Greg Bird charged

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Dan link said:
[quote author=tookey link=topic=178251.msg194488#msg194488 date=1219625458]
If he was innocent then why was bail refused and he spent the night behind bars?

If he wasn't in the unit as he states then he will already have started legal action against the police for wrongful arrest.    

Greg Bird charged with violent attack
Paul Bibby and Andrew Webster | August 25, 2008 - 9:35AM

Australian representative rugby league player Greg Bird is expected to appear in Sutherland Local Court today over an incident in which a woman was allegedly hit in the face with a glass, suffering a fractured eye socket and severe lascerations.

Police said last night the woman - believed to be Bird's American girlfriend, Katie Milligan, 24 - was allegedly hit during an argument at about 7.30am yesterday at a unit block on Boorima Place, where Bird's waterfront unit is located.

Bird has been charged with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

He was refused bail and will face Sutherland Local Court today.

Yesterday Bird and his rugby league club, Cronulla admitted an incident had occurred at his unit, but denied he had been there at the time.

\"Following initial enquiries, the club understands that an argument between two guests at Greg Bird's Cronulla unit has resulted in an injury to a friend,\" the club said in a statement.

Bird denied any involvement when contacted yesterday afternoon. \"Nah mate, nothing going on at all,\" he told the Herald. \"I haven't been at home all day. Enjoy your Sunday...\"

The 24-year-old woman remains in Prince of Wales hospital where she will undergo surgery today.

Bird has also been issued a court attendance notice for common assault relating to an alleged incident involving a woman at a nightclub on Cronulla Street in Cronulla on January 19 this year.

The charges follows two unsavoury incidents involving Bird during the course of this season. Last weekend, he was involved in an altercation with a former cagefighter who had just assaulted his former team mate Nick Youngquest.

The playmaker was also briefly placed under arrest outside a nightclub in Brisbane's West End following the NSW State of Origin team's loss to Queensland on June 11.

Tookey, why?

Because being charged with a crime does not make you guilty of a crime. For liability reasons we need to say he has been charged and not slander the guy whilst he has not been found guilty by a jury!

[/quote]

Dan.

Sure he hasn't been found guilty yet but these days they only refuse bail and keep someone locked up overnight for the most serious of charges.  

If Bird had really not even been in the unit when the assault happened as he claims then why would the cops charge him and locked him up overnight?   The cops these days need to be pretty sure of their facts before they lock someone up because of the possibility of being sued.

Time will tell with Bird.  If he is guilty then his career in the NRL must surely be over based on carney and that sharks hooker who hits the girl in the nose last year and had his contract cancelled.

Tookey,

All I am saying is that it is very very easy to shut down fan forums these days, and the main reasons they get booted are because of

1 - Libel/defamation
2 - Major Copyright infringement

Kind of need to er on the safe side for my sake, the sites sake and your sake

Dan 

Tookey has a history of jumping to conclusions, like he wrongly believes Manly were responsible for the death of the Bears & that lush linda was a virgin...............

This is obviously secondary compared to a poor girl getting serious facial damage, but i think the Sharks should stand him down for the rest of the year regardless.  Even if the case is dropped and all that, The fact that it's gotten this far should be enough.  The game's been tarnished again and as a fan, i don't want to see someone awaiting trial for a serious offence playing regardless of who the player and team are and their position in the comp.  Like the rest of you i'm sure, i despise anyone who resorts to using a g****mn glass to hurt someone.  Such a cowardly act.

