Grand Final 2023 - arrogant P's v flashy B's

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Can’t we just put Jerome and Reece in a tub of jelly and get it over with?They can do Tiktok dance battles for the warm up.
Go Manly ‘24!

It's a bloody interesting match up.

Screenshot_20230924_215406_League Live.jpg

Screenshot_20230924_215432_League Live.jpg

Walsh v Edwards - Walsh x factor gets it.
Arthars v To'o - BT every time
Tago v farnworth - 50/50 on form
Staggs v Critter - 50/50
Cobbo v Turuva - Cobbo
Mam v Luai - tough again. Luai by an inch
Reynolds v Cleary - Cleary with younger legs
Carrigan v Yeo - hard to split. I say Carrigan
Riki v Sorenson - 50/50
Capewell v Martin - Martin by a small amount
Hass v Fisher Harris - Hass 9 time out of 10
Walters v Kenny - Kenny by a whisker
Flegler v Leota - 50/50

Cleary v K Walters - Cleary
AS A TEAM - PANTHERS
X FACTOR - BRONCS

Could be a cracker if Broncos turn up and compete.

The Broncos have the team to beat Penrith, but the old saying of “you’ve got to lose one to win one” will prove correct I reckon.

I find it interesting that both hookers in next week’s GF are hardly world beaters, yet our hooker (who in my mind is superior to at least Walters) gets hammered from pillar to post on here. Can’t forget it is a team game after all.

Gonna be a great game.. a lot better than the dud gf from last year, where everyone (except eels fans) knew it was a forgone conclusion before a ball was kicked, and it was over after 25 minutes…

I’m on the panthers… I don’t get the hate for them… yes, the arrogance of some of the players gets annoying, but they play a great brand of attacking football and also have the defence to keep opponents out of it…

The big thing for me is, unlike the storm of the dominant era, these panthers are winning because they are just better.. they arnt making up filthy tactics each season to stay on top, they lose a couple of very good players each season yet bring in new faces and keep rolling on, there’s not much to dislike about them apart from the attitude of a few…

Panthers will have too much firepower and the experience of 4 gfs in a row should be too much for the broncos on that big of a stage

The Broncos have the team to beat Penrith, but the old saying of “you’ve got to lose one to win one” will prove correct I reckon.

I find it interesting that both hookers in next week’s GF are hardly world beaters, yet our hooker (who in my mind is superior to at least Walters) gets hammered from pillar to post on here. Can’t forget it is a team game after all.
I think the Riff will get their 3 peat, saying that, no doubt the Donkeys can turn up and get the job done, especially if the footy gods and the bunker get behind it.

Re the hookers, Billy the kid is killing it and I have him as the best 9 in the game at present, it’s his overall game lead by his fitness, work rate and desire, that puts him in front for mine, Kenny is very similar, his work in last years GF was outstanding.

Very good point re the hookers I was thinking the same watching the other night.

Last edited:
Gonna be a great game.. a lot better than the dud gf from last year, where everyone (except eels fans) knew it was a forgone conclusion before a ball was kicked, and it was over after 25 minutes…

I’m on the panthers… I don’t get the hate for them… yes, the arrogance of some of the players gets annoying, but they play a great brand of attacking football and also have the defence to keep opponents out of it…

The big thing for me is, unlike the storm of the dominant era, these panthers are winning because they are just better.. they arnt making up filthy tactics each season to stay on top, they lose a couple of very good players each season yet bring in new faces and keep rolling on, there’s not much to dislike about them apart from the attitude of a few…

Panthers will have too much firepower and the experience of 4 gfs in a row should be too much for the broncos on that big of a stage
Same, i don't get why Penrith are not liked they play a pure type of RL that every club is envious of. Getting the 3peat will be an amazing achievement, they lose a lot of players owing to their success but seem to replace them fairly quickly, never missing a beat.

That was an awesome performance from the Penrith forwards on Friday night. Specifically from Fisher-Harris, Leota, Yeo and Leniu. Could not help comparing to our guys and wondering how we would measure up next year. Their line speed in attack down the middle was breathtaking....especially after Cleary got pushed by NAS. I think a fully fit Paeseka, Toff, Lodge, Bullemore and Alio Olio could come close to matching in attack. In defence however, I think we will need more than just a Croker and Jake doing all the hard work in that middle. One reason i liked the Alex Twal rumours.

ps. oh yes the GF.....Brisbane by 12.

Very hard to pick this one. The irresistible force VS The immovable object. (My physics teacher would be proud right now).
It'll come down to something minor, a sin bin, head bin,or refereeing error. Close,but the Panthers will win.

I see it as a clash of the best defence v the best attack. Penrith trust their game and are more adaptable if injury hits them. They have a game plan and system that is so reliable. Brisbane score points at will and are lethal in broken play.

Grand finals tend to suit structure and I believe Penrith have an edge here.

I think it will be razor thin by full time. Penrith to narrowly win and compete a three peat.

They are the benchmark and something that we can learn so much from. Manly need to build resilience like these teams. We need to be fitter and faster as well!

