Hard Edge - Where is Manly's web strategy???????

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man

Given the number of refugees that are skulking over here with their tail between their legs I can only assume that MSE has returned to it’s Gestapo antics and clamping down on anyone that isn’t in sgt’s little inner clique (commonly known as the Rockers).

A couple of observations:

1. If the general state of Manly’s official web-site isn’t bad enough (the worst design and least updates in the NRL) then the message boards and the way they are run are just the clincher. Completely and utterly unprofessional and un-attuned to the modern way of web-management.

2. Modern marketing is all about creating community and “vibe�. I would contend that the opposite happens on MSE with the preservation of an inner clique that is reprehensible to the fan that fits the general demographic of Manly fan (white collar, urban professional with university degree).

3. It is the demographic I describe above that has the most to contribute to the club in terms of capital, ideas and goodwill. I cannot for the life of me understand why they are being shunned, repulsed even.

Would anyone care to explain what plans Manly has to capitalise on its web-site, and the message board, as a valuable marketing tool to take the club boldly into the 21st Century.

I’ve heard much talk for 12 months but the only action I see is the regular deletion of intelligent, passionate Manly supporters who have much to contribute.

On point 1, I remember reading a post by admin or The Dean over there saying the contract for the website is up at the end of the season or something, so hopefully there's a major overhaul then.

That may be the case but the site is the same it has been for the past 3-4 years - an absolute eyesore!

It'd be worth tearing up any contracts to get a decent web-site or put pressure on the current mob to do something professional.

Only $2000 would see a SIGNIFICANTLY better result. someone like Dan would probably do it for contra - season ticket for instance.

It also doesn't explain why the news is sometimes 7 days old, nor does it explain why there is no input into the web-site from players or staff.

In that respect it has gone backwards. At least a few years ago we got "Sharp's points" - for what they were worth.

Agreed. But there are plenty of others, including those with the power to make things happen, who silently read these pages.

They may not like my methods but they know I speak the truth.

Lets hope things get sorted out. From what I read there are quite a few unhappy customers.

"sorting out" will probably require drastic surgery.

I'm not sure if the gumption is there for the hard decisions to be made.

One thing is certain, the status quo is worse than even just shutting the eye sore down.

I spoke to the Marketing Manager earlier in the year, who explained that website changes would be looked at in the off-season. The priority up until October is football (rightly) and changes will be looked at then. One positive change is the move to rename the site - manlyseaeagles.com

I am happy for the wait as this allows the matter to be considered carefully and whatever surgery is needed to be undetrtaken thoughtfully. I suppose contracts with hosts/developers need to be fulfilled as well.

A net strategy is needed as the club is getting around 14000 at each game. I am sure a percentage of these visit the site for news and to read the forums. There are probably many that don't!

Of posters there is a core of about 30 to 50 regulars, including the Rocker connection, the young guns, the I'm Bored/Desperate Housewife connection (with Kiwi :lol:) and there are several out of towners in far flung places in Australian, NZ with a strong contingent north of the border.

The out of towners use the site for Manly news that they can't get through the normal news sources, a few use the forum to keep in touch with Manly pals and others use it to speculate on things Manly, exalt in victories and let off steam after losses (except the True Supporters who always support their team and love losing as it allows them to puff themselves up about what loyal Manly fans they are as they don't sledge the players.) There are a proportion of people who have been given a voice by the net (prior to the net they were loners and voiceless) who use the site as social interaction, to share views and have a voice!

My guess is that the hit number of ME is huge, that many more people visit for news and read rather than write posts (as similar to AE) and that the regulars that post are only a small proportion of the Manly fan base. There is the potential to use the net much more widely and for a much wider group.

It is imperative that the small group of hard core users of the forum are not the only consideration as they are already part of the committed in supporting the club. The aim is to reach and involve those who are not yet connected. (In the same way the club would be silly just to rely on the views of Rockers or dare I say AE regulars.)

For consideration are:

1. What is the main purpose of the website?
2. How is this best achieved?

I am sure Philip Dean and the club would welcome input.

