Greatest Ever Team

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The Who said:
I never saw Wally play, but I saw Fulton from the first game and I'd play Fulton at 5/8 and bring in Lyon in the centres.
I agree that as great as BK was, he didn't play long enough for Manly, so I'd have Choc there instead.

And I'm flabbergasted that Rex Mossop isn't there. He was a legend!

yeah, Rex Mossop in, Roy Bull out, of Masked Eagle's team.

Tom Mooney in, Ray Branigan out. Ray couldn't tackle, unreliable goal kicker, and just wasn't fast enough for too many years, and had the benefit of playing right along side Bozo. 'Right side' 'left side' was not prominent in those days. Re Tom Mooney, u check the stats. That guy was solid and continual. Re Fullback, Eadie plays the first half. and Snake plays the 2nd. These too cannot be separated.

Interesting to see all of you older generation that have seen them all play, have all left John O'Neill out of your sides ?

He is talked about as the top line front rower from the 70s, so what is the reasoning behind that ommission ?

Not arguing with you at all, I have no place too, but just find it interesting to read the opinions of all those who saw the 70s players week to week

Kiwi Eagle said:
Interesting to see all of you older generation that have seen them all play, have all left John O'Neill out of your sides ?

He is talked about as the top line front rower from the 70s, so what is the reasoning behind that ommission ?

Not arguing with you at all, I have no place too, but just find it interesting to read the opinions of all those who saw the 70s players week to week

Known as 'Lurch', O'Neill is more associated with Souths. He had some great years at Manly, but he's probably in Souths' team of the century.

Eagle Eyed Cherry said:
Lets face it, as much as Vautin loved the club & captained us to a premiership, he was no more than an honest toiler. I'd have Choc, Glenn Stewart and Nic Kosef in ahead of him.

He was much better than a honest toiler. He did the tackling of two men. All the players you mentioned are fantastic. Really hard to split them.

Kiwi Eagle said:
O'Neil IS IN Masked Eagle's team No 10 jersey.

north coast eagle said:
Des was OK but would you necessarily have him on the bench in front of Mayes, Gibbs, Jones, Chisolm, Martin, Thompson etc???

Mayes, Gibbs, Blake, Chisolm and Junee shone for a couple of years (in Chisolm's case it was a couple of games) so Des has longevity over them.
Thompson was a 5/8 and a great one.
Which Jones do you mean? Certainly Freddie was a little slow for a half, but was a terrific dummy half.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
O'Neil IS IN Masked Eagle's team No 10 jersey.

Yeah that is the official one, in the other sides mentioned he isn't there though so was just wondering why. Just realized you'd have him in yours though

Kiwi Eagle said:

As The Who said, O'Neill was at his best for South Sydney and although he played very well for Manly and was in two premiership teams with Manly I don't think his heart was quite with us. I always thought Brannigan was overrated. The front row could easily have included Kite or Kevin Ward.

I suppose it would differ from generation to generation for example i was to young to remember the tail end of the 70s (I mean decade) team, the 80s team won more games than both the Dogs and Eels who were named the teams of the 80s just not the Premierships (but to young to fully appreciate them).
Now the mid nineties as a teenager(13,14) use to run around thinking I was Nik Kosef unfortunately at that stage of my life didn't have the weight(97kgs) I do now. It's great to see so many people admired Nik as much as I did!
A little older and have seen the resurrection of this proud club back to where it belongs winning Premierships!

I'd just love to see Fulton and Lyon in the centres at one time. Two definite game winners.

Brent Kite was our best prop in both the 08 and 11 grand finals as well as an origin and test player. He's not out of place in this team maybe not so much on current form but he has been a rock for us since coming over.

mickqld said:
Brent Kite was our best prop in both the 08 and 11 grand finals as well as an origin and test player. He's not out of place in this team maybe not so much on current form but he has been a rock for us since coming over.

I'd have Spud.

eagles2win said:
mickqld said:

I'd have Spud.

I think Spud was a tad overrated and not in the same class as Kite. Lets not forget Spud played in an era which included unlimited interchange and when that was changed he had more blood cuts than anyone in the game. Spud was just a focal point for our toughness as a pack and his battles with the Chief but part of me blames him just a little for the Albert try in 97! ;)

Masked Eagle said:
eagles2win said:
mickqld said:

I'd have Spud.

I think Spud was a tad overrated and not in the same class as Kite. Lets not forget Spud played in an era which included unlimited interchange and when that was changed he had more blood cuts than anyone in the game. Spud was just a focal point for our toughness as a pack and his battles with the Chief but part of me blames him just a little for the Albert try in 97! ;)

Never f@&king mention that "try" again! Never.

What about the contribution of a guy like Alan Thompson? Great player and a great clubman, only to be sold down the (coaching) river in 1989, when the Board were looking for Lowe to replace him almost before a ball was kicked. I think he had the potential to be one of our greatest coaches, as well as one of our greatest players.

No way would I drop Branighan out just yet. Three GF wins with Manly and he only missed out on a fourth because of injury. Lyon is definitely in front of Snoz, who was a great player, but Lyon's achievements with Manly now eclipse Snoz's by some distance.

Masked Eagle said:
eagles2win said:
mickqld said:

I'd have Spud.

A typical Manly forward - physical, tough and uncompromising.
Shouldn't have been put in that position to 'lose the game for us' if we defended better prior to that try we would have won

I'm a bit meh with Kite, produces for the GF's but for the garden variety games isn't there.
Stats wise all props are going to be measured up against Paul Gallen and if I was in the same shoes guess what I would be aiming for like a pitbull trying to get to a steak tied up at 6 foot.