Riff by 4

I agree injuries are key, but I don't think it's that simple. Dogs were fit, so fit the players were unhappy with getting flogged so much, yet they were worse than us. Turbo's injury was nothing to do with fitness, nor Paseka, Aloia, lodge etc.
In this era I think most teams would be on a similar level fitness wise, with a few individual players as exceptions.
One thing about the GF sides, they have a lot of young players, early to mid 20s. Reynolds is about the only old one (and he gets plenty of injuries.)
If Paseka and Sipley can play a full year that will take Manly up several notches just like that.

Can't say I agree that Dogs were fit. They were complaining about the training - certainly not fit before or after.

I think the Riff will get their 3 peat, saying that, no doubt the Donkeys can turn up and get the job done, especially if the footy gods and the bunker get behind it.

Re the hookers, Billy the kid is killing it and I have him as the best 9 in the game at present, it’s his overall game lead by his fitness, work rate and desire, that puts him in front for mine, Kenny is very similar, his work in last years GF was outstanding.
I agree Billy is playing great. He is also playing in a team where the forwards are dominating and the backline is lightning.

I see it as a clash of the best defence v the best attack. Penrith trust their game and are more adaptable if injury hits them. They have a game plan and system that is so reliable. Brisbane score points at will and are lethal in broken play.

Grand finals tend to suit structure and I believe Penrith have an edge here.

I think it will be razor thin by full time. Penrith to narrowly win and compete a three peat.

They are the benchmark and something that we can learn so much from. Manly need to build resilience like these teams. We need to be fitter and faster as well!

Riff by 4
Penrith play a brand of football that is very hard to emulate. They are losing Chriton and Leniu at seasons end, how long can they sustain this sort of form. They could come back to the field a bit, but I'm not holding my breath tho.

Can't say I agree that Dogs were fit. They were complaining about the training - certainly not fit before or after.
It's akin to the ch7 reality show SAS, maybe Crialdo can be one of the instructors if he gets the flick.

Penrith play a brand of football that is very hard to emulate. They are losing Chriton and Leniu at seasons end, how long can they sustain this sort of form. They could come back to the field a bit, but I'm not holding my breath tho.
My old man lives around the corner from St.Mary’s Leagues and home ground to the "Saints".
He always knows when there’s a game on from the crowd noise, let alone when the A-grade are playing. When I get down there to see him, it’s always the first thing I check. Who’s playing and when. The crowds are huge, and the talent on display is incredible. Last time I was there, we spent Saturday watching an U/16s carnival. I was just in awe of the skill set of these kids. From what I’ve seen and heard from the old man and others, Penrith have a production line who will play NRL well into the future.
But the biggest thing they’ve got going for them is the "brotherhood " of a lot of these players. They come from Mt.Druitt, St.Mary’s, Doonside, and in and around Penrith itself. For a lot of these blokes the only way to provide for their families is Rugby League. That sort of bond leads to where they’re at, atm. I can’t see it changing anytime soon.
I think Penrith will carve up the Broncs in the second half once they win the forward battle (which, on paper should be brutal). Either way, we have the best two teams in the comp by a country mile up against each other.

My old man lives around the corner from St.Mary’s Leagues and home ground to the "Saints".
He always knows when there’s a game on from the crowd noise, let alone when the A-grade are playing. When I get down there to see him, it’s always the first thing I check. Who’s playing and when. The crowds are huge, and the talent on display is incredible. Last time I was there, we spent Saturday watching an U/16s carnival. I was just in awe of the skill set of these kids. From what I’ve seen and heard from the old man and others, Penrith have a production line who will play NRL well into the future.
But the biggest thing they’ve got going for them is the "brotherhood " of a lot of these players. They come from Mt.Druitt, St.Mary’s, Doonside, and in and around Penrith itself. For a lot of these blokes the only way to provide for their families is Rugby League. That sort of bond leads to where they’re at, atm. I can’t see it changing anytime soon.
I think Penrith will carve up the Broncs in the second half once they win the forward battle (which, on paper should be brutal). Either way, we have the best two teams in the comp by a country mile up against each other.
summed it up pretty well wombatgc, when i think back to their dark days in the 70s and a portion of the 80s when they were known as the chocolate soilders, and were duly carved up nearly every weekend. I always thought this is a huge RL catchment area and they'll eventually reap the rewards with the sheer weight of numbers.

I think the Broncos win this one. The speed of their attack in parts of the second half against the Warriors is the fastest I have ever seen, and you can bet they have no interest in getting in the grind with them because that’s their snake pit.

Reece lightning might make two howling dumb plays a game, but in the same game makes 6 spectacular plays. I think Kevvie will ride that Tiger to the win.

NYEagle

Media will go ape**** up here if Brisbane win especially if the Lions do too. I hope Penrith beat them by 100 plus.

A win by 39 will do, we need to keep that 40 nil record intact.

I prefer a Penrith win to shut up some Rooster supporters, they keep gloating about being the first team in the NRL era to go back to back. Penrith win three in a row that B2B losses a lot of meaning.
Also some Roosters fans I know go on about how Manly cheated them out of two premierships (77 and 87 from memory) and how their 37 nil is better then our 40 nil because of the points structure.

In my tipping comp I have backed the Broncos but it makes no difference as have have second place locked in.
With the expected mid 30 temp I feel that will suit the Broncos and also Penrith thinking we done it twice, we have this won.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8