Glenn's progress

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
RE: Glens progress

MK Eagle said:
Its a pretty fair summary.
Glen is a must to have ANY chance of winning in 2013.
When ppl speak of replacing him with a NSW Cup player just cant get the logic, Stewart at 30% is the better option & even just his presence is needed to nurture those around him.
Has struggled at times since returning due to match fitness & carrying injury & trying to hard which is not a crime compared to others under performing due to not having a go.
The thing is the players, fans & opposition realise how integral Gift is to the team & imo he has tried to overplay his hand at times due to this tag, needing to simplify his game playing direct till he gets closer to 100%.
If Manly go all the way this year, Gift will be part of the core playing group that makes it happen.
Agree 99% Susan but regardless of physical developement Trobovic, Sao & Gutherson will be quality NRL players imo.
Glen is a Must and his selection is not negotiable . Physical development goes a long way for any young player with potential in the toughest game of all .

susan said:
I am making my judgement of Hasson etc more on their performance in reserve grade.They should not be expected to be world beaters early in first grade(although the good ones show glimpses early) but they should stand out in a weak competition.In what I have seen they don't.

Putting my head out to have it chopped off but all the good forwards I have seen show a lot more early than the guys I am talking about.

On the other hand Ligi has potential and Chee Kam,Gutherson and Jake have to physically develop before anyone could make a call but the early signs are good.My comments were based on the guys 2V is using now and they offer very little.

You seem to forget that Hasson came to us as a backrower and we have had to make him into a front rower overnight due to the injuries to King and Joe.

It is a massive step up from Holden cup to first grade at 21 and not many do it these days at any club. Also very rare for a prop as well as they usually need time to mature physically.

Sao is supposed to be out next big prop but Hasson looks better than him at the moment.

There are very few forwards in NSW cup that stand out and I wouldn't say that Starling and Andrews are stars either yet we have signed them up for next year.

We signed Glen Hall, Mark Bryant and Michael Robertson as plodders in reserve grade but they went on the be fair first grade footballers.

I think that our coaching staff know a bit more about potential in a footballer than we will ever know and I am happy to back their judgement on Hasson and Hiku.

tookey said:
susan said:
I am making my judgement of Hasson etc more on their performance in reserve grade.They should not be expected to be world beaters early in first grade(although the good ones show glimpses early) but they should stand out in a weak competition.In what I have seen they don't.

Putting my head out to have it chopped off but all the good forwards I have seen show a lot more early than the guys I am talking about.

On the other hand Ligi has potential and Chee Kam,Gutherson and Jake have to physically develop before anyone could make a call but the early signs are good.My comments were based on the guys 2V is using now and they offer very little.

You seem to forget that Hasson came to us as a backrower and we have had to make him into a front rower overnight due to the injuries to King and Joe.

It is a massive step up from Holden cup to first grade at 21 and not many do it these days at any club. Also very rare for a prop as well as they usually need time to mature physically.

Sao is supposed to be out next big prop but Hasson looks better than him at the moment.

There are very few forwards in NSW cup that stand out and I wouldn't say that Starling and Andrews are stars either yet we have signed them up for next year.

We signed Glen Hall, Mark Bryant and Michael Robertson as plodders in reserve grade but they went on the be fair first grade footballers.

I think that our coaching staff know a bit more about potential in a footballer than we will ever know and I am happy to back their judgement on Hasson and Hiku.

Very, very well said mate. Could not agree more!

I cant go as far as to say Gift should be dropped - we have to persist with him in the knowledge that it will turn around sooner or later and we cant match it with the big sides in the semis without him.

Its apparent to everyone ( well many at least ) that he is a mile off the pace and somewhat of a liability at present. Opposition defences just aren't buying him as a running threat at the moment, they know all he is doing is falling to ground and throwing it sideways and they are all holding off him.

But we have to persist and hope he comes good.

As for Hassan I see some good signs in him - too early to write him off. Skinner well all I can say there is they should have played Gower instead so enough said.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Whilst the loyalty towards Gift expressed above is laudable, as Manly fans, all must concede the possibility that you are looking at his recent (post injury) on-field performances through maroon and white coloured glasses. If any 'new comer' displayed this kind of game, they would be instantly dropped. Why treat a reputation player differently?.

