Grand Final staying in Sydney

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DUFFMAN

Bencher
Probably a good thing but the SCG is sure a crap game to watch a game, a better option would of been finish the SFS and then rebuild the Olympic stadium.

Grand final coup as Sydney beats Brisbane to keep NRL decider
Phil Rothfield, The Daily Telegraph
October 16, 2019 3:30pm

Subscriber only
Sydney will retain the NRL grand final for the next two years in a $15 million deal with the NSW State Government, quashing an attempted interstate hijack of our showpiece sporting event.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian is expected reveal the funding deal involving Destination NSW later on Wednesday which prevents the NRL from switching the game’s biggest event to either Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth, the three cities all bidding to host the game.
The announcement will be brought forward after news began to leak on the coup.
Live stream the inaugural Downer Rugby League World Cup 9’s Live & On-Demand on KAYO SPORTS. Get your 14 day free trial and start streaming instantly >
The Sydney Roosters celebrate their 2019 grand final victory over Canberra. The premiers will attempt to win three straight when the SCG hosts next year’s decider. Picture: Getty

The Sydney Roosters celebrate their 2019 grand final victory over Canberra. The premiers will attempt to win three straight when the SCG hosts next year’s decider. Picture: Getty
The Daily Telegraph can reveal all three cities wanted to host the event at either Suncorp Stadium, the MCG or Optus Stadium – and were prepared to offer millions for it.
MORE IN sport
Jay Florimo Central Coast Division Rugby League first grade grand final between Wyong Roos and The Entrance Tigers at Woy Woy Oval Sunday 29th September 2019.(AAP Image/Sue Graham

Legend’s son lines up for US Nines
Legend’s son lines up for US Nines

Souths Sam Burgess after a try by Canberra's Jarrod Croker during the Canberra Raiders v South Sydney Preliminary NRL Final at GIO Stadium, Canberra.

Bennett’s emphatic response to Burgess retirement talk

similars

The Melbourne plan was to hold the game the weekend after the AFL grand final. It was appealing in that it would allow the NRL to sell more than 90,000 seats and also take an upfront payment from Victorian Tourism.
It is a huge victory for Sydney in the same week of the NSW v Victoria slanging match over which state holds the premier racing carnival.
Johnathan Thurston’s Cowboys beat the Broncos in an all-Queensland decider in 2015 in one of the greatest ever grand finals. Picture: Brett Costello
Johnathan Thurston’s Cowboys beat the Broncos in an all-Queensland decider in 2015 in one of the greatest ever grand finals. Picture: Brett Costello
Under the new Sydney agreement, the 2020 and 2021 grand finals will be played at the Sydney Cricket Ground while both Allianz Stadium and ANZ Stadium are out of action undergoing rebuilds.
The SCG has only 46,000 seats and more than 16,000 of those will be taken by members.

As part of the deal, the next 27 grand finals will be played in NSW, a government source said.
The deal involves $6.7 million specifically paid from the state government to the NRL as compensation for the loss of ticket revenue over playing the matches at a smaller stadium.

MORE NEWS
Ultimate guide to The Everest: Santa’s chances soar
A-League calls in former EPL boss
The Sydney grand final had been under threat because of the State Government’s delay in starting work on ANZ Stadium until after Stave of Origin next year.
The delay cancelled out the original memorandum of understanding that all grand finals would stay in Sydney for the next 25 years.
The loss of earnings from ticket sales at the SCG put the NRL in a position to demand compensation from the government.
The news comes a day after Queensland Tourism Minister Kate Jones tried to use a league-cricket scheduling fiasco at the SCG to further Brisbane’s claims to host the NRL’s showpiece event.

A good thing for Sydney but **** me it’s going to be an absolute ****fight to get a seat, a LOT of very unhappy fans coming.

Whilst I live here I’m def not pro QLD, but 52500 decent seats v 32,000 absolute crap seats is a no brainer for me.
Can you imagine even if it’s say eels vs manly In gf
There would be at least 40,000 loyal members missing out.
46,000 capacity 16,000 members that is only 30,000 general public seats over 60,000+ available at Anz stadium.

Yes you are right tickets would be so hard to get and the view would be so poor anyway. I want us in gf but not at the scg.

Anz stadium and Homebush for the gf when full has a wonderful atmosphere but every other time very poor.

This is pretty stupid from the NRL.

Forgetting the obvious Suncorp option they could well have chosen to “ grow the game” outside Sydney and say given it one year to Perth in that whizz bang new stadium and another year to Auckland using the purpose designed Eden Park.

