Geoff Toovey says ‘thank you’ in passionate letter to Manly fans

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It's obvious that your too emotional to have a rational argument where you can only make a statement like your opening paragraph from behind a keyboard. Tough little man with a mouse in hand. You were a bit late with your reply so I suspect what you were smelling was a little closer to home. Maybe your phone was in your back pocket.

Our forward pack was regularly monstered by the more aggressive froward packs. Souths simply are not the same pack without Sam Burgess and Ben Te'o. I also don't consider the Broncos a monster pack. They are certainly an efficient , hard working pack. But hardly a huge pack like the Bulldogs or Roosters, both of whom beat us every time this season. FFS we couldn't even cope with the Eels pack. We were also without Brenton Lawrence and Josh Starling for most of the season - two of our bigger forwards. Although I doubt their inclusion would have changed much. It may have been a secret to you that our forward pack was our weakness but to most commentators of the game and any fan with the most basic understanding of forward play saw it as our most glaring weakness.

You also said in your initial post that you thought Toovey was let down by some of his players. Sounds like you were trying to defend him to me. It wasn't until we started to regularly have a reasonable chunk of our roster on the field each weak that we were somehow able to make a run at the finals. Sure in the end we failed but having our players on the field instead of the stands made a huge difference to Toovey's game plan, set plays...............Surely you get the picture.

In the end though, we got totally smashed by a monster forward pack in the second last round which showed us where our forwards really are in the pecking order.

I'd say it directly to your face Frank. Those on these boards that know me would certainly attest to that.

That aside, and on topic.

We have Jake Trbojevic. I think he's already one of the elite, and maybe one of the top 10 forwards in the game.

Willie Mason was outstanding. He added more than just solid performance and deserves another contract.

Feleti Meteo ran on average over 100 metres this season. He created much 2nd phase play.

Tom Symonds was up and down, mainly because he often played centre, but he was solid - at LEAST.

Blake Leary was a bright spot in very tough circumstance.

Matt Ballin was Matt Ballin. One of the elite defenders, very consistent, and very structured (although not as exciting in attack as I'd have liked).

That's excellent forward depth Frank.

Remember, we won 7 from 10 to end the season (or something). Losing to Parra (where we were out coached again), and The Panthers at the end killed us.

Gameplan was the issue Frank. Not poor forwards. We showed in the second half what we could do at times.

I completely disagree with you relating our forward players. Given innovative coaching, and new gameplan, I think they excel.

Toovey lost his players though. He allowed them to rule the roost, when he should have. BUT, he was also treated poorly by Penn and Zorba from what I read.

Jesus there is a lot of stuff to wade through in this topic

Ryan, I wouldn't call naming 6 forwards great forward depth mate, especially considering 2 of those names missed a fairly decent sized chunk of the season

From this 1380819600000.jpg

To this

derek-500x375c.jpg

That should keep the 'playing group' tight.

Some of his senior players really let him down in my opinion.

Watmough, Foran to name and shame two prime subjects.
Here here. He'd probably still be around if it wasn't for some fat heads who think they're bigger than the club and the game.

Remember, we won 7 from 10 to end the season (or something).

Toovey lost his players though.

Hmm… but if he lost them when we had that terrible losing streak at the beginning does that mean he got them back when we won all those games at the end? That just does not happen.

I am also slightly sceptical of the idea that bad coaching caused the loss to the Eels but great coaching had nothing to do with thrashing Brisbane!

Anyhow, his reign is over and Barrett now has the joy of copping all this scrutiny. And just like Toovey, I'm sure he relishes the opportunity.

I love Tooves. Along with Beaver & Cliff, one of my favourite all time players.
One of the absolute toughest players to ever lace on a boot.
Never saw him take a backward step and he has been all class through all this BS.

It is a shame & embarrassing that a thread of appreciation to one of our greatest ever players has turned into a school yard slanging match.

It's Sunday, and on the 7th day there was peace on earth !!

Moving on from that if we are to believe ZtH, TB started work this week, I wonder when we will see him in an Eagles shirt OR hear from him.

I'm betting he will be invisable for most of the pre season

I'd say it directly to your face Frank. Those on these boards that know me would certainly attest to that.

That aside, and on topic.

We have Jake Trbojevic. I think he's already one of the elite, and maybe one of the top 10 forwards in the game.

Willie Mason was outstanding. He added more than just solid performance and deserves another contract.

Feleti Meteo ran on average over 100 metres this season. He created much 2nd phase play.

Tom Symonds was up and down, mainly because he often played centre, but he was solid - at LEAST.

Blake Leary was a bright spot in very tough circumstance.

Matt Ballin was Matt Ballin. One of the elite defenders, very consistent, and very structured (although not as exciting in attack as I'd have liked).

That's excellent forward depth Frank.

Remember, we won 7 from 10 to end the season (or something). Losing to Parra (where we were out coached again), and The Panthers at the end killed us.

Gameplan was the issue Frank. Not poor forwards. We showed in the second half what we could do at times.

I completely disagree with you relating our forward players. Given innovative coaching, and new gameplan, I think they excel.

Toovey lost his players though. He allowed them to rule the roost, when he should have. BUT, he was also treated poorly by Penn and Zorba from what I read.

