Great article - big 3 ain’t the problem

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

RedEagle

Johns: Why it’s unfair to blame Des for Manly’s troubles
1616046837251.png

No Cookies | Daily Telegraph

The money paid to playets is really irrelevant tbh. There are 30 players and its performance only that counts. How much they are paid is a completely seperate issue.

Matty Johns: Time for Manly’s big guns to lead the way​

Manly might not have planned to follow Melbourne’s ‘Big Three’ model but the Sea Eagles’ struggles last season and in round one prove it’s not a suitable path for every club, writes Matty Johns.

Matty Johns

4 min read
March 18, 2021 - 2:48PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

1 comments

You're watching​

Roosters roll luckless Manly

Related content
UP NEXT

NRL: The Sydney Roosters ran up the score against a poor Manly Sea Eagles side in their round 1 matchup.

Blaming Des Hasler for Manly’s poor 2020 season and last week’s round one flogging by the Roosters is unfair.
Des inherited a problem a couple of years back which puts the Sea Eagles’ season constantly on a knife’s edge. When the Melbourne Storm put the pieces of their football team back together again after the 2010 salary cap scandal, they went with a new model.
Rather than spread the money across the squad of players with about six or seven slightly higher wage spikes, they went with the ‘Big Three’ model. A massive slice of the salary cap went to Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk, and around those three stars would be hardworking blue-collar footballers and talented youngsters with potential.
Watch The 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership Live & On-Demand with No Ad-Breaks During Play. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
Des Hasler inherited a tricky salary cap situation at Manly. Picture: Getty Images

Des Hasler inherited a tricky salary cap situation at Manly. Picture: Getty Images
Many thought it was crazy, far too risky to have success hinge on so few, and not enough
quality and experience around them to succeed.
They were wrong, it worked, in fact it worked brilliantly.
As is the way in the NRL, other clubs followed suit, but very few have had anywhere near the same success because they don’t understand the intricacies of what makes it work.
Firstly, it’s the players around the stars. You often hear Melbourne coaches and officials refer
to their recruitment as looking for a ‘Storm footballer’.
A ‘Storm footballer’ has no reference to talent, it’s in reference to human qualities.

They recruit smart, tough, disciplined men who have the desire to be better. The ‘stars’ are
surrounded by footballers with these qualities.
The other crucial element of this model is that if one of the ‘Big Three’ are missing, the other
two can adjust and absorb their absence.
For instance, if the Roosters lost James Tedesco for the season, players like Luke Keary would still, at the very least get them to the finals, possibly top four. The same if Melbourne lost Cameron Munster.
But for Manly that’s anything but the case.
Manly skipper Daly Cherry-Evans is the highest-paid player in the NRL. Picture: Getty Images

Manly skipper Daly Cherry-Evans is the highest-paid player in the NRL. Picture: Getty Images
I don’t think any other club gives more of their salary cap to their main stars. That very much
centres around the ‘lifetime contract’ halfback Daly Cherry-Evans signed several seasons back which makes him the highest paid player in the game. Cap-wise the DCE contract makes assembling a balanced squad a real challenge for Hasler.
But on top of that, the rise and rise of Tom and Jake Trbojevic means Manly has had to increase their wages considerably or face the very real threat of losing them, something that would be catastrophic for the club given their talents and popularity among Sea Eagles fans.
Manly are extremely lucky Jake and Tom are local boys whose loyalty to the club meant they
didn’t throw themselves on the open market which would have no doubt forced the Sea Eagles to pay considerably more and be in huge salary cap trouble.
I don’t know if Manly consciously went for the ‘Big Three’ model or due to circumstance
they have just arrived at it. I suspect it’s the latter.
Given how much cap is given to Manly’s ‘Big Three,’ the Sea Eagles have done very well to
assemble the roster they have. But being able to cope with the absence of one of the ‘Big Three’ is the issue. More to the point, the bloke at fullback.
Jake and Tom Trbojevic are vital members of the Manly squad. Picture: Brett Costello

Jake and Tom Trbojevic are vital members of the Manly squad. Picture: Brett Costello
In the last two seasons Manly’s win/loss rate, around Tom Trbojevic is frightening.
There’s no such thing as a one-man team, but boy this is starting to look like a good
impersonation.
When Tom plays, Manly win 74 per cent of their matches, when he’s missing it’s 30 per cent.
People are looking to Hasler to fix this problem but that’s taking the attention and the
pressure off the players whose real job it is.
The Manly, ‘with and without Tom’ win percentage is something which is being raised more
and more frequently, and it must cut DCE to the bone, given his standing in the game, the
responsibility which comes with his position and the responsibility which comes with being
captain.
Cherry-Evans was not the reason Manly got flogged last Saturday by the Roosters, but he must be the reason why they will turn that performance around against South Sydney at Brookvale Oval on Saturday.
And he has to be the reason why Manly start winning without the big, tall fullback.
Manly’s success or failure cannot hinge on Tom’s hamstrings.
Manly’s win percentage without Tom Trbojevic is 30 per cent. Picture: Getty Images

