Hypothetical

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

We were the best team by a mile and got royally screwed in that match.

An offside try to start, a 7th tackle try in the middle followed by a forward pass try to finish. 3 very bodgy tries.

Plus the dogs were going to superleague and terry lamb is a thug.

More than enough reason to hate that result. Mind you, the others hurt too!

bones said:
TWO DOGS said:
I can't think of the name of the Canterbury centre who was allowed to be offside the whole match and stifled any chance our backs had

Timu?

No. I think it was Farrah. Does that sound right?

The Prince of Brookvale said:
The 95 one, purely for the fact that the Dogs cheated again that year. Scum.

Welcome to the forum Snake. Does tooves know you have an account.
Watch out for dazza he doesn't rate you too highly champ :) :p

bones said:
If you had the power to reverse the result of any one game in Rugby League history, which game would you choose?
The 2007 GF giving us B2B ?
The 95 GF giving us B2B ?
The 97 GF giving us B2B ?
The 82 GF to split up Parra's hat-trick ?
An earlier GF?
Maybe not a GF. Maybe a GF qualifier (2012) to give us another GF appearance.

I think I'd choose the 2007 GF just because its the most recent GF loss and a B2B would be awesome.

I reckon Darren will choose the 2008 or 2011 Grand Final.

95 vs Dogs. That one really hurts, even now. Not just on the back of such a dominant year, but the manner in which Ward seemed to favour the Dogs at crucial times, let alone dodgy tries.

97 I can accept for the betterment of the game; 07 we can still appreciate after coming back from near extinction; early-80s didn't feel so bad after a dominant 70s.

Definitely 95.

CAMBO said:
Welcome to the forum Snake. Does tooves know you have an account.
Watch out for dazza he doesn't rate you too highly champ :) :p

Well I rate myself highly - still the best defensive fullback in the game. I still think I read the game better than any other fullback & is the best NSW fullback by a country mile.

Sorry if I am talking myself up too much :D

1997 - I watched it in Newcastle in a house full of drunk blokes where I was the only Manly supporter, and I copped a fearful sledging.

They still drop an "Albert will score ! " into the conversation occasionally to this day.

Plus being a Newcastle local it was kind of hard to avoid re-living it over and over again - no place to hide.

Masked Eagle said:
95 or 97 I think. Mainly because that team was dominate for 3 years and deserved more than one premiership.

This sums it up perfectly for me. I'd chose 97 over 95 by a nose. Bloody drugged up .........................

My recollection of 95, (because I've only seen it the once), is that we were screwed by Eddie Ward, but we also played very poorly. From memory Nik Kosef seemed to be the only guy who didn't have an element of stage fright. My feelings on 97 have changed over time, I was so pro-NRL that I initially consoled myself with the result being better for the NRL than the Super League final was, but it didn't take long for those feelings to subside and the circumstances of that game taking my hatred of Newcastle to another level. That being said, I've never liked the Dogs and if given the choice would probably choose 95.

Geez Bones. Talk about Sophie's choice.

I'd have to go with 95 because that side was so dominant and it's only the Manly fans that remember. Mind you, we were as good in 97.

The same argument can be made for 82 and 83. 82 stung as I was in Year 12 at a high school full of Slime supporters and I got up at 4 to be there.

I suspected we might fall short on 07 so wasn't as crushed as I was in past years. Although it hurts now after the cheating Scum were exposed.

But in a photo, 95.

I'd have to go 1997, just ahead of 1995.

We had the 1997 game won and, as others have said, that mid-90s team deserved more than 1 comp.

1995 was our first year of mid-90s dominance and the pain of the loss was somewhat subdued by the joy of actually making the GF for the first time in a long time.

Good question!

95 I reckon as that was such a b/s game of crap decisions.

Why not 07? Well I think that should be awarded to us anyway because of the storm rorting the salary cap.

Why not 97? Well they were drugged up cheats and we should be awarded that anyway.

If it,s hypothetical-Give us them all
Drug cheats
Ref cheats
Salary cap cheats
While we are at it-rub out that Penrith loss and any other loss that the Bugs Bunny rabbitts have ever inflicted
Should never have let them back in the comp
Thats all folks
Go manly

I am surprised we don't have more of 95. Mainly because of our opposition. We were the best team that year by a country mile, even better than the 96 team. On top of that it's that scum sh*t of a club that won through the help of the ref.

1983 for me. We were the best team by a mile that year.Won the minor premiership,won the midweek KB cup, smashed Parra 20-0 in the major semi and with the sting of 1982 we were going to win. Got up at 3am to queue up at the Bradman stand gates where there was a near riot and the gates were set onfire. Fire brigade and cops everywhere then to sit there all day and endure that loss was gut wrenching.

Great post. For me 1995. Everybody above have given the reasons. Still haven't got over it and I am an old man.

Might have meant the Eels never won another comp....which would have been delightful (also we are criminally understimated in the 80's...it is all about the dogs and eels)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6