How long do you give Tooves

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Two weeks in a row now when he's about to go 'live on air', these 'breaking news' stories hit the media and he is left looking like a fool for not knowing whats going on (to his credit he has held up well on air)... not co-incidence sadly.

the times they are a changin'... I think a very sad day is closer than we think.
Hey can you be so unlucky to have breaking news break on you on live air.

Who ever has it in for Toovey is behind the timing of these 'leaks'.

Make no mistake Bozo was close 2 being punted but he stood aside and let the great Sharp take over. It's a fallacy that we don't punt greats of the club. Alan Thompson was given 22 games 9 wins 1 draw and 12 loses and sacked. I still can't believe he was treated so poorly

Bozo's wife was battling cancer at the time and he left because of the pressures associated with trying to manager the two matters together. His job was solid but he also had to contend with less money to target players, after the club coffers were drained by SL. Check out the changes from his 1997 squad to the 1999 one.

Be lucky to last a week if we get pumped again this weeked.

100% gone by Origin 1

Interesting to see Hasler come out yesterday and say Toovey is the best bloke for the job at Manly.
The question I have is who the hell would you replace him with? Don't see any great coaches available at present. Particularly ones with Manly in their blood.

Me? I give tooves as long as he wants.

Others - maybe not so much.

Me? My influence is quite limited.

Others - maybe not so much.

I reckon we all know Toovey is zero chance of getting another contract and long odds of even seeing this one out. The writing is on the wall. We can like it not but its going to be the reality and I reckon he realises that now too. At the first sustained sign of weakness he will be chopped. Be that later this year or early 2016 or whenever.

He has done a decent job ( and I agree he had been treated pretty appallingly of late ) - and its a real shame. BUT gotta say with the side we had the last 3 years you would expect us to be competitive - and we were to his credit. Its a whole different kettle of fish managing a great side to success ( which Toovey has done well ) - than it is rebuilding an average to weak side from the ground up ( as will be the case in 2016 ), and as Des did in the early 200'0s ( as hard as that is to accept I know ).

But I personally think we need a new coach to rebuild- but yes its extremely unfair on Toovey I agree - however its not about fair its about what's best going forward. The club is bigger than the individual.

Disagree with that yes we had and still continue 2 have internal problems. But most coaches would kill 2 have the roster he started with as a first grade coach.
Most coaches would not have known the underhanded dealings that lied ahead - just like Toovey - a trusting loyal bloke who put the Manly team before himself.
Done ok with this roster also, making a GF 1 year then finishing equal first on the ladder to follow up so yet to see what he has done wrong result wise.

everyone is saying Tooves is gone, who takes his place..? if brown comes anywhere near manly Ill be supporting another team, maybe canberra.lol

Most coaches would not have known the underhanded dealings that lied ahead - just like Toovey - a trusting loyal bloke who put the Manly team before himself.
Done ok with this roster also, making a GF 1 year then finishing equal first on the ladder to follow up so yet to see what he has done wrong result wise.

Please get the violin out Tooves is a big boy who took on a big job with a GREAT roster. He is a champion of the club and the club should be honest with him. But please spare me the crocodile tears.

powers that be will want it sooner rather than later. They are never going to attract decent players to the club when a coach has speculation on their future. So whoever their 'man in waiting' is, pretty much as soon as they can get him ready to roll, is when it'll happen in a quick swoop. To counter the obvious fan and media backlash, they'll want to have some key signings in the bag to announce and deflect the attention towards or it'll be even messier.

Please get the violin out Tooves is a big boy who took on a big job with a GREAT roster. He is a champion of the club and the club should be honest with him. But please spare me the crocodile tears.

Tears of joy maybe - Toovey has done a great job in tough conditions - is that actually offensive or sad?
Those who think he has performed poorly should show some spuds & call it.

Tears of joy maybe - Toovey has done a great job in tough conditions - is that actually offensive or sad?
Those who think he has performed poorly should show some spuds & call it.

I don't own the club so it isn't my call but if you want 2 know I think he has done a great job. But I don't hire or fire and it is as obvious as Watmough Dce and Foz were leaving that people in power at the club want 2 go in a different direction. Toovey is not owed the job BUT what he is owed is the truth from the club because at the moment a champion of the club is being hang out 2 dry.

Don't forget management have a plan B!!

Now if we just knew what Plan A was we would have an insight into the back up options.

I just want to say two things re 2V

1) I wouldn't blame him one bit if he walks this coming week, after being hung out to dry on TV two weeks in a row why would you bother !!

2) If the club sacks him, then it's truly one of the saddest days in our clubs history. And this is the likely scenario as sadly it would seem he had " lost the dressing room ".

In my opinion he won't last much more than round 4 or 5.

Unless we start winning, and I find that hard to see happening as we are a total rabble at present.

Yeah well its on cards, toovs is my fav player of all time. BUT yeah seems like he does not quite have it as a coach in terms of regard.
The obvious choices are Nathan brown, trent barrett maybe even meninga or daley ( i think daley is not up to it).

Winnya how can you honestly say that. He has a record of 2 prelim finals and a GF in his first 3 years. How can people seriously suggest his inability to coach. If he was rubbish we would have gone badly the last 3 years its as simple as that. He may have got through the first year with success but he wouldnt have achieved a Grand Final berth in his second year. **** gets shown up really fast.

For anyone to suggest Nathan Brown, Meninga, Daley or Barrett needs their head examined.

Nathan Brown coached arguably one of the greatest St George teams in the modern era and got zilch. He coached in Super League to the same effect until he came into the St Helens club and won a title they had been in around 10 super league finals in the last 15 years and were due. Unlike Maguire who took over Wigan when they were barely back in super league and a shell of their former selves. Brown is a joke and has shown this over his career.

Laurie Daley was brown's assistant at Dragons when they were rubbish with a superstar team. He hasn't engineered the NSW win the players were sick of being beaten.

Mal Meninga was another dismal failure as a club coach and has every other person coaching QLD including Cameron Smith and Lockyer.

Trent Barrett????? Not even tested and quite frankly is a grade a dope. I cant believe people would even consider him.

Manly have a coach already that has support of his credible mature grown up players (Lyon, Ballin) and has guided us through 3 years and achieved fantastic results under pressure with media trying to cut him down at every turn. The only person i would accept as a replacement for Toovey is Des, other than that there is no-one else with Manly in the blood full stop.

I have heard from a source that Toovey is a great tactical coach but not the greatest man manager, well I would be happier with a dyed in the wool Manly tactician than any other muppet from another club.

If the management get rid of Tooves without having the signature of Des already as a replacement they are dumber than i thought. But it wouldn't suprise me after what i have seen so far.

When Jamie Lyon and Matt Ballin tell me Tooves isn't right I might listen until then it is white noise.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6