Wally O'Connell is a Manly Champion.
Having been admitted to the Sydney top-grade competition in 1947 the young Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles in 1949 had suffered three lean seasons and set about to secure the services of O'Connell, then regarded as one of the stars of the Australian game. The Manly committee secured O'Connell with a 350 pound offer but his registration for the 1950 season was thwarted when Eastern Suburbs blocked the transfer on residential grounds. The Easts committee were dissatisfied with residential evidence O'Connell was able to table for himself and sought proof that O'Connell's wife had also already made the move to Manly. O'Connell was unable to provide this on-the-spot at the meeting, the transfer was blocked and on principle he chose to sit out the 1950 season thereby also jeopardizing his representative career.

O'Connell played two seasons with Manly as captain-coach' leading them to 2nd place on the 1951 competition ladder and to the club's first Grand final appearance. He was unable to play in that match due to a fractured bone in his wrist, so was forced to watch from the sideline as his team lost to Souths by a record grand final margin.

1. Eadie
2. Irvine
3. Lyon
4. Fulton
5. O'Connor
6. O' Connell
7. Toovey
8. Bull
9. Krilich
10. Randall
11. Menzies
12. G. Stewart
13. Reilly

14. Lyons
15. Bull
16. O'Neill
17. B. Stewart

Coach. Stanton
Manager. Arthurson

Team Of The Century - Ken Irvine (Wing), Bob Fulton (Reserve)

100 Greatest Players - Kerry Boustead, Roy Bull, Graham Eadie, Bob Fulton, Ken Irvine, John O'Neill

Indigenous Team Of The Century - Dale Shearer (Wing), Cliff Lyons (Lock)

Secondary Schools Centenary Team - Steve Menzies (2nd Row), Les Boyd (Front Row)

Men Of League - Centenary Of Club Greats - Bob Fulton, Cliff Lyons, Steve Menzies, Malcolm "Mal" Reilly and Graham Eadie

NSWRL Team Of The Century Ken Irvine (Wing), Bob Fulton (5/8), Roy Bull (Reserve)

Snoz is a definate, he would even make the greatest ever NSW side for mine - an absolute legend.

1. Graham Eadie 1971-83 (237 games)
2. Ken Irvine 1971-73 (60 games)
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Michael O'Connor 1987-82 (115 games)
5. Ray Branighan 1972-78 (114 games)
6. Bob Fulton
7. Geoff Toovey 1988-2001 (286 games)
8. Roy Bull 1947-59 (177 games)
9. Max Krilich 1970-83 (215 games)
10. John O'Neill 1972-74 (51 games)
11. Steven Menzies 1993-2006 (302 games)
12. Terry Randall 1970-82 (208 games)
13. Malcolm Reilly 1971-75 (89 games)

Bench:
14. Brett Stewart
15. Ben Kennedy 2005-06 (37 games)
16. Cliff Lyons 1986-99 (309 games)
17. Paul Vautin 1979-89 (204 games)

Only a few minor changes, and in time i think Gift or Choc will take Fatty's place

Rambo1987 said:
Wally O'Connell is a Manly Champion.
Having been admitted to the Sydney top-grade competition in 1947 the young Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles in 1949 had suffered three lean seasons and set about to secure the services of O'Connell, then regarded as one of the stars of the Australian game. The Manly committee secured O'Connell with a 350 pound offer but his registration for the 1950 season was thwarted when Eastern Suburbs blocked the transfer on residential grounds. The Easts committee were dissatisfied with residential evidence O'Connell was able to table for himself and sought proof that O'Connell's wife had also already made the move to Manly. O'Connell was unable to provide this on-the-spot at the meeting, the transfer was blocked and on principle he chose to sit out the 1950 season thereby also jeopardizing his representative career.

O'Connell played two seasons with Manly as captain-coach' leading them to 2nd place on the 1951 competition ladder and to the club's first Grand final appearance. He was unable to play in that match due to a fractured bone in his wrist, so was forced to watch from the sideline as his team lost to Souths by a record grand final margin.

1. Eadie
2. Irvine
3. Lyon
4. Fulton
5. O'Connor
6. O' Connell
7. Toovey
8. Bull
9. Krilich
10. Randall
11. Menzies
12. G. Stewart
13. Reilly

14. Lyons
15. Bull
16. O'Neill
17. B. Stewart

Coach. Stanton
Manager. Arthurson

Team Of The Century - Ken Irvine (Wing), Bob Fulton (Reserve)

100 Greatest Players - Kerry Boustead, Roy Bull, Graham Eadie, Bob Fulton, Ken Irvine, John O'Neill

Indigenous Team Of The Century - Dale Shearer (Wing), Cliff Lyons (Lock)

Secondary Schools Centenary Team - Steve Menzies (2nd Row), Les Boyd (Front Row)

Men Of League - Centenary Of Club Greats - Bob Fulton, Cliff Lyons, Steve Menzies, Malcolm "Mal" Reilly and Graham Eadie

NSWRL Team Of The Century Ken Irvine (Wing), Bob Fulton (5/8), Roy Bull (Reserve)

Not denying Wally was a very good player and an important person in our history but this is our greatest ever team and your deeds on the field should stack up against players of every generation. Unfortunatley for Wally and BK, but IMO both less than 40 games and not winning a premiership their achievements fall short against the other great players who have played for this club.

Rambo I heard Roy Bull was good, but I didn't know we cloned him. Might want to find another benchie.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7