[Resurrected] Haslers first year

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It's all about dentifing the talent and developing them into grand final wining team. Trent may be able to do this but I know Des can.

We had a great core of talent that developed through the years from 05 onwards. Matai, Gift, Snake, Choc, Beaver, King, etc....!

And our recruits for 05, 06 and 07 were mostly amazing. Amongst them Kennedy, Kite, Orford and Killer were all extremely talented, had great attitudes, were natural leaders and were all round good blokes as well.

We did not recruit a great deal of has been journey men or reserve graders hoping they would become first graders.

Our recruitment and core talent was truly top notch. Our recruitment at present is not (although we do have some great core talent).
We had a great core of talent that developed through the years from 05 onwards. Matai, Gift, Snake, Choc, Beaver, King, etc....!

And our recruits for 05, 06 and 07 were mostly amazing. Amongst them Kennedy, Kite, Orford and Killer were all extremely talented, had great attitudes, were natural leaders and were all round good blokes as well.

We did not recruit a great deal of has been journey men or reserve graders hoping they would become first graders.

Our recruitment and core talent was truly top notch. Our recruitment at present is not (although we do have some great core talent).
I reckon after looking back at the players there were loads of journey types who played their role and our recruitment now is great in my opinion. The titles were a result of many years recruitment , this is year one or two.

Well considering in 2003 we finished 14th at least Des improved the ****ing side in his first season. Barrett has taken us backwards. Back in '04 we knew we were in for a rough season and the club never pretended otherwise. At the start of this season we had owners and club staff waxing lyrical about how great they'd done to build this roster. Now they've failed miserably and they're just spitting out excuses.
I'm sorry, but you can't polish the turd that has been our 2016 season, or the failings of our front office and coaching staff.

Last edited:
Not just them Turbo, we have got Matt Parcell, Frank Winterstein, Matthew Wright, Blake Green and Wiliame

The future looks bright if these players can gel and develop some form together.
Williame will never be a great first grader. He is just not up to it. He will not develop anymore. The others except for Blake Green the sky is the limit and I would include Parker in that, there is a lot to like about Parker.

I reckon after looking back at the players there were loads of journey types who played their role and our recruitment now is great in my opinion. The titles were a result of many years recruitment , this is year one or two.

Yes definitely agree that our titles were a result of many years recruitment and realise we are in year two of a build. However IMO just don't think Luke Burgess, Walker, Myles, Brown, Wiliame, Api, etc have set the team on fire, whether it is a injury or whatever, have not lived up to expectation.

Lussick has definitely surprised me and I will give him that, Parcell has potential for sure but has injury concerns.

However Ben Kennedy, Matt Orford and Jaime Lyon for example made clearly noticeable impacts on our teams. These players were/are exceptional.

But at present - the decade of dominance 2005/2014 recruitment was far better vs 2015, 2016 recruitment. (Admittedly it is hardly comparable at the moment 2 years vs 10 years.)

It takes time to assemble a quality team but I have honestly been a little disappointed with a large percent of our recruits from last year and this.

We are on the build so I look forward to getting that recruit or two with the x factor, to lay the final touches to a promising core that is building. (Provided we nurture that core and don't flick them or stuff up their contracts). The bar is set high, but that is what it takes to be successful.

The match against the Bulldogs with a team depleted (as it's been all year) managing to fight for eachover, playing with their hearts and to take the game to golden point showed me, and hopefully all of us that we are set for a huge future... again. I can sense a Golden Era Ver 2 coming along and it begins as soon as we have a good year in the injury department and when we add Nelson Asofa Solomona and Matt Gillett/James Roberts to our side... Yep i reckon it begins next year. Should the injury curse be removed, Blake Green play in the halves, Walker in centre, Willis Meehan in the team, Starling out of the team and Myles on the bench (or out of the team as suggested by his form this season) we will prove to be a force again since injuries have cruelled our chances of proving so this season, although i do understand patience is the key but then again when are Manly fans patient.

Robbo was one of those risky, possibly a dud, signings who eliminated his handling weaknesses and became as good as he could possibly be. ditto Wolfman. Bell was a proven and reliable try scorer. Ballin was a tackling machine with a beautiful pass off the ground. The spine players, Orford, Ballin, Stewart, Lyon were key to the magic, along with the kick ass set of pigs up front.

We won't recreate that again, but we have the makings of a really strong side with a different character. I hope players like the Turbos, Ferris, Jorge, Parker etc get to be part of a successful period.

