Hodkinson and tackling?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cliffy4PM

Reserve Grader
Why is our half back defending like a second rower? If the NRL stats are correct he's made 375 tackles and S. Rodney has made 389 tackles. Imagine if he had of started the season instead of coming in late. What could he possibly offer in attack after tackling himself to a stand still?

Cliffy4PM link said:
Why is our half back defending like a second rower? If the NRL stats are correct he's made 375 tackles and S. Rodney has made 389 tackles. Imagine if he had of started the season instead of coming in late. What could he possibly offer in attack after tackling himself to a stand still?
..  good point mate ...obvioulsy someone isnt doing their bit or theres alot of missed tackles  & he has to clean up..
its just tackle practise for him  ..  he will need it  when he`s at the dogs.. lol.. toovey was effective in both defence & attack so it isnt the tackling he is doing.. most times he comes in 2nd & 3rd man  theres not alot of 1 on 1`s there i bet..

There is a lot of one on one that I have seen and he is a very very good defender. He had Dave Taylor running at him all day against Souths and that is no easy task. In each game as the team's halfback he automatically gets a lot of traffic directed at him, I think most halfbacks get targeted to some extent.

Opposing sides target particular players and run at them. He defends on the same side as Glenn Stewart and T-Rex, and that edge has leaked a lot of points since JL was injured. Sometimes Bailey and his lack of sliding has hurt the defence and allowed for line busts. Hodkinson is a good defender but a couple of one-on-one misses cost us badly a few weeks ago.

Good point brought up. Is it just me or has hodkinson seemed a yard slower than at the start of the year?? Maybe he's playing with injury??

Canteen, sliding isn't the problem with Bailey, the problem is he doesn't commit to a tackle.  He slides alongside the ball carrier, and ultimate try scorer.  he did it twice in the Souths game.  He can't defend on the line.  A depressing fact given Rodney, a very good tackler,  sits on the sideline when he comes on.   

I don't think he's carrying an injury he's propably so tired with the amount of tackling he's doing.I've noticed on occassions when he's trying to chase down an opposition player he can't catch him.  

Most halfbacks these days would make on average around 20 tackles a game. TH is probably a bit above that average, but that may be because he doesn't shirk the defensive work and is not looking to "hide". He has missed a few, but his average missed tackles stat is pretty good compared to some other halves in the comp, notably Barba, Sandow and Marshall. As CW said, it's a tough gig being a halfback when opposition send a lot of big traffic at you and try and isolate you one on one defensively. I don't think Trent's defence is his issue.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6