Sharks set to stand down Bird

By Steve Gee and Sydney Confidential's Holly Byrnes | August 25, 2008 01:46pm

CRONULLA Sharks star Greg Bird is expected to be stood down by the NRL club today after being released on bail for allegedly glassing his girlfriend. The Sharks have called a press conference for 2.30pm to discuss the matter. The club has previously taken a hardline stance with wayward players, sacking Tevita Latu after he was convicted of breaking teenager Brooke Peninton's nose outside a Cronulla service station last July.
Bird faced Sutherland Local Court today charged with two counts of assault following a violent argument with his live-in girlfriend Katie Milligan at his beachfront Cronulla home early Sunday.
One of the charges refers to alleged attack on Ms Milligan.
The other assault charge refers to an incident in January on another woman.
Ms Milligan, 24, a US citizen, was to undergo surgery at Prince of Wales Hospital for a fractured eye socket and lacerated eye following the alleged assault.
Bird was placed on strict conditional bail prohibiting him from contacting or approaching the Ms Milligan and another witness, Greg Watson.
Police prosecutor Sergeant Matt Zalunardo opposed bail due to the "high degree of violence" involved in the assault.
Sgt Zalundardo said the offence carried a maximum penalty of 25 years in prison.
He added Bird had actively attempted to deceive police during investigations into the attack.
The court was told Bird allegedly sent a text message to Mr Watson warning him from speaking to police.
"My manager is helping sort this s*** out", Bird said in a text message.
According to a statement of facts, neighbours told police they were awoken inside the Boorima Place Apartment block by a loud thud about 7.30am before hearing the sound of a male voice arguing with a woman.
One witness told police Bird allegedly screamed "Stop being a f*****' idiot".
Ms Milligan also allegedly screamed at Bird: "Why did you do this to me?", as the pair left the unit.
The court was told that when Bird replied "I didn't do it'', she responded: "Yes, you did''.
Bird then drove Ms Milligan to Sutherland Hospital where she was treated for an eye injury before being transferred to Prince of Wales Hospital.
Ms Milligan had been dating Bird for nine months long distance before moving to Australia eight weeks ago to step up the relationship with the league pivot.

Ms Milligan, from Florida, is understood to have met Bird during an off season holiday in Las Vegas, staying in touch with the NSW State of Origin five-eighth over email and telephone.
Milligan was due to begin studying a law degree before the attack occurred.
Do you know Katie Milligan? Tell us in confidence by calling our newsdesk on 02 9288 3413.
Magistrate Beverley Schurr ordered a brief of evidence be served on October 7 and granted Bird bail.
The matter has been adjourned to the Downing Centre on October 8 - two days after the NRL Grand Final.

Bird was allowed free on bail as he is not considered to be a risk of doing a runner. He is accused of doing the injuries but also of false claims of not being present when the assault happened.

Hehas been told to have no contact with the woman until the court hearing on October 19. The victim is in hospital with shards of glass in her eye and a broken eye socket. She is having surgery this afternoon.

My guess is that Bird has to step down until this matter is settled.

i feel bad for the poor girl and believe it or not, the Sharks as well. This could be the end of their season

I am with you in all of this Dan

The Sharks have set themselves a precedent with the Latu case so, if guilty, the scumbag must go

My best mate is a Sharks fan and although i want to put **** on him about it, i might leave it a while :D

Bird stood down by Sharks

August 25, 2008 CRONULLA five-eighth Greg Bird has been stood down indefinitely by the Sharks pending further investigation of an alleged assault at his apartment.

Sharks chief executive Tony Zappia said it was highly unlikely Bird would play again this season with the international pivot due in court on October 7.

The Sharks are scum and always have been.  They attempted to bash their way to a premiership over us in the seventies and have been on the low side of the ledger ever since.  How any self respecting female would want to go out with any of them is beside me.  If Gallop doesn't deregister this grub he's the gutless prick I've always thought he is.  And while he's at it he could get rid of Stuart as well.  Always an animal. 

Dan link said:
Tookey,

All I am saying is that it is very very easy to shut down fan forums these days, and the main reasons they get booted are because of

1 - Libel/defamation
2 - Major Copyright infringement

Kind of need to er on the safe side for my sake, the sites sake and your sake

Dan 

No worries. 

The Wheel link said:
Tookey has a history of jumping to conclusions, like he wrongly believes Manly were responsible for the death of the Bears & that lush linda was a virgin...............

And I initially thought that R Richards was straight too. 

And Lush told me that you gave her plenty of facials.   

CRONULLA star Greg Bird telephoned a friend and asked him how he felt about taking the blame for him, after he allegedly glassed his girlfriend in the face during an argument.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24237719-5001021,00.html

I'd say if Carney went to Cronulla, it'd be the end of him.  They're a club full of scumbags, coached by one of the biggest.  Watch closely when Gallen gets up of a tackle, always the hand on face massaging and niggling.  Total grub. 

Interestingly enough I was thinking the other day that the Roosters have been a lot less niggly since Stuart left them, and the Sharks are a lot more so. Not that these things are the same, but you start a culture of not taking any notice of the laws and being a bunch of mugs you get the full results of that culture.

As for the Sharks who cares, it's the woman laying in hospital that may lose her eye sight in one eye. I feel sorry for her and her family and friends for what they all must go through as a result of this now.

Will be interested to see Matthew Johns' reaction on the Footy Show as he loves Greg Bird and blows a load over him whenever he gets a chance. Let's see how great he thinks he is now.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8