Game Plan

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
As the honey badger said. Up the guts, into em, throw it wide and in the corner for a meat pie!
Rather obvious game plan to most on here but did not happen. Not sure if the boys had a different game plan or simply did not execute. From the evidence in the game, sadly got to conclude this was NOT in our game plan. Especially knowing the Storm were going to ambush Turbo out wide, you would think we would have had the balance of the spine attacking the middles?? Again fairly obvious play but cant remember DCE, Foran or Lawton doing this during the game. Most of our middle forwards were on their lonesome every time they ran. Bugger all support play and virtually no 2nd phase. So, wrong game plan or just poor execution??

It's pretty clear that the physical contest in both games against Melbourne were won by Melbourne. It's not a simple case of completion rates (though it helps to complete). Most contact when we have the ball is us getting hammered and struggling for yards and when Melbourne have the ball, it's us hanging on for dear life the slow the ruck down.

We are clearly physically inferior...is that about a lack of intensity or conditioning? I don't know.
Let’s also not forget you have Bernie Sutton watching the game live , sending text messages every 2 minutes to Stephen Kearney in the coaches box and Frank Ponissi on the sideline.

He’s picking apart the refereeing , telling them exactly how many seconds they can hold down for , evaluating what’s being let go ( and what’s not ) and which boundaries they can push and not be pinged.

You gotta give them credit for that , that’s a big reason they win so many games.

PS: I know a lot more about this subject but can’t really divulge it on here. I really think Manly should open the purse strings and employ Matt Checcin on the exact same role. It’s a very very significant advantage.

Last edited:
The team that scores more points than the other team, wins.
I don't really know where to being with this...other than pointing you towards myriad of reasons as to why one team might score more points than other...hence the discussion around game plans and strategy.

For me it's Aoli , Tent, Kelpie, Guac and Jake to start, prop rotation is Marty and Slippers around 20 minutes, Lawton on for Guac after 30 minutes. Aoli for slippers around 50 minutes or so then Tent and Guac for Marty And Lawton when appropriate.
2 interchanges left, obviously no Walker and Lawton available if Frog goes down.
Solid as we will get.
I don't mind that. Kelpie starts for mine too. Lawton needs to stay to cover 9 and have the Shoe in Walkers role. This should leave space for one more middle giving us a little more size.

Rather obvious game plan to most on here but did not happen. Not sure if the boys had a different game plan or simply did not execute. From the evidence in the game, sadly got to conclude this was NOT in our game plan. Especially knowing the Storm were going to ambush Turbo out wide, you would think we would have had the balance of the spine attacking the middles?? Again fairly obvious play but cant remember DCE, Foran or Lawton doing this during the game. Most of our middle forwards were on their lonesome every time they ran. Bugger all support play and virtually no 2nd phase. So, wrong game plan or just poor execution??
There was times during the game storm had 7 or 8 players defending one side of the posts opposite Turbo and stupid Manly still went that way. There was holes galore on the other side, I actually think we are better off playing away from Turbo somewhat. This would then spread the defensive line out again which is when Turbo can then inject himself. No sense playing to him if the defence is stacked opposite him.

Obviously Bennett is a special coach but I think last night's match and our performance on Friday night really exposes the flaws in Manly's game plan this season. As long as I have watched RL, defence wins big matches....moments win big matches...the grind wins big matches (yes, even the 40-0 GF was 8-0 at halftime).

I just don't see how our razzle dazzle football is ever going to be the catalyst for success in big games. It's entertaining but it's not effective when defences tighten up and the refs put the whistle away. There is enough natural talent and ability in our squad that an attack focused mentality is completely unnecessary. You'll jag points with the likes of Tom and DCE in the team. We just need the team to get us into the rhythm of the game and win some rucks and get some field position off the back of strong defence and line speed. The points will just come.

I fear, until our approach to the game changes and we trust our pack to take on the teams in the middle and improve our completion rates, we haven't got much hope against top shelf sides in big games. You're just not going to blow them off the park with shifts to the edges.
You need backrow players like Bromwich, Brown, Finucane, Yeo. Papalili, Radley. Tough hard hit men who do the dirty work. I'm afraid that basketballers like Schuster and Olakuatu won't cut it in the defensive grind of finals games.