His first half last night was very poor. Bad options, pathetic passing, little discipline/ball security. His game improved somewhat in the second half. Yes, mainly because he attempted less.

The best way to get him back into some sort of 'semi-final form' is to play him from the bench as an impact player, and he should play a simple game and let the fineries work their way back into his game gradually. But in terms of playing straight, playing hard there are others who do it better. Albeit one of them is out injured. So MWSE are in a bit of a bind.

Will 2V will continue to select him to start matches regardless of what he does on field ?. Perhaps 2V is too close to the players.

5055032357_69d1d1be72_z.jpg

Not one post i have ever read of this douchebags has ever had a positive note nor anything sensible,i call troll where i see troll,this person is in fact a troll and a bad one due to the complete lack of skill possessed in trolling by said troll

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Whilst the loyalty towards Gift expressed above is laudable, as Manly fans, all must concede the possibility that you are looking at his recent (post injury) on-field performances through maroon and white coloured glasses. If any 'new comer' displayed this kind of game, they would be instantly dropped. Why treat a reputation player differently?.

His first half last night was very poor. Bad options, pathetic passing, little discipline/ball security. His game improved somewhat in the second half. Yes, mainly because he attempted less.

The best way to get him back into some sort of 'semi-final form' is to play him from the bench as an impact player, and he should play a simple game and let the fineries work their way back into his game gradually. But in terms of playing straight, playing hard there are others who do it better. Albeit one of them is out injured. So MWSE are in a bit of a bind.

Will 2V will continue to select him to start matches regardless of what he does on field ?. Perhaps 2V is too close to the players.
The reason we are not loyal to any new comer is because they don't have the experience ( Aust , NSW , Grandfinals ) or the ability that Glen has
You build match form with match fitness and no one gets match fitness by sitting on the bench like you do .
The great 2V is close to his players like all great coaches are . This is called bonding and team morale . Its all about being loyal to each other !!!
Success is all about being loyal and believing in your self . If you don't you may as well make a hole in the ground and lie there .
HAVE FEATHERS WILL FLY. GO THE MIGHTY SEA EAGLES !!!

BOZO said:
EagleFromMay1967 said:

The reason we are not loyal to any new comer is because they don't have the experience ( Aust , NSW , Grandfinals ) or the ability that Glen has
You build match form with match fitness and no one gets match fitness by sitting on the bench like you do .
The great 2V is close to his players like all great coaches are . This is called bonding and team morale . Its all about being loyal to each other !!!
Success is all about being loyal and believing in your self . If you don't you may as well make a hole in the ground and lie there .
HAVE FEATHERS WILL FLY. GO THE MIGHTY SEA EAGLES !!!

Great post Bozo. Absolutely spot on.

I think when you see his passing become more crisp you will forget you ever doubted him. His timing and decision making have had lapses over the past few weeks but I thought he was starting to get the opposition in two minds last night which is exactly what he did during his prime.

I've been away for five weeks but have been following the forum. Last night's game was the first game I've seen in that time. Have to say I was expecting a lot more from Hasson, based solely on what I'd read here. He didn't make much of an impact, but as someone else pointed out above, none of our forwards really did (although I thought Richie was excellent when he was on). Obviously he needs more time to develop and I'm sure he'll get it. On the plus side, I thought Hiku looked great in the centres. That kid's a footballer, plain and simple, and I look forward to seeing him grow in the maroon and white.
As for Gifty, I thought he looked good when he played straight. Certainly looks way better than he did five weeks ago, although it still worries me that he's carrying his right arm so awkwardly - like it's in danger of falling off if he takes the wrong knock.
Generally I agree with Susan's assessment. The idea of replacing him with ANYONE else is crazy.

Why does everyone assume that we recruit players solely because they have great potential etc.The vast majority of second tier players are recruited so we can actually field a reserve grade side.If they were all potential superstars they would be lost virtually straight away as they graduate to A grade and the cap pressure forces them out.

The blokes I mentioned aren't getting a run because of some supposed great potential ,they are getting a run because we have lost 3 seasoned first graders to injury and there is no one else. Simple as that and our hopeless results in the reserves is ample evidence.The guys with real potential in my view are the ones who need another year at least under their belt physically.

