Glenn Stewart Jack Wighton

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Can you tell me how Souths are able to sign Wighton for less than what Canberra offered him when Manly were unable to retain a long serving player in Glenn Stewart because it was deemed his contract was undervalued by the club. Stewart ended up having to go to Souths (coincidentally) on a larger deal because the salary cap wouldn't ratify a lesser amount at Manly.

Please ask this of every journalist you can electronically. Just cut and paste and send to their email or twitter. Don't make it seem like Manly SOUR GRAPES. It's not it's about stopping the inequities of a system that stopped Gift having one more season with Manly and put a lot of friction on the playing squad.

Many thanks. It will only take a moment.

TEE.

Can you tell me how Souths are able to sign Wighton for less than what Canberra offered him when Manly were unable to retain a long serving player in Glenn Stewart because it was deemed his contract was undervalued by the club. Stewart ended up having to go to Souths (coincidentally) on a larger deal because the salary cap wouldn't ratify a lesser amount at Manly.

Please ask this of every journalist you can electronically. Just cut and paste and send to their email or twitter. Don't make it seem like Manly SOUR GRAPES. It's not it's about stopping the inequities of a system that stopped Gift having one more season with Manly and put a lot of friction on the playing squad.

TEE.
Firstly,his contract is yet to be approved by the NRL.Secondly,his contract figure is based purely on speculation at this point and we don’t know the finer details and there is rumours his contract increases each year.Thirdly,just because the Raiders were offering ridiculous overs for Wighton,doesn’t mean other clubs have to blindly match that offer.$1.1 million a yr for Wighton is outrageous.The rumoured price Souths are paying seems about right for a 31 yr old who’ll play centre
As for the Glenn Stewart side of the argument,I’ll get back to you

Firstly,his contract is yet to be approved by the NRL.Secondly,his contract figure is based purely on speculation at this point and we don’t know the finer details and there is rumours his contract increases each year.Thirdly,just because the Raiders were offering ridiculous overs for Wighton,doesn’t mean other clubs have to blindly match that offer.$1.1 million a yr for Wighton is outrageous.The rumoured price Souths are paying seems about right for a 31 yr old who’ll play centre
As for the Glenn Stewart side of the argument,I’ll get back to you

Fourthly that was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. Greenberg era?
Given the game routinely changes its rules mid season, changes decade to decade shouldn't surprise anyone. Unfortunately.

major difference is the quality of CEO at the time. Really poor management .

jarrad hayne was lured back to the titans by the CEO, if my memory serves for mega bucks, was almost the biggest star in the game before NFL and then signs for the eels at half price next season

se can not underestimate the negative impact the game suffered while they were part of it

I get the perceived unfairness.

But it also might be time to move on given how long ago that was.

Well and truly moved on, but it's the same threat to the sanctity of the salary cap (and yes I believe in Santa Claus too).

Hypothetical

Let's say Nelson Asofa Solomon's decided rather than resign with the Storm last week he though I'm sick of Melbourne I want to go and live in Sydney, close to the beach somewhere and play with my mate Brandon Smith, but he's telling me they only have a couple of hundred grand left to pay me. That's okay I've got enough money, I just love Longboarding and drinking coffee in Bondi and the Roosters are a foundation club with a lot of history. I'd love to play their with my friend.

Doesn't Market value decide the value of a player? And with the Dolphins and Raiders (two teams who may have scared others off once Wightons management let it known Auckland or Sydney's West weren't desirable for family reasons (again hypothetical, nothing against those places) who knows what he may have been valued at.

There are plenty here already bemoaning the fact it could end up like Premier League.

Last edited:

TEE.
a 2 word answer Turd Greenburg
The most vicious and vindictive game wrecker known to RL ,thank god he is out of it and phuking up cricket somewhere .
The creater of the bunker ,the destroyer of junior football and the architect of the system that now allows the likes of Uncle Nick and others to make a mockery of the Cap and allow stables of players to sign for places like the Rorters because they have always ""loved the club"" ,while the rest just have to do thier best .PVL is not perfect but thank god Greenburg and his corrupt influence is flushed down the S pipe of history where he and it well and truly belong.
""Consistency Transparency and honesty are over rated ""
Turd Greenkunt

I think you'll find Souths aren't offering Wighton half of what the Raiders were.

We were definitely trying to re-sign Gifty on a deal that was at least 50% less than his previous one.

I think you'll find Souths aren't offering Wighton half of what the Raiders were.

We were definitely trying to re-sign Gifty on a deal that was at least 50% less than his previous one.
He had played his whole career in the engine room and had been busted with a groin injury for a long while.

Wasn't a current National player in a playmaking position or the captain of his team.

Or a Daly M Medalist.

Nor was he classed as fit enough for a four year deal.

It's apples and oranges and different eras and administration's I'll grant you all that but....

It's the vibe of it.

He had played his whole career in the engine room and had been busted with a groin injury for a long while.

Wasn't a current National player in a playmaking position or the captain of his team.

Or a Daly M Medalist.

Nor was he classed as fit enough for a four year deal.

It's apples and oranges and different eras and administration's I'll grant you all that but....

It's the vibe of it.
If Manly were looking to sign him,how much would you want them to pay?

Gifts way too old now
Seriously though,

Wighton is a great footballer.

At Canberra I think he suits Ricky because he runs hard tackles hard is big fast aggressive can pass and kick is instinctive and hyper competitive.

In 2019 he was brilliant because Hodgson was on fire and giving him time to feed it to Bateman or a threat for him to run himself and lepana we're doing incredible things too.

I think he gets Ricky's game plan 'for him' but Ricky burns halfbacks and he could be excellent with a great halfback inside him.

Wayne would make him a champion.

Whilst I wouldn't want him at Manly if we needed that type of player I don't think 1000000 is out of the question or it could be more. If we had a Lachie Millar or a Will Kennedy fullback (or Kaeo Weekes).

But we have the Shoe on 800 so there's that

Different circumstances in Gifty 's case but not that dissimilar in some ways to Fatty Vautin 's retention situation back in the day . Manly put sentimentality to one side and intentionally just made a hard call to make it very difficult for him to stay [ Gifty ] . Though for those in the know including N R L officials were or should have been aware of his injury and playing longevity issues . . Was it something like 350 k for the Manly offer , then going to Souths for 500 k or so . Can "t see how Wighton 's South's contract will be in any particular doubt , Still back ended arrangements available though inevitably are going to have to shed a couple of mid range playing personal in the short term , If not , then it could be verging on the dodgy side

Might be different if the Raiders were set to resign him at a hefty discount, given his off to another club for less and it’s his choice, can’t see the similarities to GS.

Sound move for South’s, only issue I can see for Jack, he may be a season too late and might have to be part of a back to back effort to get that premiership victory. Can you imagine Whighton in last nights side, he would add nothing right!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4