Haneef overboard

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
How long before Howard tries to tell us that Haneef was plotting to eat our children?

Seems to me the largest charge they could lay against him is stupidity, but this is an election year. :naughty: :naughty:

Let's not start another thread about national security and terrorism, seeing as the last one was a victim of a covert operation to remove it without explanation. :naughty:

Anyway you are of the belief that we are naive to our susceptibility, now you are taking them to task for doing something and detaining the guy. :doh:

The other thread was removed when I realised I might become yet another inncent victim of political expediency. ;)

I suspected as much, luckily I kept a copy of it and will be forwarding it shortly to the much maligned terrorism hotline. Be interesting to test it's effectiveness.

As far as Haneef goes, I haven't followed the story closely. All I know is that he is related in some way to one of the guys in the UK and that his mobile phone or SIM card ended up in their possession. However given that he was afforded bail of only $10,000.00 I assume that the case against him isn't of 9/11 proportions.

This may be taken the wrong way, but given that he isn't an Australian citizen I don't have as much sympathy for him. We can afford to err on the side of caution or "wrongful detention", and the onus should be on him to prove he is squeaky clean otherwise he can head back to where he came from. I've got no problem with them cancelling his visa, just don't try and put spin on it, be straight up and say in the current climate it's not worth taking a risk so see you later.

Anyway, everyone knows it's a political stunt and no doubt it'll make up for a couple of interest rate rises in the minds of his supporters.

The other thread was removed when I realised I might become yet another inncent victim of political expediency. ;)
I had hoped it was removed because, like the dog that had a piss - you were able to see the aura of your own wees :) :)

I was actually encouraged that there were one or two that could appreciate their vulnerability.

I grew up amongst all that kind of **** including our neighbour being blown up by terrorists when I was 6.

So please forgive me if I'm somewhat less sanguine about Australia's chances of escaping terrorism unscathed and somewhat perturbed by Howard making trifling issues (donation of a SIM card to a mate) a matter of National Security when there are far bigger fish to fry.

The point made by C&C about the potential costs (monetary, freedoms and inconvenience) associated with your 'clever' actions are valid. The fact is we have had virtually no terrorism acts here. Cases such as Jack Thomas, Bilal Khazal, Abdul Rahman and Willie Brigitte have been handled successfully. You could argue about how effective ASIO and the police forces are but the results are there for all to see. To possibly curtail the freedoms we currently enjoy through some form of personal curiosity is just stupid imo.

Would anyone here like this guy to treat them at a hospital if we were sick? He is probably related to Dr Patel.

Send him back to India with his family on a one way ticket before he is let loose in the hospital system and really kills people.

. The fact is we have had virtually no terrorism acts here. Cases such as Jack Thomas, Bilal Khazal, Abdul Rahman and Willie Brigitte have been handled successfully. You could argue about how effective ASIO and the police forces are but the results are there for all to see. To possibly curtail the freedoms we currently enjoy through some form of personal curiosity is just stupid imo.

Problem is, it is inevitable they will happen.

Would anyone here like this guy to treat them at a hospital if we were sick? He is probably related to Dr Patel.

Send him back to India with his family on a one way ticket before he is let loose in the hospital system and really kills people.
Tookey this is pretty offensive as the guy is rated an excellent Dr and the hospital is very happy with him. If he is guilty I am happy for action to be taken but to question his medical competency is verging on paranoia. Are you voting One Nation this election???

[quote author=tookey]

Tookey this is pretty offensive as the guy is rated an excellent Dr and the hospital is very happy with him. If he is guilty I am happy for action to be taken but to question his medical competency is verging on paranoia. Are you voting One Nation this election???
[/quote]

CW my comments were not racist about him being from India.

It is not about his competancy as his hospital has now cancelled his right to work for them again because he has been linked with the UK terrorists.

It is not about where he is a good a doctor or not it is about whether he is one of these religious fanatics who hate westeners. Who knows perhaps he may have been planning to kill patients at his hospital as the next terrorist strke?

Anyway just because QLD health department say that he is competant means nothing after the Dr Patel episode. If they had completed a simple google check on Dr Patel before hiring him a lot of patients would probably still be alive today as they would have know that he was in trouble in the US.

Patel was only caught after one nurse blew the whistle on him. If she hadn't he would probably atill be working in the same hospital now.

