Guthenson tonight and beyond

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The problem any potential future fullback for Manly is stepping into the shoes of arguably the best fullback Manly have ever had.
There will be comparisons but in fairness Gutherson, he has potential, dont judge him on 1 dud game....

Pepi said:
Do we just forget the 3 or 4 great games he has played in first grade ?. His 20's performance for the blues mustn't count for anything either.

The thing is he played wing in 1sts with the next best halves and best backs in the game that got the ball out to him. George Rose could have scored those tries had he been given the ball. He has done well in his own age group and been lucky with selectors, but now against the big boys who are all getting bigger and running faster at you, defence, size and explosive speed is a must in the top game, he hasn't got this and it could be a problem for him down the track. I can see him playing AFL and being a top player with that.

Harry said:
Pepi said:
Do we just forget the 3 or 4 great games he has played in first grade ?. His 20's performance for the blues mustn't count for anything either.

The thing is he played wing in 1sts with the next best halves and best backs in the game that got the ball out to him. George Rose could have scored those tries had he been given the ball. He has done well in his own age group and been lucky with selectors, but now against the big boys who are all getting bigger and running faster at you, defence, size and explosive speed is a must in the top game, he hasn't got this and it could be a problem for him down the track. I can see him playing AFL and being a top player with that.

Lucky with selectors?? More inside info Harry??

What happened Harry did he steal your car? You are always promoting our juniors and saying the club doesn't support them and now your sinking the slipper in to the kid. He is not the first and won't be the last kid to have a bad game that doesn't make him a bad footballer. I'm not about to write of a junior and tell him to go to AFL.

Mavin said:
What happened Harry did he steal your car? You are always promoting our juniors and saying the club doesn't support them and now your sinking the slipper in to the kid. He is not the first and won't be the last kid to have a bad game that doesn't make him a bad footballer. I'm not about to write of a junior and tell him to go to AFL.
Mate, I am just giving my opinion. I have watched a lot of games including the Cup games but If Stewart left now, I would have Hiku as my fullback, my next fullback would be Tom T

Harry said:
Mavin said:
Mate, I am just giving my opinion. I have watched a lot of games including the Cup games but If Stewart left now, I would have Hiku as my fullback, my next fullback would be Tom T

That's fair enough I'm just not going to write him off after a junior game. He has shown enough for me to suggest he can play.I also respect the fact he has turned down many bigger offers to stay and that seems like a rarity these day's.

Harry said:
Mavin said:

Hiku Lol useless he is out of the centres

My understanding from reports I read was that Tom Trbojevic would be fast tracked to 1st grade next year. I assume Gutherson and Jake T will also be pushed to take on more responsibility as will Jamal Hopoate. Not sure where they will all fit but seems Tom T. is an outstanding full back, though he handles wing and centre well.

I've seen Gutherson play a little. He has flaws in his game as would be expected at his age. But he has outstanding skills which when developed will benefit Manly well. He'll bulk up and I suspect will end up in the centre because he has a good skill at setting up play. I think Tom T. will be full back, Gutherson and Hiku centres, a fit Taufua on one wing and maybe Blair on the other.

Forwards will be Buhrer, Ballin, Lawrence, Horo, Jake T., Symonds, Sene, Starling, and possibly J. Hopoate with Hodges as backup

Thats my thoughts anyway

Tom Turbo is the Brett Stewart replacement. I havent seen much in Gutherson to be the future no.1. Winger or centre will be where he plays. Maybe a Lyon style of centre with a bit of creativity.

The kid is only 19 and just starting out in the game and people are already righting him off.
Clubs wouldn't be throwing big coin at him if he couldn't play.
Seriously some people have got NFI.

Guthbo reminds me a bit of Lyon, looks slow but still manages to get around opposition players with ease at times, looks can be deceiving.

I see him as a potential centre if he fills out over the next few years with his good hands and smart mind he could play a lot like Lyon.

Would have no problem with him playing fullback either, All 3 junior fullbacks were going well at that 18 year old level, Tom T, Guthbo and Hiku and I think we would like to have all 3 in years to come.

the mauler said:
The kid is only 19 and just starting out in the game and people are already righting him off.
Clubs wouldn't be throwing big coin at him if he couldn't play.
Seriously some people have got NFI.

No one is doubting his ability settle down. Some people like myself can see Tom Turbo develop into a better player. He has better attributes. To me Gutherson is too slow to play full back. He hasnt got the size yet either. You need one or the other. He has creativity which is why i think he will be a good centre. We all could be wrong so no point questioning peoples knowledge because what you think may end up being bull**** too. Its just peoples opinions no need to get into hysterics.

I am assuming there has been a game that Gutherson has played in recently for all this talk to be occurring. I have no idea as I haven't seen it. But I will say this. I saw very little in his performances for us in the top grade that ever got me excited. All I thought was this kid needed to bulk up significantly to make it in the modern game. Snake is at the very low end of the "beefed up" spectrum but he has other skills.

Like I said, as a replacement for Snake I find it difficult to get excited. And yes, that haircut is ridiculous.

He had a pretty good first half in a game that was a nightmare for his style of play. The Aussie wingers and Kiwi back three dropped their fair share as well remember. He laid on a try to Val Holmes with a great cut-out ball and was given very little opportunity around the ruck as they weren't offloading in the wet weather.

I think you all are counting the goal kicking too much. It's completely separate. So he doesn't goal kick in first grade. That's fine. His 50m on the fly drop outs looked alright for a kid.

He's a better fullback that Hiku. Hiku is the Jamie Lyon style centre with 5/8 skills. It's one game that made both fullbacks look bad. I liked his constant screaming and organising of the troops. You can't underestimate how valuable that is in defence.

But according to some, he's a **** goal kicker and dropped a bomb in the wet so he isn't much of a footballer. Guess he got selected accidentally.

I must be Guthersons good luck charm as every time I see this guy play, he does well. Something always happens good for the team whether it be a Manly side or a representative side.

When I turned over, he threw a cut-out pass to Holmes to score. Well done, minutes later he saved a certain try with a great tackle to keep the junior kiwi held up in goal.

He has been in (possibly all) junior rep teams from a young age which speaks volumes of the kids talent.

I love him and feel he is our next fullback. Haven't seen as much of Trobjevic but will gladly move Gutherson to centre if he is better than him, which would be saying something.

Maybe his goal kicking can be improved but I am happy with his development so far. I wonder if he did kick that last goal if people would still be laying the boot in?

We should feel very lucky to have 2 great up and coming kids that want to stay with us even though clubs are trying to pinch them.

I'm really hoping snake stays and keeps nurturing these young guns.

the hard part is judging him playing at full back in first grade as we havent seen enough of him there. Hes looked good on the wing. Hes comfortably a first grade player. Just where is what i question. Tom Turbo is a massive talent. He has all the attributes and i remember seeing Brett Stewart at the same age and are very similar (Turbo is even bigger than Stewart was)

I just cant see Gutherson being the first grade full back if we keep both of them. Gutherson will have to move for Tom IMO but time will tell.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8