Gus Gould v Todd Greenberg

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
You can guarantee that Gus is pushing a personal agenda.

He is just as likely been one of the people whinging about the wrestle and the lack of policing of ruck rules. Now that the refs are taking steps to address it, he decides he'll whinge about the amount of penalties it is causing.

I fully support the drive to enforce the rules. Get teams on side. Get players getting to their feet to play the ball. Tidy up the play the balls and that by nature slows down the ruck a little and negates the wrestle. Get teams back 10m and that gives attacks a little more time and space. Coaches can quite easily stop the penalties by coaching their sides to play the rules. This has become a Mexican standoff between the refs and the coaches - let's see who blinks first. Gould is using his media profile to put pressure on Greenburg and the refs. As much as I hate Greenburg I support his push to tidy up the game and start enforcing these rules.
I think most agree that the basic rules of the game that have been twisted and turned in recent years need to be clamped down on.

My issue, as with most things this administration, is the way they go about it. It’s one thing for them to state the bleeding obvious and say we need to fix it, it’s another thing entirely to come up with the right way to achieve it.

1 Why do we get teams in every game getting 5 , 6, 7 penalties in a row then as sure as night follows day the other team gets the same run of penalties. The indisciplined team becomes perfect and the perfect team becomes a rabble in 10 minutes. It is absolute garbage.

2 Why do the run of penalties come almost always in the red zone? The rest of the field it seems is inhabited by perfect footballers plying their craft honestly and fairly. And they are so f... img stupid they don’t realise that the hardest place to attack is close to the line and teams couldn’t give a toss about conceding. It took them 8 rounds to work this out and use the bin and now it’s a goddamn mess with no one knowing how many / where on field will result in a sin bin.
If they had just binned players after two or 3 deliberate penalties in Round 1 wherever they were on the field this rubbish wouldn’t be happening. And keep doing it! Not just look to find a way to square it up later. Teams are just taking the odds to it at the moment that if we lose one to the bin it will happen to the other mob when they get their run so the clowns can say they are evenhanded. How many penalty square ups do we see? Do they think we are all imbeciles.

3 When did the knock on rule change to include knock backs. Do they have their eyes painted on? They adjudicate ( badly ) on forward passes but if you drop the ball in any direction play stops.It is so entrenched now that the commentators just say that it’s a knock on regardless. In essence we have created a new beast “ the Rugby League knock on “ which is a 360 degree animal designed to slow down a game already stopping every 2 minutes for something else. It is an absolute joke.Any attempt to fix this ? NO

4 And now ,even while they issue 30 penalties , they STILL manage to coach the players and respectfully address them by their nick names.Any change here NO

5 Attacking players walk two metres forward trampling the marker and what happens ? Go back and play it ffs. The defenders hand gets anywhere near the ball and they whistle so f..ing hard you can’t hear yourself think. Half the play the balls are like this !So of course the attacking team walks off the mark all the time because THERE IS NO CONSEQUENCE!! Easy fix , penalise the attacking side. But NO we can’t becausr some moron thought it was a good idea a few years back.

These are just a few .The list is endless. A simple , tough , uncompromising game has become a farce.

So they pretend to clean up the game by concentrating on where blokes feet are in red zone defence and virtually nothing else other than foot touching ball, make the game like Union with each passing moment as fatigue ceases to become an issue due to the penaltyathon and generally confuse everyone with this ridiculous obstruction rubbish and expect to receive a medal for their new found zeal in enforcing the rules.

Our game is enforced by morons , run by fools and commentated on in most part by lowest common denominator idiots.

It’s a shambles and their ham fisted crackdown ain’t fooling anyone.

Last edited:
Had to get it off my chest . My Mrs is seriously thinking that the next “Rugby League knock on” will result in cardiac arrest.

It started 20 years ago when the ear-ringed, man-bunned, metro sexual, inner city living, Art degreed hipster in the marketing department did a survey (mainly to non Rugby League fans) and came back with the mantras ...

A fast game is a good game ,,,, and a close game is an exciting game ....

Since that day every decision by the fools that run the game has been a kneejerk reaction and kneejerk over- correction followed by another kneejerk correction back again .has been made to artificially bring about those results ....