I can assure you that the Feds don't arrest someone unless they are pretty certain they he is associated with the guys in the UK.

He was on his way the airport to go to India when they arrested him. Co-incidence or was he leaving the country to dissapear into the masses in India becauyse he knew that he was going got be arrested?

Every country needs a zero tollerance towards anyone with any possible link to terrorism. Everyone will have a different attitude when we are eventually hit.

I only vote for one ntaion because Pauline is hot to trot. I love that redhair.

If it looks like a terrorist and smells like a terrorist then it should be treated like a ................

Indian doctor Mohamed Haneef will be treated "as a terrorist" while detained in a Queensland jail and subject to special conditions, including solitary confinement for 23 hours a day.

Haneef was this morning transferred from police custody to Wolston Correctional Centre, at Richlands in Brisbane's south-west, after failing to meet bail conditions set by Brisbane Magistrates Court on Monday.

The 27-year-old Gold Coast Hospital registrar is charged with supporting a terrorist organisation after giving a mobile phone SIM card to a relative later accused of being involved in plotting car bomb attacks in the UK.

Queensland Police and Corrective Services Minister Judy Spence today said the conditions of his detention included no contact with other inmates, meaning Haneef would be alone in a cell for all but one hour a day, when he is allowed to exercise.

Haneef would also face a different regime to that of other prisoners, she said.

"A terrorist prisoner is required to be held apart from the mainstream prison population, so he will be held in a segregated environment, when he moves around the prison he will be accompanied by two prison officers," she told reporters in Brisbane today.

"Anyone who is charged under terrorist legislation is obviously seen as a greater threat to the good order of our society than other type of prisoners."

In prison, Haneef will be managed as a terror prisoner under the Anti-Terrorism Act, and subject to conditions agreed on by the states.

The only other inmate to be treated as a terror prisoner in Queensland is John Howard Amundsen, who has been in custody since explosives embedded with nails were allegedly found at his home in Brisbane's north last May.

Ms Spence said a management plan would detail Haneef's daily activities.

He would have access to his lawyer, Peter Russo, the prison visitors' scheme, and its chief inspector, should he wish to complain about his conditions.

He would also have access to television, literature and radio, but not to a computer.

One of a number of Muslim prisoners in Wolston Correctional Centre, Haneef will also be allowed visits from an imam or Islamic leader, and access to prayer mats and halal meals.

Ms Spence defended the high security around Haneef's transfer in an armoured police van today.

"You have to appreciate he is being treated as a terrorist, that's the charges against him at this point in time, so it is appropriate that when he is moved from one place to another that he is heavily guarded," she said.

"Don't be so surprised about the heavy security surrounding this particular person, because it is a normal way of moving high profile and high security prisoners around the state."

There once was a shepherd boy who was bored as he sat on the hillside watching the village sheep. To amuse himself he took a great breath and sang out, "Wolf! Wolf! The Wolf is chasing the sheep!"

The villagers came running up the hill to help the boy drive the wolf away. But when they arrived at the top of the hill, they found no wolf. The boy laughed at the sight of their angry faces.

"Don't cry 'wolf', shepherd boy," said the villagers, "when there's no wolf!" They went grumbling back down the hill.

Later, the boy sang out again, "Wolf! Wolf! The wolf is chasing the sheep!" To his naughty delight, he watched the villagers run up the hill to help him drive the wolf away.

When the villagers saw no wolf they sternly said, "Save your frightened song for when there is really something wrong! Don't cry 'wolf' when there is NO wolf!"

But the boy just grinned and watched them go grumbling down the hill once more.

Later, he saw a REAL wolf prowling about his flock. Alarmed, he leaped to his feet and sang out as loudly as he could, "Wolf! Wolf!"

But the villagers thought he was trying to fool them again, and so they didn't come.

At sunset, everyone wondered why the shepherd boy hadn't returned to the village with their sheep. They went up the hill to find the boy. They found him weeping.

"There really was a wolf here! The flock has scattered! I cried out, "Wolf!" Why didn't you come?"

An old man tried to comfort the boy as they walked back to the village.

"We'll help you look for the lost sheep in the morning," he said, putting his arm around the youth, "Nobody believes a liar...even when he is telling the truth!"

What a great parable, why hasn't this been brought to our attention before.

I for one will never let a boy do a man's job again.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2