Sent it through already. Game Plan is score more points than the Roosters

Above everything, Manly's Forwards need to step up if we are to beat the Rooters.

Manly also need to use their bench better. Only 5 Interchanges used against Storm (admittedly we got an HIA which can potentially count for 2 interchanges, but they are opportunistic not necessary interchanges).

Sironen had only 12mins, Keppie only 26mins and Tent 32mins - versus a Storm team using both their bench fwds for 40+mins and full 8 interchanges. Welch was the least-used Fwd at 36mins (exception of Cheese who was injured after about 20mins). It's no wonder our forwards got owned.

Jurbo and Schuster played the full 80 - which they do a lot, but not when we are at 39% possession against a well-drilled team completing at 90%.

Rooters have a solid pack, which is arguably better than ours - JWH/Liu/Crichton/Radley/Tupouniua - this is a solid pack that has won premierships, and will lay a solid platform for them.

Aloiai/Marty/Schuster/Jurbo/Guac need a much better impact as a unit than against the Storm, where they were simply collectively ineffective - not enough hitups, paltry metres, too many missed/ineffective tackles, ill discipline, and badly rotated with bench on the whole (with some exceptions of course). Tent added a bit off the bench when he came on, but he had only 32mins. I would perhaps look at starting Tent or Keppie, and move Aloiai to the bench.

Really is imperative for our pack to be dirty on themselves for how they matched-up against the Storm, as it just snowballed from being dominated up-front to every other aspect of the game.

Above everything, Manly's Forwards need to step up if we are to beat the Rooters.

Manly also need to use their bench better. Only 5 Interchanges used against Storm (admittedly we got an HIA which can potentially count for 2 interchanges, but they are opportunistic not necessary interchanges).

Sironen had only 12mins, Keppie only 26mins and Tent 32mins - versus a Storm team using both their bench fwds for 40+mins and full 8 interchanges. Welch was the least-used Fwd at 36mins (exception of Cheese who was injured after about 20mins). It's no wonder our forwards got owned.

Jurbo and Schuster played the full 80 - which they do a lot, but not when we are at 39% possession against a well-drilled team completing at 90%.

Rooters have a solid pack, which is arguably better than ours - JWH/Liu/Crichton/Radley/Tupouniua - this is a solid pack that has won premierships, and will lay a solid platform for them.

Aloiai/Marty/Schuster/Jurbo/Guac need a much better impact as a unit than against the Storm, where they were simply collectively ineffective - not enough hitups, paltry metres, too many missed/ineffective tackles, ill discipline, and badly rotated with bench on the whole (with some exceptions of course). Tent added a bit off the bench when he came on, but he had only 32mins. I would perhaps look at starting Tent or Keppie, and move Aloiai to the bench.

Really is imperative for our pack to be dirty on themselves for how they matched-up against the Storm, as it just snowballed from being dominated up-front to every other aspect of the game.
Definitely. Forwards have to start fast, play as a pack and confront. Agree with bench rotation but tbh that didn't factor in against the storm. We'd conceded 3 tries before we made a change so the start is very, very important

Let’s also not forget you have Bernie Sutton watching the game live , sending text messages every 2 minutes to Stephen Kearney in the coaches box and Frank Ponissi on the sideline.

He’s picking apart the refereeing , telling them exactly how many seconds they can hold down for , evaluating what’s being let go ( and what’s not ) and which boundaries they can push and not be pinged.

You gotta give them credit for that , that’s a big reason they win so many games.

PS: I know a lot more about this subject but can’t really divulge it on here. I really think Manly should open the purse strings and employ Matt Checcin on the exact same role. It’s a very very significant advantage.
Really interesting. Hadn’t thought of a role outside the training paddock but it makes complete sense. And goes a long way toward explaining how they confidently laid all over us for the first three tackles of every set.

Really interesting. Hadn’t thought of a role outside the training paddock but it makes complete sense. And goes a long way toward explaining how they confidently laid all over us for the first three tackles of every set.
Seriously , I’m talking a text every 2-3 minutes on every aspect of every game and every referee.

You gotta give it to them , they are well ahead of the game.

Not a big reason just one of multiple attention to detail reasons.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8