Hasler’s hell is just what this kid needs: T Williams

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

deadlyeagle

Reserve Grader
Hasler’s hell is just what this kid needs

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/hasler-s-hell-is-just-what-this-kid-needs/

31 Oct 208, Peter Peters

PLAYING rugby league in 2008 with loose and undisciplined teams like Parramatta and now Tonga is hardly the right preparation for Manly’s new 19-year-old signing, Tony Williams.

If ever a player looked in need of the Sea Eagles’ rock-hard regime of coach Des Hasler it is the highly promising, soon-to-be backrower.

Williams agreed to sign with Manly early in the 2008 season while still a relatively unknown in Parramatta’s under-20 Toyota Cup side. Used mostly as a winger by the Eels, the youngster made 11 NRL appearances in his rookie season and scored four tries.

Parramatta were little more than a rabble at the end of the season as they imploded into a side with little spirit.

It was hardly the environment needed for Williams to gain valuable experience before his switch of clubs.

Young stars like Jarryd Hayne, Krisnan Inu and Feleti Mateo actually went backwards in their careers after promising so much the previous season.

Once Parramatta failed to make the finals, Williams targetted the World Cup and his selection in the Tongan side as his next challenge.

And if Tonga’s performance against Ireland last Monday is a guide, then there is little to be gained by Williams in the blood-red jersey of the South Pacific island. Tonga play a power game with no signs of discipline and if the bully-boy tactics don’t work then there is no fallback.

To be fair, Williams did his job and didn’t get involved in a lot of the rubbish that went on in the game.

Williams looks to me to be a young player looking for a pathway in the game. He will get it the moment he steps into the Manly system.

Exactly 12 months ago Josh Perry came to Manly looking to revive his career. As a youngster Perry carried everything before him and played in a premiership-winning side and State of Origin before he was 22. But, like Williams, he was in need of a change and all the hard work has paid off with another premiership and selection in the Australian World Cup side his reward.

Williams has a summer like never before ahead of him. But come March he will be ready to embark on an exciting career with a football club which believe the harder one works the luckier one gets.

NO matter where sports people travel these days they are under public scrutiny ... but it isn’t always a bad image which comes across.

I received this email yesterday from Miss Casey Clarke who is the personal assistant to the general manager and mayor of Lithgow City Council.

It read: “Hi Peter, I just wanted to e-mail the club and advise them that recently I was in LA and met the Manly boys who were on their end-of- season trip at LA Airport. We were all on our way to Las Vegas. I went over and spoke to them and they were perfect gentlemen. They chatted to me and my parents, had photos with me and also chatted on the plane. Once in Vegas they again chatted with us and waved, etc, whenever we ran into them.

I just wanted to congratulate Matt Ballin, Steve Menzies, Mark Bryant, Steve Bell, Glenn Hall, Jason King and also Michael Monaghan on being so friendly towards us, nothing was a problem for them. They made my day! Congratulations to the club for the way these boys behaved on their trip away and performed during the year. I am so proud to be a Manly supporter. Thank you for a fantastic year.”

Casey Clarke - huge Manly fan.

THE Sea Eagles aren’t locking up the Telstra Cup since winning the game’s holy grail on October 5.

The cup was taken to the newly-formed Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles at Caloundra recently and has been doing the rounds of local schools.

This week the hard-working staff of Manly League’s Club had photos taken with the trophy in recognition of their work on grand final night when thousands of fans wanted a glimpse of the team and trophy.

In the next few weeks a group of English supporters, here for the World Cup, will have the opportunity to have their photos taken with the trophy.

The Sea Eagles may even take the trophy to England with them when they challenge for the World Club Championship at Elland Road, in Leeds, against the Leeds Rhinos, on March 1.

Michael Monaghan with the boys in Las Vegas?  Great club, says it all really.  Seems to me that players get really well treated by the club, have a fantastic bond and have a real and enduring loyalty. 

Monaghan would have had money stuck all over him when he did his roulette wheel impersonation. 

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6