Hip drop epidemic

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Will on the hill

Bencher
Tipping Member
I think I've seen 2 or 3 actual hip drops in my 40 years of watching RL. The modern day proliferation of this kind of tackle has been created by the single minded battle between attackers prioritising finding their front and defenders prioritising putting the ball runner on their back.

The priority should be metres for both parties. If the time of a PTB was standardised a lot of the BS in the ruck would go away. The constant battle to control the ruck is the biggest blight on RL. I'd love to see a game where every PTB was equal. It would prioritise attack and incentivise low tackles.

The speed of the ruck shouldn't be the be all and end all.

I’ve seen what they call a hip-drop plenty of times over the years in both league & union - using your own body weight to bring your man down is basic physics when tackling.

The issue IMO is that the officials are now aware of the risk of ankle & knee injuries occurring & are taking action now so we’re hearing about them all the time now.

I’ve seen what they call a hip-drop plenty of times over the years in both league & union - using your own body weight to bring your man down is basic physics when tackling.

The issue IMO is that the officials are now aware of the risk of ankle & knee injuries occurring & are taking action now so we’re hearing about them all the time now.
If you're willing to let the attacker fall on his front you wrap at the waist and slide down to the knees. That is a no no these days so players hold on to the upper body and lose their legs in an attempt to put the ball runner on their back.

Players are disadvantaged if they make the safer version of the tackle. If the NRL has player safety as a priority they need to find a way to encourage traditional legs tackles.

Have a look at this tackle and let me know if this is just a "tackle gone wrong" thing or a "fk this sh1t get it out of the game" thing.

Liam Knight's knee will never be the same.

View attachment 23623
Have a look at this tackle and let me know if this is just a "tackle gone wrong" thing or a "fk this sh1t get it out of the game" thing.

Liam Knight's knee will never be the same.
That's a cannonball not a hip drop but even that is caused by the battle to win the ruck. Two men up top with no intention to tackle, only trying to slow the ruck. Dog act for sure but the rules encourage the circumstances that lead to it.

shakira-belly-dance.gif

I may have been 10 beers down but I was fired up last Friday when that Storm guy didn't get sin binned for a hip drop. His whole body was off the ground. We just need consistency. Other blokes have been sin binned for lesser tackles in the last few weeks. I note the storm guy didn't get charged, so maybe I've got it wrong.

I think I've seen 2 or 3 actual hip drops in my 40 years of watching RL
It's possibly been in the game but no-one's noticed because it didn't have a name. Heard somewhere (forget where) the other day that video of ex-Tiger Taniela Tuaki's career-ending injury years ago shows it was caused by what is now known as the hip-drop.
Not inclined to go look but I now wonder about other horrific injuries such as Georgie Rose's busted leg and that young Bronco test winger whats-his-name.

The problem with these flavour of the month, kneejerk reactions is that players start appealing for everything, we need to be careful we don't go down the non contact route of soccer. A few years ago no-one knew what a crusher tackle was, now every few tackles someone lies on the floor holding their neck. Halfbacks go down like a sack of spuds when they put a kick in and someone dares to go anywhere near them. The merest hint of a high shot and players are holding their jaws. The hardmen of days gone by must be pissing their pants laughing at today's players.
I know as a game there's a duty of care for the players, but the players need to be honest in order to protect the game so that the spectacle and integrity of the game remains. It works both ways

The problem with these flavour of the month, kneejerk reactions is that players start appealing for everything, we need to be careful we don't go down the non contact route of soccer. A few years ago no-one knew what a crusher tackle was, now every few tackles someone lies on the floor holding their neck. Halfbacks go down like a sack of spuds when they put a kick in and someone dares to go anywhere near them. The merest hint of a high shot and players are holding their jaws. The hardmen of days gone by must be pissing their pants laughing at today's players.
I know as a game there's a duty of care for the players, but the players need to be honest in order to protect the game so that the spectacle and integrity of the game remains. It works both ways
You mean, honest as in the same way they commit themselves to a team or contract. Whole different world these days…

Almost inexplicable Haas was not sin binned. It was blatant inconsistency on the basis of the two either sin bins. In fact it was the worst of the three and has resulted in a player sustaining a long term injury. If the NRL are serious about rubbing out hip drops then Hass must be suspended for at least 3 weeks. I expect the referees will be getting a please explain,

Haas was a hip drop. RCG out for months. He needs to be sited and suspended for 2 matches at least after magic round.
And still nothing from the NRL on Haas from last night, if he doesn't get cited for this, then we should scrap this rule altogether....embarrassing !!

Haas was a hip drop. RCG out for months. He needs to be sited and suspended for 2 matches at least after magic round.
He has been charged and should end up out for a couple of games…..but gets one if he accepts the early guilty plea

Last edited:
A classic example officials freaking out about criticism for too many sin bins in a game. They froze at the thought of reducing a team to 11 men and had nothing to do with the merits of the tackle itself.
Thought that myself HKE, DeKline panicked and thought we cant have a team down to 11. He let himself and the game down last night. He also got it totally wrong in a play the ball incident where an attacking player was all over the player playing the ball causing him to lose the ball and possession. Won't be surprised if he gets to ref in the NSW cup next weekend.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4