He spent $15m saving Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
He spent $15m saving Manly, but Max doesn't think he's mad
Glenn Jackson
September 29, 2011

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/he-spent-15m-saving-manly-but-max-doesnt-think-hes-mad-20110928-1kxfs.html#ixzz1ZH24mEM0

MAX DELMEGE thinks about the $15 million occasionally, as you would. But the man who saved Manly also thinks of the prize that came before the fall. He is no doubt torn but, like someone being asked to choose which child is their favourite, he answers the question.

''Was it worth it?'' Delmege said this week. ''Yeah, it was worth it. Whatever move you make in life, you've got to say, 'If I hadn't have, I wouldn't have done this or done that.' Sure, there's other things that maybe wouldn't have happened too. I wouldn't have lost a lot of money.

''You're born with nothing, then you go - and you can't take it with you. Have I got rewards out of it? My word I have. We won the grand final 40-0, in the centenary year - the biggest win in rugby league history. What can I say?

Advertisement: Story continues below
''To see Manly come from virtually nothing in 2002, to three grand finals in 10 years, is quite remarkable. One win so far - hopefully the second one at 15 minutes past seven on Sunday.''

What does $15 million get you these days? For Delmege, it got him a framed photograph, which hangs in his study. The photograph was taken at the 2008 grand final, of the scoreboard at ANZ Stadium. It showed the time, 7.11pm. And the score: 40-0.

Delmege no doubt wishes he could freeze time, just as that camera did. Back then, the Sea Eagles were the premiers and Delmege was the man whose deep pockets helped make it happen. But much has happened since that night. The global financial crisis hit the property developer's business hard. He now has a minimal stake (somewhere between 3 and 4 per cent) of the Sea Eagles, and is no longer a Manly director, following a falling out with the Penn family, whose members have similarly poured their fortunes into football.

Delmege's involvement, and his subsequent fall, raises the obvious question: Had he known what he does now, that he would spend $15 million on the Sea Eagles before he would hit his own financial hardship, would he have signed that first cheque for a million dollars?

''Yes, I think I would have done it,'' Delmege said. ''I never expected to be the part-owner and the major sponsor of a team that wins the grand final 40-0, and to be in the grand final in 2007. In 2002, I never expected to be in the grand final in five years, and certainly not to win it 40-0 in six years, or to be in a third one, in 2011.

''The reward is the spectators, the fans, when you see them. They're so passionate. I didn't know how big the hole was, otherwise I would have been scared away. Nevertheless, once you're in, you're in.''

He is, he says, a passionate fan himself. Growing up in Maroubra, he supported the local team, South Sydney, before his job took him to the northern beaches. He worked at LJ Hooker in Newport, opened his first real estate agency at 22, having borrowed $4000 from the bank in 1967. He built an empire out of it, and saved a football club just weeks before insolvency.

He will be at the grand final on Sunday, of course, but having been the face of Manly's financial recovery for so long, he will be in the background.

''The global financial crisis has hit me pretty hard. But my motto is: Health is wealth. That's the most important thing you can have - your health, and the health of your family and friends,'' he said. ''Truly, I've been very lucky. I'm still alive.

''As I say to people, the **** today can be gold tomorrow, because you don't know what's around the corner. Anything can happen the next day.''

His personal and professional life have become tabloid fodder. But Delmege, who is now hosting talkback radio, believes it can all change. ''My involvement was purely to ensure Manly stayed in the NRL, and the hundreds of thousands of Manly supporters continued to enjoy watching their team,'' he said.

Ads by Google

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/he-spent-15m-saving-manly-but-max-doesnt-think-hes-mad-20110928-1kxfs.html#ixzz1ZH1wczXT

Sea Eagles saviour puts bitter past aside

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/sea-eagles-saviour-puts-bitter-past-aside/story-e6frg7mf-1226149859984

I think it's time we applied to Rome for the beatification of Saint Max. I know two miracles are required, but this is simple:

1. He has hoodwinked both major Sydney papers to endlessly describe his sponsorship of Manly, for which he would have gained a commercial benefit, as a "donation" or bail out.
2. That despite being broke he still managed to become tabloid fodder by hooking up with a much younger Glamazon as his mistress.

Max is sooooo awsum.

Matabele said:
1. He has hoodwinked both major Sydney papers to endlessly describe his sponsorship of Manly, for which he would have gained a commercial benefit, as a "donation" or bail out

No different to Scott saying the "Penn family has sunk about $5 million into the Sea Eagles" in yesterdays article in The Australian.

He is counting the Penn Health sponsorship in order to try to get to $5 mill, but I don't begrudge either of them that because they both paid way over the odds with their sponsorships when we had no-one else (and for a very poor return on investment). Both those sponsorships were every bit as important in our survival as their equity contributions.