Interesting that you say you would say it to my face. Especially when, once again, you are saying it from behind a keyboard. It's a moot point because we will never know. Feel free to have a dig at me but your vile remarks are a direct reflection of you, and totally unnecessary.

With regard to our forward depth I totally agree about Jake. As for the others I would say that they all were good at times. Injury certainly affected our depth so no way would I say we had excellent forward depth.

Those same forwards were still smashed by the better packs. The Eels pack dominated us twice. No coach would have made a difference on those days especially with everything else that was going on at the club.

I'm also not convinced that Toovey lost the players. The players were either playing busted, not up to the task, or distracted. And sometimes a combination of those factors. Where's the evidence that he had lost the players. Please don't tell me it was something you read.

IMO Toovey was the way forward for this club. Forces conspired to get rid of him because that is what they wanted. I am in no way sold on TB. He is a complete unknown while Toovey was tried and true.

Interesting that you say you would say it to my face. Especially when, once again, you are saying it from behind a keyboard. It's a moot point because we will never know. Feel free to have a dig at me but your vile remarks are a direct reflection of you, and totally unnecessary.

Honestly, your not a full quid. This started from your smart ass comment relating to myself in this thread. That's where it began - and you didn't like me calling you on it. If you just stfu (for once), and made a post about a topic, rather than me, this whole mess wouldn't be happening.

You started this - no-one else.

If you don't like reaction, when you stab at people in threads Frank, don't stab at people. I don't quite understand how you don't comprehend that. My vile remarks to YOU ! Hahahaha..so sorry I replied to your jibe.

Oh, and if your inferring that should I say this to your face, you would resort to fisticuffs, it tells me your out of your league on an adult discussion board. Grow up. You get what you give @Frank. Simple as that.

Toovey was just a guest on the Sunday Footy show, still wearing his Manly shirt.

Always will be a Manly Legend.

Geoff is a smart guy. He knows he is winning the PR battle. Even Fran Kelly on Radio National likes him.

Geoff is the guy in the white hat. Messrs Mr Fluffy, Silent P, ZtH, Bozo and his dad Arko, they're the guys in the black hats. Geoff is Gary Cooper in High Noon or Alan Ladd in Shane.

Likewise, if you don't get that in the big bad world, you generally get what you give, then there is no hope of trying. Your misguided here.

You should be telling (using this thread as one example) Frank and Chip & Chase that it would be better to chase the topic, rather than a poster, so we don't have to go over this garbage again, and again, and again - because like you profess, we all ARE on the same team.

Wonder.....if Frank had a dig at you, then you replied, then I jumped on board to get a jab in as well, if you'd think it was all good? I am dumbfounded that you don't get that? You DO get it, don't you?
Hi Ryan.

I'm hearing that you want ad hominem? i.e. Don't attack the person's character, but the argument.

And what to do if other posters don't seem to follow that principle? If they seem to attack me rather than the argument, I should attack them rather than their argument? Is that what you're saying? That I should force the outcome of "getting what you give" onto them?

FMD guys it's Sunday, give it up and move on or otherwise **** it's going to be a long off season!!

You don't like each other , we get that , but if you just stop baiting each other and just agree that everyone has different opinions then you'd get on.

Otherwise , just carry on!!

Geoff is a smart guy. He knows he is winning the PR battle. Even Fran Kelly on Radio National likes him.

Geoff is the guy in the white hat. Messrs Mr Fluffy, Silent P, ZtH, Bozo and his dad Arko, they're the guys in the black hats. Geoff is Gary Cooper in High Noon or Alan Ladd in Shane.
Geoff Toovey Tough as nails on the field and classy and graceful off the field .
A great role model and Manly Legend

Honestly, your not a full quid. This started from your smart ass comment relating to myself in this thread. That's where it began - and you didn't like me calling you on it. If you just stfu (for once), and made a post about a topic, rather than me, this whole mess wouldn't be happening.

You started this - no-one else.

If you don't like reaction, when you stab at people in threads Frank, don't stab at people. I don't quite understand how you don't comprehend that. My vile remarks to YOU ! Hahahaha..so sorry I replied to your jibe.

Oh, and if your inferring that should I say this to your face, you would resort to fisticuffs, it tells me your out of your league on an adult discussion board. Grow up. You get what you give @Frank. Simple as that.
This started from a one line response to your comment that some players let Toovey down. All it took was seven harmless words that some fans on this forum also contributed in a small way to letting Toovey down. You chose not to ignore it and started frothing at the mouth. You haven't stopped since.

Happy to call a truce until your next "doom and gloom" post. You're better off taking your own advice and STFU.

This started from a one line response to your comment that some players let Toovey down. All it took was seven harmless words that some fans on this forum also contributed in a small way to letting Toovey down. You chose not to ignore it and started frothing at the mouth. You haven't stopped since.

Happy to call a truce until your next "doom and gloom" post. You're better off taking your own advice and STFU.

That's not the way to call a truce you dip****. And yes, know that when you throw your inflamatory comments around, you'll be flamed in response.

It's not a free for all.

You are that simple, that you lay the slipper in when you ask for a truce. I mean, I'm starting to think you actually don't get it, and in that case, I just feel sorry for you.

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6