In 2004 Hasler finished his maiden year as a 1st grade coach. His team finished in 13th position and conceded 30 points a game(754). A young fullback shone despite this and hinted at better things to come. In 2016 Barrett will finish in a similar position in his maiden season with a developing roster as well , the defence conceeding 23 points a game. A young fullback shone brightly again. To win a title from this lowly position the club recruited very well and everyone played a role in a great era.
Come again???? When Des Hasler and Noel Cleal arrived in 2004, they had 14 players, half of which were fringe players, and the club was near enough broke. When Barrett arrived, he walked players at his discretion (Ballin, Hiku) and was given players he demanded (Walker, Brown, Taupau). This is not to mention the fact that he had an established first grade squad. The club has had injuries granted, but his list management and recruitment has been poor at best.Your comparison is grossly inaccurate.

Come again???? When Des Hasler and Noel Cleal arrived in 2004, they had 14 players, half of which were fringe players, and the club was near enough broke. When Barrett arrived, he walked players at his discretion (Ballin, Hiku) and was given players he demanded (Walker, Brown, Taupau). This is not to mention the fact that he had an established first grade squad. The club has had injuries granted, but his list management and recruitment has been poor at best.Your comparison is grossly inaccurate.
To say he had an established 1st grade squad is the illusion that is causing so much grief. You are not worth debating with.

Couldnt agree more manly@capital.

This barrett love fest is making me cringe. Now look barrett himself i dont mind. Hes keen and does have potential. He would make a grest no.2 under Dessie.

Get that useless cartwright out asap. Please do correct me if im wrong but what has he ever done as a coach? The titans sucked big time when he was there. Look at his record.

2007–14 Gold Coast Titans 186 86 0 100 46
2009–11 City Origin 3 1 0 2 33
2004 USA 1 0 0 1 0

Not exactly stellar.

Give me a coach with some mongeral. Some fire. Some bloody ability... des is that man. All this ' i hate des crap ' would dissappear overnight if we started winning again.... It may never happen but sweet jesus if he does leave the dogs please please bring him home....

That 04 team suffered some horrible beatings that year but we did see some young talent emerge and we all know what happened in th following years. The difference this time is I dont see the depth of young talent coming through and I do not see a recruitment plan that Des and Crusher put in place.

Well considering in 2003 we finished 14th at least Des improved the ****ing side in his first season. Barrett has taken us backwards. Back in '04 we knew we were in for a rough season and the club never pretended otherwise. At the start of this season we had owners and club staff waxing lyrical about how great they'd done to build this roster. Now they've failed miserably and they're just spitting out excuses.
I'm sorry, but you can't polish the turd that has been our 2016 season, or the failings of our front office and coaching staff.
Hasler finishes 13th and he has plenty of reasons , Barrett does the same and he has none. Somehow Neil Henry would enter the debate if it suited your point but I doubt it does. Try John Lang in his first year at Penrith but see if everything is true about Barretts woeful effort are you able to say that proves what will happen in 17 and 18? Any takers on results in these years? Most are hoping for top 8 but some appear certain it can't happen under Barrett .

In 2004 Hasler finished his maiden year as a 1st grade coach. His team finished in 13th position and conceded 30 points a game(754). A young fullback shone despite this and hinted at better things to come. In 2016 Barrett will finish in a similar position in his maiden season with a developing roster as well , the defence conceeding 23 points a game. A young fullback shone brightly again. To win a title from this lowly position the club recruited very well and everyone played a role in a great era.
Hasler had a bottom 4 squad & twenty had a to 4 squad. The similarities are eerie.

It looks like we have a lot of different perspectives here and that is normal. But don't worry there is a group of fans which will be much more dissappointed with this season than us, unless things turn right around, yes the dogs fans

I think you might be mistaking Barrett with Zorba and Bozo. As for the three recruits you mentioned, Tapau has been excellent in the second half of the season - he is a top buy for us.

Last edited:
Hasler had a bottom 4 squad & twenty had a to 4 squad. The similarities are eerie.
Funny how some view the recruitment under Barrett as a joke and clueless but when he finishes way down the ladder it's a stellar lineup. Like Hasler, Barrett has players run out on the field who will not be in a title winning team and some that will.

That 04 team suffered some horrible beatings that year but we did see some young talent emerge and we all know what happened in th following years. The difference this time is I dont see the depth of young talent coming through and I do not see a recruitment plan that Des and Crusher put in place.
The recruitment plan of those two is many years down the track at another club. Their own recruitment record at the dogs is dismal against their own record at Manly . They could be human

It was a 5 year plan then and is now, trouble is everyone's so used to being at the top they have no patience to wait longer than one year.

Apparently a cleaner was peaking thru the keyhole and saw Barrett slapping Bozo around when he wouldn't agree to these signings and when Zorba stepped in a couple of drumsticks disappeared from his snack pack and no further objections were lodged when Lewis Browns name came up

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2