How I’ll whip NRL into shape: Peter Beattie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Captain Moondog

Absolute Superstar
Great news, Peter Beattie says he won't be here for long. Now if we could only get a similar commitment from Greenberg........
PETER Beattie has set a clear path for rugby league after overseeing his first full season in charge of the ARL Commission.

From expansion to revamping punishments for salary cap cheats and poor player behaviour, Beattie sat down with Michael Carayannis in Port Moresby to discuss the game’s direction ahead of a two-day submit of commissioners on October 30 and 31.

After replacing John Grant in February, Beattie has made himself a promise.

“John Grant was there for six years,” Beattie said. “I won’t be. I want to be there for a much shorter time but to actually make a difference.

“Longevity doesn’t mean anything. It’s what you do while you’re there.”
Expand or die” was one of Beattie’s first phrases when he became chairman.

He had a desire to bring more teams into the NRL but that has proven to be more problematic than anticipated.

Now he is changing course when it comes to how expansion would work.

“It’s a lot harder than I first thought,” Beattie said."

Simpler for the NRL to pay the players directly.

Each contract needs to be registered by the NRL anyway, then they transfer 9 million to a Club just to have a Club CFO sign a player's quarterly cheque :confused:

Simpler for the NRL to pay the players directly.

Each contract needs to be registered by the NRL anyway, then they transfer 9 million to a Club just to have a Club CFO sign a player's quarterly cheque :confused:

Yes said the same thing in another thread.
Also all third party deals need to be made public. We don't need to make public their wage under the salary cap.

Tax office audits.

True.... but if a player is getting more than he should be ...but declares it to the tax office, isn't that all the ato is worried about?

The ato don't go back to the nrl and say "Hey, every roosters player claimed 30k over what you said you paid them!" Do they?

PB: Expand or die, I'll stake my reputation on achieving this!

NRL: We can't expand.

PB: Oh, er, ah, um.... Expand our wages?

NRL: Cool, happy with that.

I wonder if the real attendance and TV numbers actually support expansion? And does anyone anywhere actually consider league a growth sport/form of entertainment? Do we even have enough high level players to support more teams..? Contraction probably makes a lot more sense...

This statement shows to me that the bloke is just a politician. When you are not in power you can promise the world, get on the side of every popular argument and position yourself as being a reformer.
But when you get into power you quickly realise that things are a lot more complex than they seem and that making decisions means reducing your popularity.
Beattie won't achieve anything worthwhile, except enhance his bank balance.

Great news, Peter Beattie says he won't be here for long. Now if we could only get a similar commitment from Greenberg........
PETER Beattie has set a clear path for rugby league after overseeing his first full season in charge of the ARL Commission.

From expansion to revamping punishments for salary cap cheats and poor player behaviour, Beattie sat down with Michael Carayannis in Port Moresby to discuss the game’s direction ahead of a two-day submit of commissioners on October 30 and 31.

After replacing John Grant in February, Beattie has made himself a promise.

“John Grant was there for six years,” Beattie said. “I won’t be. I want to be there for a much shorter time but to actually make a difference.

“Longevity doesn’t mean anything. It’s what you do while you’re there.”
Expand or die” was one of Beattie’s first phrases when he became chairman.

He had a desire to bring more teams into the NRL but that has proven to be more problematic than anticipated.

Now he is changing course when it comes to how expansion would work.

trust me the man is a clown.

This statement shows to me that the bloke is just a politician. When you are not in power you can promise the world, get on the side of every popular argument and position yourself as being a reformer.
But when you get into power you quickly realise that things are a lot more complex than they seem and that making decisions means reducing your popularity.
One wink if you agree:

giphy.gif

I wonder if the real attendance and TV numbers actually support expansion? And does anyone anywhere actually consider league a growth sport/form of entertainment? Do we even have enough high level players to support more teams..? Contraction probably makes a lot more sense...

Definitely, without a legit home/away season the game is unbalanced feom the start!

Definitely, without a legit home/away season the game is unbalanced feom the start!
Add to that the continual gifting to certain clubs much desired free to air time-slots (I subscribed to Foxtel a couple of years ago was to actually see Manly play)
With more exposure, these 'popular' teams grow more popular inversely proportional to the lower membership teams left in the shadows.

Seems running a state, the commonwealth games and now the NRL is a little too complex for Beattie. How some people with no qualifications and no talent fall into these important roles huh? Can only hope the baseball rule comes in. 3 strikes and you’re out.

I can't imagine players are declaring $50k "gambling" winnings to the ATO. An audit would expose lifestyle > declared income
I took an accountancy short course years ago where we reviewed all sorts of tax cases.

There was an infamous ATO case in WA a few decades ago where a drug dealer did get a tax credit after the police took his stash as he had declared previous income :nerd:

Wow only 2004, it seems so long ago :wasntme:
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...er-allowed-tax-deduction-20041028-gdk02k.html

Last edited:
I took an accountancy short course years ago where we reviewed all sorts of tax cases.

There was an infamous ATO case in WA a few decades ago where a drug dealer did get a tax credit after the police took his stash as he had declared previous income :nerd:
Maybe the ATO will investigate Mr Plod for taking money under false pretences?

Nothing can be fixed quickly. A ****cloud hangs over the game. Belief, integrity and hope are at an all time low. It would take 5 years minimum to fix , if it started yesterday
The draw needs rectifying as do the timeslots. We need more arvo games. We need to get people throught the turnstyles to revive the game. The crowd, the game and the excitement is the game.nWe need to get people talking about the footy and not TPA,s refs,and judiciary inconsistencies.

We need all teams on the tele.

And even then it will take a few years

David smith and his future fund , that todd conveniently spent was the way forward. The NRL has to control and produce its content and make ****rags like the tele beg for content. But like the clubs , as long as the nrl is broke they are reliant on the tvtards

The current model of promoting every misdemeanour in clubland is about lowering the price the game will sell for at next rights deal, contrived by a seperate arm of the same companies bidding for the rights

People power or govr intervention is the only way the game is coming back. The govt bows to fox and people power in this country is pathetic

I can wish but im shopping for a new pastime

True.... but if a player is getting more than he should be ...but declares it to the tax office, isn't that all the ato is worried about?

The ato don't go back to the nrl and say "Hey, every roosters player claimed 30k over what you said you paid them!" Do they?

Plus they would just go buy a car for cash or use it for holidays or its their betting play money etc etc

Unless it goes into an account to create a papertrail, its a case of the ATO (or anyone) being able to prove the payment.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4