However It wasn't until GreenTurd came up with the idea to simply make the Referees a part of the marketing dep't did total idiocy have the shackles removed ...

The marketing dep't runs the game .... they keep trying to broaden the audience by asking those that don't watch the game what they like .... and they have no fukken idea .....

3 When did the knock on rule change to include knock backs. Do they have their eyes painted on? They adjudicate ( badly ) on forward passes but if you drop them ball in any direction play stops.It is so entrenched now that the commentators just say that it’s a knock on regardless. In essence we have created a new beast “ the Rugby League knock on “ which is a 360 degree animal designed to slow down a game already stopping every 2 minutes for something else. It is an absolute joke.

5 Attacking players walk two metres forward trampling the marker and what happens ? Go back and play it ffs. The defenders hand gets anywhere near the ball and they whistle so f..ing hard you can’t hear yourself think. Half the play the balls are like this !So of course the attacking team walks off the mark all the time because THERE IS NO CONSEQUENCE!!

Mate couldn't agree more. The knock on rule is a joke - it's touch footy now, ball hits the deck and it's a turn over. I cannot fathom how they don't get the bit about "propelling the ball TOWARDS the opponents goal line" - that's the definition of a knock on.

Occasionally you'll see them blow up a play the ball and tell the attacker to go back and play it on the mark. I wish they would do that more. Give them say 3 warnings where they get to go back to the mark and play it, after that it's a penalty. Greg Inglis hasn't played a ball on the mark for his whole NRL career. It also used to be a rule that the attacker couldn't interfere with the marker either, they forget about that as well.

I have to laugh at how long it has taken the fools to cotton onto this dummy half passing the ball into the tackler laying in the ruck. It's always been deliberate yet they fall for it hook line and sinker to the point where it becomes comical and to save face they have to "change the rule". It doesn't need a rule change it just needs some common bloody sense. If the dummy half deliberately passes the ball into a defender laying on the ground then it's play on in my book, always has been.

You have also got to laugh at how they get so caught up in their own world that they rewrite the rules of the game. Name me one person who has ever had anything to do with rugby league that thought Billy Slater drop kicked that ball through to score off ?? The subset of people who thought that this was anything other than a knock on were all employed as NRL referees. Also the try they disallowed to the Storm because they had to go back and give them a penalty for an infringement in the ruck that preceded them scoring the try. Like WTF !!!

I want to support the refs but god they make it hard when they are so stupid.

Yep C and C. I’m just like you and all my footy mates agree. We want our game back. We want rules that are 100 years old enforced in black and white with no reference to square ups.I have no problem with a lopsided count as long as the rules are applied without fear or favour.
It’s such a simple game. Run hard, tackle ( not wrestle) hard and wear your opposition down so fatigue plays its part.

I’m not sure what the game is now. If it wasnt for my beloved eagles I could see myself slipping away from the game entirely.

You can guarantee that Gus is pushing a personal agenda.

He is just as likely been one of the people whinging about the wrestle and the lack of policing of ruck rules. Now that the refs are taking steps to address it, he decides he'll whinge about the amount of penalties it is causing.

I fully support the drive to enforce the rules. Get teams on side. Get players getting to their feet to play the ball. Tidy up the play the balls and that by nature slows down the ruck a little and negates the wrestle. Get teams back 10m and that gives attacks a little more time and space. Coaches can quite easily stop the penalties by coaching their sides to play the rules. This has become a Mexican standoff between the refs and the coaches - let's see who blinks first. Gould is using his media profile to put pressure on Greenburg and the refs. As much as I hate Greenburg I support his push to tidy up the game and start enforcing these rules.
The problem is inconsistency. I watched the Sharks/Dogs game last weekend, and lost count of the amount of times players didn’t play the ball properly. Then, just as I’m thinking that the refs are no longer policing it, and right when the Dogs were deep in attack and starting to get on top in the game, Woods is penalised for an incorrect play the ball. In the next set of six, Cronulla score and its game over. Me, I hate that much more so than if they didn’t penalise the infringement at all.