And it is quite obvious the club thinks so too because they ARE recruiting Starling and Co. With Jake and Sau earmarked for bigger things why would we bother chasing other big forwards if we rate Hasson,Skinner and Gower so highly.

And one other thing.A top quality young footballer DOES stand out in that grade.The nsw cup is a low quality competition,hence all the griping about the NYC.

cherry_poppins said:

Not one post i have ever read of this douchebags has ever had a positive note nor anything sensible,i call troll where i see troll,this person is in fact a troll and a bad one due to the complete lack of skill possessed in trolling by said troll

A 'Douchebag'? Nice.

Or i could just be a Manly supporter since well before you were born, have seen hundreds of games all the way back to when it says, with a clear and realistic view not swayed by blind faith and the delusional thinking like most on these pages.

Glenn Stewart may improve, may regain form, but there has been precious little evidence of it. One decent match against the wooden spooners. He hasnt played well since Toovey took over.

I don't think 2V is about to nor would he EVER contemplate dropping a guy who less than 2 years ago played a M.O.M performance on the biggest stage there is. He's had some major injury problems over the last 18 months he will get better,in fact a lot better when it really matters, in September.

cherry_poppins said:

Where????
*screams*
I can't see the troll. Oh hang on. It's the blonde on the far right with the sunnies on, isn't it!!!

EagleFromMay1967 said:
cherry_poppins said:

A 'Douchebag'? Nice.

Or i could just be a Manly supporter since well before you were born, have seen hundreds of games all the way back to when it says, with a clear and realistic view not swayed by blind faith and the delusional thinking like most on these pages.

Glenn Stewart may improve, may regain form, but there has been precious little evidence of it. One decent match against the wooden spooners. He hasnt played well since Toovey took over.
If you have been a Manly supporter for all those years you should know better that great players like Gift eventually bounce back to from .The evidence was there against the Cowboys and even you agreed to this on your recent post, ( Quote " His game improved somewhat in the second half ")
As for you comment that he has not played well since 2V took over .Well you may as well blame 2V for his injuries as well :D

susan said:

Why does everyone assume that we recruit players solely because they have great potential etc.The vast majority of second tier players are recruited so we can actually field a reserve grade side.If they were all potential superstars they would be lost virtually straight away as they graduate to A grade and the cap pressure forces them out.

The blokes I mentioned aren't getting a run because of some supposed great potential ,they are getting a run because we have lost 3 seasoned first graders to injury and there is no one else. Simple as that and our hopeless results in the reserves is ample evidence.The guys with real potential in my view are the ones who need another year at least under their belt physically.

And it is quite obvious the club thinks so too because they ARE recruiting Starling and Co. With Jake and Sau earmarked for bigger things why would we bother chasing other big forwards if we rate Hasson,Skinner and Gower so highly.

And one other thing.A top quality young footballer DOES stand out in that grade.The nsw cup is a low quality competition,hence all the griping about the NYC.

I am not arguing about Gower and Skinner because I agree that they are both NSW cup quality players and always will be

However why was Hasson promoted to first grade before Sao if the club didn't think that he had as much of not more potential than Sao?

Fluffy said:
Playing as a prop even though he is a second rower as well Tookey
From what i have seen last night Sao seems to be a more of a damaging player . Time will tell . I wish them both well whilst they are wearing maroon and white

G.Stewart has obvious ball playing class and has to be a starter he is not an impact player never will be.

The problem I see is that his physical build and sharpness are a generation behind in some respects and he lacks the mobile sharpness to put doubt into the defensive line. Glenn is not going to break the line all that often one on one, he is not going to use exceptional footwork to create half opportunities and in high tempo periods he struggles big time in defence.

If you lack sharpness the defensive line can over-slide and defend in numbers off his outside hip when they are stretched or just rush up like crazy and offer him the inside line knowing he really is not a danger if he runs straight through the defenders inside hip as he lacks speed.

To me Glenn has a chronic shoulder or arm injury and has been carrying it for years ---it just shows the toughness of the bloke to still have an impact for so many years playing under such pain and not once making a big deal about it(LOL or there is no injury and just has a habit of walking and jogging like he has one)

If he can find that youthful sharpness again he would always be one of my first picked in the squad but history tells me he will get slower and slower as the years go on and put on more weight gradually.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2