• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
Doing housework, making babies

Working women in dual-income families want more equality when it comes to sharing household chores before they consider having babies.

July 9, 2007 - 11:33AM

Husbands who pick up a duster and help their wives with the housework might be doing much more than just sprucing up their homes.

A new study released in Britain has found that working wives with husbands who roll up their sleeves around the home are more likely to have children.

The findings suggest that working women in dual-income families want more equality when it comes to sharing household chores before they consider having babies.

In her study, London School of Economics research student Pia Schober found that couples with a traditional male breadwinner and stay-at-home mum were 50 per cent more likely to have a second child than dual-income couples.

However, when husbands in dual-income marriages did more than one third of the housework they raised the chance of their wives having their first baby by 79 per cent.

And if they then helped out looking after that first baby, the likelihood of their wife having a second child leapt by 50 per cent.

Ms Schober said the results suggested that the more husbands helped around the home, the more likely their wives were to fulfil their desire for children.

"I think it shows that there are now more and more women who expect and want men to contribute," she said.

"That doesn't mean that on the other hand that the traditional (marriage) model (with a male breadwinner and stay-at-home mum) doesn't work.

"However, there is evidence that men's contribution to housework and childcare does matter."

Ms Schober quizzed more than 1,000 British couples with wives ranging in age between 20 and 40.

Her study, Family Work and Selection into Parenthood among British Couples, was released at the British Household Panel Survey conference in England last week.

Ms Schober said having a child usually changed a woman's life more than a man's, with possible falls in paid earnings and career opportunities.

"Among dual earner couples, those with full-time employed mothers and young children bear the largest overall work burden, and, due to persisting gender inequalities in domestic work, more of that workload falls on mothers than fathers," she said.

Ms Schober said government policies which allow working men more flexibility to help look after their families would help take pressure off their wives, especially those in full-time employment and wanting to have more children.

More affordable and expanded childcare services would also help, she said.

That says to me....not cleaning is a winning situation all around for me

Amen Dan. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get that message through after ten years of trying.

[quote author=weneedacement]
get a cleaner.

creates employment, gets you laid.

I quote Madonna:

Poor is the man
Whose pleasures depend
On the permission of another

[/quote]

Exactly, tie the bitch down, slap her around and have your way with her huh matas?

Hey you are the one that said it in the context above, I just translated

That's a lazy assumption. It demonstrates you are not the lover you claim to be.

Or how poorly you anticipated the multiple possible meanings within the phrase you posted. A poet you are not!

I was completely aware of the multiple meanings and I knew the assumption you would make.

What is amusing is that you were possibly unaware there were other options until I pointed it out.

Why would I say the boring other meanings, when there is more comedy for me in pointing out the worst of them. lets not pretend you see more than everyone else.

Poor is the man
Whose pleasures depend
On the permission of another
I just took it to mean Mata knows Mrs Palmer quite well. ;)

Then again I'm married too and have also got to know her fairly well over the years.

If Dan is trying to insinuate that Madonna (who I quote) is an advocate of wife bashing and rape then he is dumber than he looks.

a quote taken out of context can mean anything. Hey you really think madonna has something to say?

She wouldnt have been smart enough to realise her quote could have been taken another way

I do however know that you are dumb enough to believe that I actually think that is what was meant, so I will play at it some longer for you if you like, now dance my jester dance

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4