CW - eloquent thoughts, but waiting till the end of the season is a complete phurphy.

Consider this:

The only "news" on the site is a weekly media release, riddled with spelling and syntax errors, of the teams and, if you're lucky, a report cut and pasted from AAP about the game result.

Seriously, even I could do a daily article or update on the club or players that would make for compelling reading and generate huge publicity and loyalty to the site. And it would take less than half an hour on a daily basis.

With access to the players and coaching staff this SHOULD be a walk in the park.

Why isn't it done????????

Look, go to www.parraeels.com.au and observe the difference. Interactive, interesting and up to date. Interestingly, no forum either, but you've seen the quality of the Parra forum over at LU - intelligent and lively debate without the need for intervention from the club.

As I said, it's not rocket science, it's very cheap to do, give HUGE bang for the buck AND IT COULD START TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!

Mata - the Parra site does have a forum - see the menu on the left with bulletin board. It's not much good but probably little different to that of MSE.

You duck the rest of what I say.

Is that because it is true and incredibly easy to implement immediately????????

Im not sure why we are bothering. No matter how much we carry on and moan about these problems we all know its not going to make a difference.

We end up in forum wars which are a waste of time and in the end this site ends up with the more intellingent topics to discuss. Thats what we are after isn't it?

But just so I contribute in some way to the discussion, the MSE site is a joke, but when I first started following manly I didn't know what the internet was. Im not even sure it was invented then. I think it all comes down to good parenting! :lol: Does the MSE site effect my support for the team, or my love of football in any way shape or form. NO!

If the club told all the supporters to take a jump (like zorba sometimes does) I wouldn't stop supporting my team. I think we need to realise that only so much damage can be done with a web site but by the same token so much can be done with the proper use. In the end thats not up to us, its up to the club.

I completly agree the site needs to be attended to, but Im not going to continue on with it because it just doesn't make sense to waste my time with someone elses problems.

Of the 17 000 who show up to brookie for a home game, how many would use that site????

Im not sure why we are bothering. No matter how much we carry on and moan about these problems we all know its not going to make a difference.

We end up in forum wars which are a waste of time and in the end this site ends up with the more intellingent topics to discuss. Thats what we are after isn't it?

But just so I contribute in some way to the discussion, the MSE site is a joke, but when I first started following manly I didn't know what the internet was. Im not even sure it was invented then. I think it all comes down to good parenting! :lol: Does the MSE site effect my support for the team, or my love of football in any way shape or form. NO!

If the club told all the supporters to take a jump (like zorba sometimes does) I wouldn't stop supporting my team. I think we need to realise that only so much damage can be done with a web site but by the same token so much can be done with the proper use. In the end thats not up to us, its up to the club.

I completly agree the site needs to be attended to, but Im not going to continue on with it because it just doesn't make sense to waste my time with someone elses problems.

Of the 17 000 who show up to brookie for a home game, how many would use that site????

Of course you would not stop supporting the team....but you would stop supporting the club...like for instance NOT BECOMING A MEMBER! ;)

It is for other reasons that im not a member daniel. Id love to own an $80 hat but its just no feesable for me right now. Im trying to build a finacial platform for myself before I do for the club.

Say no to hats.

The mods and admins here no one of the other reasons I am not a member besides the price (and the Hat) it was because of the crap I had to go through with some club officials when this site started and their subsequent treatment of fans and supporters on the MSE site. It was unprofessional and offensive

And now, after all of that you still have the membership drives to divert people to the club.

What a bloke!

It just show's you the club we all love & have passion for not only treat's it's player's with distain but it's fans as well..Back when they shafted Fatty and Thommo i was so disgusted i sent a letter to the club telling them i had supported them since i was 5(1972) and they could go to hell.I bet it didn't even make it to Doug Daley's desk but i had to vent.It took a few year's for me to be able to go to Brookie again,but i couldn't stay away forever.Manly is in my blood...And no i am not a football club member as yet.I was thinking about joining this sunday.Maybe if Lisa is doing the sign up's i might fold :lol:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4