Both of those can fit 60-70k in ( not sure about Perth but certainly a lot more than the SCG).

And both choices would have grown the game to new audiences.

Stupid ****ers.

A good thing for Sydney but **** me it’s going to be an absolute ****fight to get a seat, a LOT of very unhappy fans coming.

Whilst I live here I’m def not pro QLD, but 52500 decent seats v 32,000 absolute crap seats is a no brainer for me.
Paid my SCG membership last week. I was at the last one in 87 and I'll be at the next

Why is it that the state govt has already started building one new stadium largely at the behest of the NRL that will mainly benefit the NRL. Plus agree to a major and costly refurb of ANZ also largely to benefit the NRL, now have to cough up millions to bribe the NRL to stay in Sydney for the grand final?

I would have thought the NRL would be grateful to have such largesse spent on them. But no, they are disgracefully holding out their grubby greasy palms for more cash to spend on HQ and not grass roots league. This as someone who has largely lived in rural NSW for 20 years and saw the crap services the NSW government provide. The NRL must think they have hit the motherlode with the government leaking hard earned money like this. Venal and greedy carpet-baggers.

Simply catering to the rich end of Sydney town and the scg members. What a fuken joke this nrl admin is. More under the table goodies for Turdy to grow fat on. Absolute farce. Fuk the fans, fuk the public. Screw them all is the nrl new motto.

I have mixed feelings about it. Living in Sydney, I am pretty grateful that it's staying here, especially because it makes it a whole lot easier for my grandparents to attend. Also being the last team to win a grand final at the SCG, how cool to continue that record over three decades later! But agree SCG is an awful ground to watch rugby league at. I was thinking could they bring in temporary seating (that blends in to some extent) to make it more rectangle/close to the action? I know ANZ they sometimes bring extra seating in for different events.

Truly poor planning by the NSW Government to have both ANZ and the SFS out of action. But no matter what, if (or should I say when ;)) Manly are in the grand final, I will no doubt be rocking up to the SCG. Just gonna have to get tickets as soon as they go on sale haha!

This is pretty stupid from the NRL.

Forgetting the obvious Suncorp option they could well have chosen to “ grow the game” outside Sydney and say given it one year to Perth in that whizz bang new stadium and another year to Auckland using the purpose designed Eden Park.

Both of those can fit 60-70k in ( not sure about Perth but certainly a lot more than the SCG).

And both choices would have grown the game to new audiences.

Stupid ****ers.

The record attendance at Optus in Perth is 61,241 for the Bledisloe Cup game they had there in August. That's 1,520 more than the Origin game there this year and 1,633 more than the largest AFL crowd they've had there.

Still better than the SCG's 48,000 capacity.

I seriously wonder how much in kickbacks those like Greenturd are getting for signing this deal to play the GF's at the SCG? The NRL is getting $15m from the NSW Government. I wonder how much Greenturd is pocketing.....

I am an SCG member. As I spent my youth watching games on the old hill in the Brewongle and Sheridan Stands I dont think the SCG is that bad to watch a game. Certainly no worse than the higher sections of ANZ. My issue is the disgraceful bribery this seems to entail. The government are alredy building them stadiums and the NRL are accepting large amounts of cash to stay in Sydney. I hate professional sport now an I also hate governments who have no principles dealing with organisations such as the NRL.

DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB

Seriously.

The NRL are absolute MUPPETS.

Even if they do intend to keep the NRL GF in Sydney - you should NEVER lock it in and make anyone complacent.

What they have done here is simply lock in the fact that Rugby League is a sydney-centric sport, and will not grow around the country. You need to provide some HOPE to other cities to engage in the growth.

Adelaide frikkin oval would be better than the SCG.
OPTUS stadium
Even the bloody MCG if need be (although I like the idea of a neutral venue)

These guys are muppets. They are guaranteeing the death of the game by limiting the audience and the options.

Crickey - maybe even a GF in NZ would be beneficial one day.

Not saying I agree with this but on the up side but....lol @Queensland.
Broncos monopolise Friday night matches and traditionally there's been 2 Origins at Suncorp giving them a distinct advantage.
They've got something else to whinge about now. And they will.
*disclaimer - not being a two-headist discriminator. I live here and am possible growing a third head.
But I'll always be a northern beaches girl at heart. Paddling out at the Alley at Freshie in the morning then sitting on the hill at Brookie in the afternoon.
Go Manly!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4