Manly’s win percentage without Tom Trbojevic is 30 per cent. Picture: Getty Images
You don’t look to the highest paid players in the team to get you through these kind of
predicaments just because they’re the highest paid players. You look to the highest paid
players because they are your best and most important ones.
I’m expecting huge improvement in Manly on Saturday but to actually win they need DCE at his very, very best. And that means constantly challenging the Souths middle defence, not
just pushing the ball sideways.
A player like Tom is a luxury for a playmaker, you throw him the ball and things just happen.
But Saturday night it’s DCE who needs to be the trigger, he needs to play with upfield thrust looking to penetrate the defence, not skim across it.
Likewise, Jake Trbojevic needs one of his special games and not just by inspiring with his
trademark passion.
Jake’s clever ball-playing through the centre of the field is a crucial element in Manly’s attack but he needs to start using some variations. The Roosters studied him and defended him and his runners confidently last Saturday. If he starts using some subtle variances, he’ll really
worry the Rabbitohs.
Everything points to a Souths victory but trust me this will be a tricky match for them, Manly so often rebound off bad losses and pull off upsets at home.
But victory is in the hands of Manly’s ‘Big Two.’

Wow. What a rubbish article. So it all depends on 2 players? What about the outside backs defence? We still don't have a regular hooker or full back! Players have lost confidence and have forgotten how to win. Will need a huge turn around from all players.

Stupid comparison comparing Melbourne and Roosters to Manly as they have pretty much 7-9 rep players and plenty of depth to cover injuries.

Dez poor selections, defence structure is still part of the blame, as is DCE and the rest of the players playing poorly

Hasler's teams are built on being an even team with certain players getting more. Remember our good years from 2006-2011 under Halser no player was getting stupid big money deals so the salary cap was close to evenly distributed across the team with back ended deals helping us get good footballers.

Hate them, despise them but Bellamy and the Drizzle just keep on rolling on.

Cap issues aside ( cheating bastards at the time ) my point is there’s not another team that does it better.

We all thought when Cronk went to the Roosters that this would slow them down, Nup!!

And then when Studs first finally retired that this would slow them down , Nup!!

And finally YES FINALLY, when the great Scam hung up his boots this would really bring them back to the pack , Nup !!

Roll on 2021, and they are probably the team to beat.

WHY

Coaching & Recruitment

AND

Systems

Taking off your Manly goggles you just have to stand and applaud them.

PS: you can still hate them , I do!

Last edited:
The article completely overlooks the fact that Manly arent trying to replicate Melbourne's "big three" model but instead were forced to pay overs to keep DCE when Foran left for Parra & to keep Turbo & Jurbo because Saints & Bulldogs were sniffing around.

Wow. What a rubbish article. So it all depends on 2 players? What about the outside backs defence? We still don't have a regular hooker or full back! Players have lost confidence and have forgotten how to win. Will need a huge turn around from all players.

Stupid comparison comparing Melbourne and Roosters to Manly as they have pretty much 7-9 rep players and plenty of depth to cover injuries.

Dez poor selections, defence structure is still part of the blame, as is DCE and the rest of the players playing poorly
Forgot to add “oh yeah and I’m good buddies with Des, use to live next door!”

Hate them, despise them but Bellamy and the Drizzle just keep on rolling on.

Cap issues aside ( cheating bastards at the time ) my point is there’s not another team that does it better.

We all thought when Cronk went to the Roosters that this would slow them down, Nup!!

And then when Studs first finally retired that this would slow them down , Nup!!

And finally YES FINALLY, when the great Scam hung up his boots this would really bring them back to the pack , Nup !!

Roll on 2021, and they are probably the team to beat.

WHY

Coaching & Recruitment

AND

Systems

Taking off your Manly goggles you just have to stand and applaud them.

PS: you can still hate them , I do!
Remains to be seen how they go this year Mark. That’s not just the loss tonight. These early games in sone ways can go either way (wet, early season form etc). I still think the jury’s out on the Smithless Storm. I think we will have a better picture at around round 12.

I thought the article did acknowledge this very point. Should we reread it?

IMO the whole article is written based on the assumption that Manly, like many other clubs, tried to emulate Melbourne's "big three" model.

It goes on to point out how successful Melbourne are/were but how unsuccessful Manly have been.

It's almost like Joey chose to ignore the fact that Manly's "big three" model occurred under entirely different circumstances to Melbourne's - I suppose because doing so would make his comparison completely irrelevant.

Whatever point he's trying to make, he's being pretty clumsy about it.

IMO the whole article is written based on the assumption that Manly, like many other clubs, tried to emulate Melbourne's "big three" model.

It goes on to point out how successful Melbourne are/were but how unsuccessful Manly have been.

It's almost like Joey chose to ignore the fact that Manly's "big three" model occurred under entirely different circumstances to Melbourne's - I suppose because doing so would make his comparison completely irrelevant.

Whatever point he's trying to make, he's being pretty clumsy about it.
Whether they were mindfully trying to emulate the "Big 3" strategy or not is somewhat irrelevant. We find ourselves locked into this approach with current salary cap distribution, so we either embrace it, or release the Big 3 and rebuild around the strategy we prefer. I haven't seen us make any moves towards the later so I assume we are happy to pursue a Big 3 approach.

And if so, then 2 of that Big 3 DO need to perform/compensate/adjust, and we DO need to be smarter with recruitment.

Last edited:
Melbourne also give their young players opportunities......unlike Manly. Bellamy drops out of form players in an instant & wasn’t afraid to promote B Smith, Hughes, Papenhuyzen, Fa’asuamaleaui etc!!!!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10