Last edited:
Yep, it sure is hard to watch a game these days without getting frustrated at the officials. And while we're/I'm ranting, other than different colours on the jumpers, I defy anyone to distinguish one team from another in terms of style of play. It's like a script each and every game. 16 teams. Same plays, same penalties given away at the same points on the field.

I also want to throw in how much time is wasted by all teams. I'd love someone to put a stop watch on how many minutes are lost through the following.

1) Penalties. It's the let’s all stand around, have a chat, have a drink, then take a kick for touch party. 2) Post try scoring. 2000 hand slaps, goal kicker prepares as if he's solving world hunger. It goes on forever. If there's 2 min left you can bet by the time he kick's, there's about 10sec left. Oddly, most seem to be able to do it quick smart when they're behind on the scoreboard Go figure. The 30sec "breaks" at scrums and dropouts. What a farce. I watched one game last round....maybe Souths game, not sure. Anyway, scrum goes down.....eventually. First tackle the ball is dropped. A scrum is ruled. FMD but the ritual starts again. After they just had their little siesta. I would hazard a guess that up to 15min or more is "lost" each and every game, due the players being allowed to dictate and determine when THEY are ready to play!!

I have always loved Gus' knowledge and feel for the game. And it's about time someone of note stuck it to Greenberg.
I'd have Gus as NRL boss in a heartbeat. And I'd make sure he takes Brandy with him to HQ to eventually take on the role himself.
.... and Tooves

The NRL went the wrong way years ago with how they structured refereeing.

Firstly having two refs on the field is unnecessary, even counter productive, because as we all know refs have different interpretations in how the rules should be enforced. This becomes confusing to the players and the audience. One ref is all that is needed as long as you change a few areas to create a simpler model

The Linesmen are there to support to ref. But most of the time they stand there like overgrown ballboys, such is the responsibility they have.

So simple is best. Have the refs and the linesmen with clearly defined responibilities. The ref should be responsible for the ball and all that happens around it. That is where his or her focus should remain throughout the game. He shouldnt be determining offsided play ten metres away, or across the field because he does not have 360 degree vision. Stick with the ball. The linesmen on the other hand have a clear view of everything across the field and have the advantage of being able to line up with the fellow linesman on the opposite side of the field. They are therefore in a position to determine offside play, and the players are able to determine the line across the field between these two officials. Further, they are in the best postition to adjudge behind the play incidents. They can be in communication with each other to agree on action to be taken. It is then their responsibility to inform the ref over radio regarding a breach of the rules.

As I say, keep it simple. The ref handles the ball, the linesmen behind the field play and offside. All are therefore more likely to achieve a more accurate outcome to on field incidents.without having to follow all aspects of the game at the same time.

Can't the club chiefs sack or effectively terminate Greenturd via like a no confidence kind of motion?

Well at least pretend you have a pair and call them flat whites ....

I regret nothing....nothing!!!!!

Actually...I regret that a lot of coffee places don't understand what a flat white is. Luckily I have trained 'my local' and even get a 'I'll give you a discount if you stop hassling me"...discount

I regret nothing....nothing!!!!!

Actually...I regret that a lot of coffee places don't understand what a flat white is. Luckily I have trained 'my local' and even get a 'I'll give you a discount if you stop hassling me"...discount

I want to see a coffee shop run by the soup nazi .... you want a caramel double shot soy mocca .... NO COFFEE FOR YOU!!!!

I've said it before and will say it again. Gus knows his $hit when it comes to NRL and rugby league in general. In terms of people currently directly involved in this competition, he's probably forgotten more than most will ever know themselves. If only he wouldn't get like a broken record needle and stick on the same point over and over and over like he tends to do.

I agree he would make a much better NRL boss than Greenturd ever will. Problem is that he's smart enough not to want that job.

This is one thing I actually find funny about all of these penalties and sin-bins so far this year. For the past few years almost everyone has been screaming for the referees to actually do their jobs and penalise players for things like wrestle, not playing the ball correctly, offside, forward passes etc etc as well as actually using the sin-bin for what its there for. Yet now that they are actually doing just that, everyone is screaming that the refs are killing the games because of it.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. Who'd be a referee?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
9 7 2 72 16
8 7 1 56 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10
9 4 5 -16 8