General NRL chat

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
I thought I'd create a thread for general and random NRL chat thet is day to day stuff not necessarily worth a whole new thread on.

Saw today Pauli Pauli has been released by Parra to sign with Newcastle.

Two thoughts on this,

Firstly, I think he is a young guy with a far bit of upside so a decent pickup by Newcastle

Secondly, Parra are looking very thin on for props now, Ive always rated Mannah, he is top tier but he is reliable and gets quick play the balls, Wicks is solid, Gower? Alvaro? who else do they have...Injury or two up front and Watmough will be playing prop

Hearing Junior Paulo is also on his way out there who is another front rower.

Spent all this money on Foran and Jennings, but they wont do anything without big front rowers.

Rate Mannah? The guy is overrated and is (as footballers go) now in the geriatric class. And you can add Watmouth to the geriatrics too

Have to agree with other comments though. It seems that the Speels big spending on players like Foreign, Jennings and Gordon is going to come at the expense of a decent pack. And as we had last year here at Manly, even having the best backline in the competition and best halves doesn't mean much if the forwards are going backwards. And the Speels don't even have the best backline or best halves.

Realistically, 40% of their starting forwards are over the hill and the rest are never will be's.

I wonder how long it will be until the Speels fans turn on Foreign the halfback when he can't do anything behind a crap forward pack?

Last edited:
Rate Mannah? The guy is overrated and is (as footballers go) now in the geriatric class.

Haha I should quantify that

I feel the pendulum swung too far with him playing Origin but has now swung too far back with a lot of NRL fans claiming he rubbish

I think he is a good prop who will get through his work for the Eels

Parras as depth is horrible they have heaps of players for depth but they're horrible players who wouldn't walk into any other new cup team

The Squeels are going to be light on in the forwards. By about round 4, the pressure will be on BA big time.

The Squeels are going to be light on in the forwards. By about round 4, the pressure will be on BA big time.
I relish the thought. I've realised my current loathing of Parra is not about the old rivalry but entirely about BA. I was pleased enough for him getting a head coach gig after he'd been with us but the way he got in the ear of our players, relentlessly, has really made me wish failure upon him.
Here's hoping.

BA has an atrocious record and if Parra miss the eight this year again he could be gone. That means Foran will be at risk. Wouldn't surprise me if Foran ends up at Roosters once Pearce is shown the door in two years time. Or the dogs with Des in place of Josh Reynolds

Are they banking on the reduced interchange having a significant impact?

Are they banking on the reduced interchange having a significant impact?
I would say so; many backrowers, very few props seems to be their approach.

Why would he give up the chance of 7's gold? Sounds like some PR to try appease their fans

When is the Olympics? August?

Maybe they are willing to sign him with him joining the squad straight after the Olympics.......seems crazy though

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2