Hasler legacy causing grief

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ceagle

Bencher
It was Des Hasler's unstinting loyalty to his players that built a bond so strong it delivered two premierships at Manly in four seasons.

But the former coach's obsession with keeping the core of his side together, back-ending deals to keep the salary cap at bay, is now starting to bite.

The Sea Eagles have a real fight on their hands to retain halves Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans along with try-scoring fullback Brett Stewart.

It's the deal with the brilliant Cherry-Evans that is causing most angst at Brookvale, with his manager Gavin Orr demanding a significantly upgraded deal after signing under Hasler for a modest fee to cover the 2012-13 seasons.

Cherry-Evans' request for a release for the 2013 season has been knocked back but something will have to give as the Sea Eagles attempt to balance the books in the post-Hasler era.

"We been lucky enough since '08 to keep the basis of a really good squad," veteran prop Brent Kite noted on Thursday.

"Dessie did a good job in the past keeping the squad together but he has left us with a few headaches."

"But it's catch-22. You get those players staying last year but they might not be here without a back-ended deal."

"It's the nature of the beast."

Asked if he bore any resentment towards Hasler for back-ending deals, Kite responded: "Not at all. One of his great strengths was recruitment."

"That might sound a bit funny (but) he got the right players, the right type of players and he held onto them."

"But it's a bit like the credit bubble I guess…it's got to burst eventually."

Manly coach Geoff Toovey, enjoying a perfect 2-0 start to his career, denied the Cherry-Evans saga was a distraction.

And he is confident the club can retain the majority of its stars.

"It's not concerning at all because I thought the wheels were in motion to sort out Daly's future and beyond the current contract. As far as I know it's proceeding," he said.

"It's news to me (that he wants a release). He's playing extremely good football and that's all he can do for himself and I think the people around him and at the club will sort out the rest."

"With any successful team players want to be remunerated fairly and that's what we want to do."

"We are (confident we can hold onto our stars), we're confident that the people in the office and behind the scenes are really working hard to make sure that everyone has a reasonable outcome."

"That's what we're working towards and I'm pretty confident we'll get there."

http://www.sportal.com.au/league-news-display/hasler-causing-headaches-166408

On a side note, is the general consensus that Desmond deliberately back ended deals and re-signed so called "Less Important" players in a bid to bring the club down or is it just that he saw it coming and got the **** out?

I've been tossing this around in my head a lot lately, after des was sacked, he went straight on the offensive, threatening legal action etc, then manly hit back with proof (?) of his secret handshaking and dodgy dealings. If manly have the proof, that he was signed at Canterbury long before everyone is been led to believe and was then ****ing with our books(by back loading older players and neglecting others) surely this is a case for the courts, with deregistration, or some other harsh sanctions.. It appears much more sinister, conniving and unscrupulous than I ever thought possible.

How did a guy who appeared to love his job, love his team and love his club so much, end up wanting to destroy it and surely compromise the core principles of a good, decent human?

Coz this is just how it's beginning to look to me.

joeboy said:
How did a guy who appeared to love his job, love his team and love his club so much, end up wanting to destroy it and surely compromise the core principles of a good, decent human?

Coz this is just how it's beginning to look to me.
Despite the fact that a number of posters persist in making defamatory allegations, there has never been any evidence published that supports your allegation.

My own take, for what it's worth, is that at some stage it became clear to Des that he really might be going to a rival club, and sooner rather than later. If, as it appears, he did not make that clearly known to Sea Eagles management, then there was an immediate potential for conflict of interest.

Any negotiations Des took part in thereafter were potentially tainted by that conflict. Certainly if there was an agreement by Des to go to the Dogs, and Manly were not informed of that, a clear conflict of interest arose.

I have no doubt Des, in his own mind, was not trying to destroy anything, and was trying to do his best in negotiating for Manly. I suspect he found himself in the situation and didn't think through the ramifications. Based on my knowledge of him, I find that scenario far easier to accept than that he deliberately set about to destroy the club. In my opinion that has always been a ludicrous suggestion.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
I have no doubt Des, in his own mind, was not trying to destroy anything, and was trying to do his best in negotiating for Manly. I suspect he found himself in the situation and didn't think through the ramifications. Based on my knowledge of him, I find that scenario far easier to accept than that he deliberately set about to destroy the club. In my opinion that has always been a ludicrous suggestion.

This

FFS he was able to keep a squad with some 10 internationals 2 SOO players and and a couple of future superstars together over a number of years and despite all the bleating up to this date we have not lost a single player.

The thing is that when Bennet got 1 mil to coach N/ctle that changed the way Des thought.

Anyone who knows Des, knows that money is a big driver.

I don't think he ever thought that we would ever match the Dogs offer of 850,000.
Manly only got to this number in the week after the G F. He had already taken the deal with the Dogs 2 months before.

He lied to everyone when he said he could of got more money by staying at manly.