At least it allows us to compare apples with apples.

Who cares if they overquote the amount? They've all poured in a bunch of money and good on them!

FFS it's GF week, it's like the lead up to 2008 all over again (might be a good omen).

Can we just agree that if it wasn't for BOTH Max and the Penns we wouldn't be there on Sunday. They were both guilty of carrying on like spoilt brats and overdramatising their roles, but who can begrudge them that.

Simmo said:
Matabele said:
1. He has hoodwinked both major Sydney papers to endlessly describe his sponsorship of Manly, for which he would have gained a commercial benefit, as a "donation" or bail out

No different to Scott saying the "Penn family has sunk about $5 million into the Sea Eagles" in yesterdays article in The Australian.

He is counting the Penn Health sponsorship in order to try to get to $5 mill, but I don't begrudge either of them that because they both paid way over the odds with their sponsorships when we had no-one else (and for a very poor return on investment). Both those sponsorships were every bit as important in our survival as their equity contributions.

At least it allows us to compare apples with apples.

Incorrect. Delmege came on board as a sponsor before he was an owner because he could see the commercial benefits that would accrue from it and benefited accordingly. Penn Health has only appeared on the shirt because Lowe failed to find a sponsor. Wouldn't it be phyrric that if they're paying for the loss anyway that they'd leave the shirt blank?

Chip and Chase said:
FFS it's GF week, it's like the lead up to 2008 all over again (might be a good omen).
Then maybe in 2008 a financially-struggling owner should not take have taken umbrage at a CEO for using the profile Grand Final to find a replacement sponsor.

And in 2011 maybe a former owner, consigned to history, shouldn't be making himself the story.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Ask you all a question
If you were a billionaire would you give money to the team you love ?

Bloody oath I would....and credit to both Max and the Penns. Max saved us when we only weeks away from extiction and the Penns jumped on board at the right time to continue our success. Unfortunately the 2 parties couldnt work together - Max's $$$ would come in handy now to resign Des!

While I agree the figures are probably over inflated and tied up in sponsorships and the newspapers are putting the maximum "spin" on it - no doubt Max played a very vital part in the saviour of the club and in weeks like this we should all remember that.

Same goes for the Penns - we have been blessed to find anyone as generous as these people, outside Nathan Tinkler at Newcastle which other clubs have had 'people' tip in as much cash as we have ?? I doubt Rusty Crowe puts as much into Souths as the Penns and Delmege have into Manly.

Thanks to both is the very least we can say.

I'm grateful for both putting in dollars to save our club. If the amounts are reported wrongly who gives a flying ****.

They are both businessmen who would have known that buying into an NRL club would cost them money. How many clubs run at a profit? One I think.

Blaming one or the other is getting a bit childish.

When these businesmen came along I thought the club would be run professionally but there seems to be factions and nepitism standing in the way.

Matabele said:
And in 2011 maybe a former owner, consigned to history, shouldn't be making himself the story.

Unlike a current owner saying the pit isn't bottomless, bemoaning million dollar losses, and wondering out loud about the feasibility of re-signing Dessie past 2102. They are both as bad as each other in this respect.

Matabele said:
Incorrect. Delmege came on board as a sponsor before he was an owner because he could see the commercial benefits that would accrue from it and benefited accordingly. Penn Health has only appeared on the shirt because Lowe failed to find a sponsor. Wouldn't it be phyrric that if they're paying for the loss anyway that they'd leave the shirt blank?
I am not sure why the constant need to run Delmege down at every opportunity, but at least get your facts straight.

In 2002, the first year after the end of the joint venture, but still using the name Northern Eagles, Manly were staring at a loss of $2.5m (after a Leagues Club grant of only $500k from Arko and Paul Cummings). Delmege stepped in and saved the club by covering the loss by buying the football club offices across the road from the leagues club for about 3 times theit value. They put his name on the Jersey for the latter part of the season as a thank you and to try and give him something back. He then paid over the odds for sponsorship between 2003-2008, not just in terms of his commercial return but compared to other NRL sponsorships (eg Delmege was paying $1mill while Pirtek paid $500k for Parra).

As for Penn Health, I suggest you go back and check the tape of the 2008 Grand Final, where you will find Penn Health sponsorship emblazoned across the back of the Jersey, 2 years before Lowe arrived in Dec09.

Much like max you would think this could be left until the week after the GF

So let me get this straight once and for all. We lost the Grand final in 07 to a team who cheated and had their victory taken away, We then beat them 40-0 in 2008 and we are back in another grand final in 2011. Now who cares about the fineprint of who did what? LETS WIN ON SUNDAY!!!!

Anyone that puts their name on our proud Sea Eagle jersey puts their money where theri mouth is

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8