]

Re: Foran
Only 300K, has played 11/14 this year and Schuster/Cust can form a halves pairing if he ever gets injured to give us glimpse of the future, IMO worth it for mentoring alone, let alone his ability.
So get rid of the best prop in the game as voted by his peers in AFB, get rid of Taupau who along with AFB have been voted best prop pairing in the NRL, bring in an injury prone 5/8 in Foran, keep Gosiewski & an out of form Jake T...wow real good recruitment!

So get rid of the best prop in the game as voted by his peers in AFB, get rid of Taupau who along with AFB have been voted best prop pairing in the NRL, bring in an injury prone 5/8 in Foran, keep Gosiewski & an out of form Jake T...wow real good recruitment!
I just listed gosie cause he came to my head, I dont care if we keep him or not as backup. It looks bad to release both AFB and Marty. Teams used to fear Taupau but now he just is very workman-like imo (although I really respect him), not enough for 750K.

AFB obviously the more controversial one but as I said earlier if I were to get rid of him it wouldnt be a reflection on him as a player but rather on the dynamic of the forwards. If we are to achieve a versatile side like penrith/chooks we need to cut down some size and reliance on our props.

We've been scared to say it but dce is living off his earlier reputation (needs a genuine half next to him) and when he performs it usually is an indvidual performance rather than inspiring a team performance (eg last week vs knights). Foran is managing to be one of the game's dominant halves in the pissweak bullldogs team whereas dce struggled for consistency and direction even before turbo was injured. Not 1.3Million for mine.

Spine of
Turbo, Cust, dce and Levi
vs
Turbo, Cust/Schuster, Foran and Verrills
IMO the latter wins

Forwards of
AFB, Taupau, Siro, Thompson, Jurbo (lock)
vs
Jurbo (prop), Paseka, Olakautau, Siro, Christian Welch (lock)

IMO the latter at least mitigates the former, perhaps beats them with greater all-round input. Our current back row is non-existent

Then, the big benefit of releasing Walker, dce and taupau
Trbo, Taufua, Parker, Suli, Garrick
Vs
Trbo, Funa, Staggs, Suli, Hoppa

If you looked to the end and not the means I think it isn't the craziest idea, unrealistic to get who we'd want though.

I just listed gosie cause he came to my head, I dont care if we keep him or not as backup. It looks bad to release both AFB and Marty. Teams used to fear Taupau but now he just is very workman-like imo (although I really respect him), not enough for 750K.

AFB obviously the more controversial one but as I said earlier if I were to get rid of him it wouldnt be a reflection on him as a player but rather on the dynamic of the forwards. If we are to achieve a versatile side like penrith/chooks we need to cut down some size and reliance on our props.

We've been scared to say it but dce is living off his earlier reputation (needs a genuine half next to him) and when he performs it usually is an indvidual performance rather than inspiring a team performance (eg last week vs knights). Foran is managing to be one of the game's dominant halves in the pissweak bullldogs team whereas dce struggled for consistency and direction even before turbo was injured. Not 1.3Million for mine.

Spine of
Turbo, Cust, dce and Levi
vs
Turbo, Cust/Schuster, Foran and Verrills
IMO the latter wins

Forwards of
AFB, Taupau, Siro, Thompson, Jurbo (lock)
vs
Jurbo (prop), Paseka, Olakautau, Siro, Christian Welch (lock)

IMO the latter at least mitigates the former, perhaps beats them with greater all-round input. Our current back row is non-existent

Then, the big benefit of releasing Walker, dce and taupau
Trbo, Taufua, Parker, Suli, Garrick
Vs
Trbo, Funa, Staggs, Suli, Hoppa

If you looked to the end and not the means I think it isn't the craziest idea, unrealistic to get who we'd want though.
You seem to be pretty keen on welch.. i don't think he is that great. I think outside the storm system he will struggle.. glasby 2.0

Getting rid of AFB is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard, you gotta be joking. Why would we get rid of one of the best forwards in the league, even when Manly play garbage he is always one of the best on the team. & losses aren’t put down to him, it’s the backs that let us down clearly.
Also this notion of the game speeding up now so big props are redundant. Plenty of tge top teams Still have big front rowers.

Maybe i'm the new mad scientist. Or maybe just the former.

I edited the squad again, much happier with it now

No disrespect but if your a scie

While at times I understand marty being talked about as going due to his salary. Through these lean times he looks to add some leadership to a team that lacks it.

Whatever happened to the rumour that DCE and marty didnt get along. Was that bollocks or have they just agreed to get along

No disrespect but if your a scie

While at times I understand marty being talked about as going due to his salary. Through these lean times he looks to add some leadership to a team that lacks it.

Whatever happened to the rumour that DCE and marty didnt get along. Was that bollocks or have they just agreed to get along
Never heard that rumour?

It was in the barrett days, marty was linked everywhere as a result
I do recall Marty wasn’t happy & wanted out because of Barrett but re-signed as soon as Des came back......no clue about him & DCE??? Have seen both hugging after tries scored & end of games!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8