In that time he set about making things hard for the club to hold some of our players and staff.

It has and always will be about him first not the club.
He and others who have left has always thought that they were the club and it owes them.

lovefooty said:
The thing is that when Bennet got 1 mil to coach N/ctle that changed the way Des thought.

Anyone who knows Des, knows that money is a big driver.

I don't think he ever thought that we would ever match the Dogs offer of 850,000.
Manly only got to this number in the week after the G F. He had already taken the deal with the Dogs 2 months before.

He lied to everyone when he said he could of got more money by staying at manly.

In that time he set about making things hard for the club to hold some of our players and staff.

It has and always will be about him first not the club.
He and others who have left has always thought that they were the club and it owes them.

This 100% accurate.

All of this is nothing but speculation or reliance on "sources"

we do not know why Des left - Des does and no one else

lsz said:
All of this is nothing but speculation or reliance on "sources"

we do not know why Des left - Des does and no one else

Well you must of been walking around with your eyes closed for the last 6 months.

Manly gave Des all his big opportunities in the game up until now.
In return he and his big mate have spat in the clubs face.
This is a good indicator of there caricature
Very poor effort by them I say.

No - i prefer to not rely on speculation from the media

Not sure how they spat in the clubs face. The club had an option to be involved in everything des did (including signing up his support staff to longer contracts, back ended deals etc) and they did not

I am sure he is not without blame but i do not think he is judas

lsz said:

Not sure how they spat in the clubs face. The club had an option to be involved in everything des did (including signing up his support staff to longer contracts, back ended deals etc) and they did not

You must be the only one that doesn't think that.

This was in the Worm Weirdlers weekly fiction column today. Obviously Anthony Mundane or $BW didn't have any PR releases today, so Danny had to make up a story about DCE strugling to survive on $85K.

HASSLED OVER HASLER
MANLY insiders are still fuming about Des Hasler's departure from the club and privately they are blaming Hasler for the terrible salary cap situation they are in. The club's cap situation is so bad, next year they would struggle to buy Daly Cherry-Evans a meat pie. Hasler was far more than a coach at the Sea Eagles - he ran the show to a large degree and signed the roster he needed. Hasler was due to stay this year but was sacked by the club. The real contract problems for the Sea Eagles arise next year and beyond. Hasler would be used to being blamed for most things so it would not be a huge shock to him. It is doubtful that if he had stayed at the club that any of this mess would have been played out in the public eye. His man management skills are too good for that. And there would have been no promises made that the club would keep Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran before a ball had been kicked this year. On the day Cherry-Evans's situation was splashed all over the media relating to his contract dispute, the true extent of his pay dramas came to light. We know he is earning $85,000 at present, but on Thursday morning he could not afford to buy a toasted sandwich, and a soft drink from the Sea Eagles canteen was not in his price range. He had to give the canteen an IOU of 15¢. Channel Nine league reporter Erin Molan offered to spot him, but he politely declined.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/et-tarnishes-his-shiny-tv-image-20120317-1vbz4.html#ixzz1pPmmJuu9

lovefooty said:
lsz said:

You must be the only one that doesn't think that.
You'll find there are actually a few of us on here that
don't think that. But don't let that stop your speculative rants.

It's difficult to know when he made up his mind to leave but once he did he had to start thinking about setting himself up at the dogs. That could only come to the detriment of Manly but I think by that stage he didn't care what damage he did.

Some players like to play under a particular coach and others just like to play with their mates. Some players even think they can't be successful unless they play for a particular coach, Boyd being the case in point.

Not being coached this year by Hasler will be odd for the players but not necessirally bad. I often got the feeling the players resented the authoritarian way he controlled everything and having Toov's there seems like a breath of fresh air. The playing group were always close and this year gives them a chance to get away from Hasler's influence and realise that even though he was part of the reason for their success, he wasn't the only reason.

Daddycool said:
It's difficult to know when he made up his mind to leave but once he did he had to start thinking about setting himself up at the dogs. That could only come to the detriment of Manly but I think by that stage he didn't care what damage he did.

Some players like to play under a particular coach and others just like to play with their mates. Some players even think they can't be successful unless they play for a particular coach, Boyd being the case in point.

Not being coached this year by Hasler will be odd for the players but not necessirally bad. I often got the feeling the players resented the authoritarian way he controlled everything and having Toov's there seems like a breath of fresh air. The playing group were always close and this year gives them a chance to get away from Hasler's influence and realise that even though he was part of the reason for their success, he wasn't the only reason.

Well said but further to this Des took advantage of the board issues.
Penns want to be the only ones there.

The football club (members) want there say. The penns don't want that.

Delmege sold to quantum and want to be involved in the Club.(Not what the Penns want).

Perry made the right call by wanting Zorba out. The whole board backed him.

Des thought he could use all of this to mask the real reason he wanted to leave, MONEY.(and a lot of it in the dogs deal)

All of this happened in Aug last year

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4