Game management

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Snake

Snake's Alive!
Two weeks in a row our forwards have been outdone by the opposition pack and DCE has had his issues. It all comes back to game management (which is what Dessie is trying to articulate in the press conferences). Sure, there are better back 5's and there are better back rows in the competition but what is costing us is a lack of game management. We are not going to start competing better simply because Parker goes back to ISP and we bring Funa in or Fainu starts, or Tom T comes back from injury or any other hypothetical you can toss up. We might have a better chance of winning tight games with Tom T back but the core issue is a lack of game management, not the roster.

The roster will determine our ability to compete for the premiership but it is not going to dictate our ability to compete in matches. We were not able to compete at times last night because of our lack of game management. Forwards get tired and are gassed but the average punter does not consider this and simply thinks that from the 1st minute to the 80th minute, defensive choices, energy and aggression are obtainable if the player simply wants it. Truth is, the pack cannot match the opposition for energy and aggression if the halves are not kicking to the corners, earning repeat sets, telling players what to do and directing the team around the park. Sure the forwards could be better but they are currently hamstrung by the halves...It is easy to listen to commentators who like to tell you that halves struggle when the pack are not laying a platform but so many times last night we were in good field position and we handed the opposition the ball with the most horrendous 5th tackle options. Also, we would ruck it out to halfway and then kick the ball 20m along the ground or straight down Teddy's throat. Not good enough. That's the halves not the pack.

For better or worse, this is not DCE's go. You cannot make a square peg fit a round hole. The best way to sum up our situation is to look at other halves in the competition; Milford and Nikorima are struggling because they are similar type players, Souths are doing well because Reynolds is a director and Walker is a free spirit. Daly is our free spirit and unfortunately, Elgey is not an organiser. He is a good player outside an organiser but he is a poor signing when you consider what we already have at Manly.

Therefore, Hodkinson needs to come back into the side, play 7 and direct the team around. Kick and talk. Then we might have a chance.

I noticed a real trend with top sides defensively early
I bring this up, as if your not competing defensively first up, the attacking flow will suffer in a snowball effect.
Here is my analysis which may sound dumb, but watch it for yourself from Storm, Souths and Roosters.
When making contact, the rule has been reload the defensive line ASAP.
This still the case, however, these top sides will actually have ANY player close to the contact will not retreat but the opposite- will join the wrestling doggy pile and then have more time to control the tackled player.
This may in some cases even shorten a defensive line, but if set and coming up can slide or close down attacking shifts....or better still...be up in the face of the next ball carrier.
Attack will work on an improved defence.
Well that’s my game management

If anyone needs an example of the value of game management look at the Tigers. Three great options in Brooks Farah and Benji. No double teaming or stacking one side in defence.

I had them as my smokies in the eight because of this and a classy speedy backline.

It’s a different game totally when you have left right and middle covered with playmakers plus guys like Matterson and Mbye who can chip in confidently on the edges or with a kick.Five guys - at the moment we have one , two if Fainu plays until a five eight steps up.

Last edited:
If anyone needs an example of the value of game management look at the Tigers. Three great options in Brooks Farah and Benji. No double teaming or stacking one side in defence.

I had them as my smokies in the eight because of this and a classy speedy backline.

It’s a different game totally when you have left right and middle covered with playmakers plus guys like Matterson and Mbye who can chip in. Five guys - at the moment we have one , two if Fainu plays until a five eight steps up.
We should of signed matterson!

Therefore, Hodkinson needs to come back into the side, play 7 and direct the team around. Kick and talk. Then we might have a chance.

This may be hard as DCE is the captain and ergo, other players will take their cues from him. This may be the first problem to be addressed.

As for Hodkinson... he has not yet excelled in the halves at any point since he signed with us last year. His lateral movement is also pretty poor and this causes issues with his defence.

But it is also worth pointing out that he can't demonstrate his worth to Des if he does not get game time with Blacktown either.

My game management is check the weather forecast before venturing onto Brookie Hill.
Taking an umbrella is a wiser choice than adding a second hooker to the bench.
At my age one hooker is more than enough.
My game management was a nightmare. Youngest and wife went to the car once the heavy rains came. Teenage daughter and friend in bleachers somewhere. Teenage son and gf somewhere in the ground or at maccas. Me sitting in rain wondering how to round them
all up. People think dce is up against it.

Still a lack of leadership in the team along with DCE not owning the advantage line and pushing his forwards to move up with him on either hip during sets.(obviously not a leader or one to direct traffic into the right areas)

With a lack of class and attacking options or weapons in our team Manly have to hone and own the fundamentals in the game to have half a chance in the grind, Manly lack confidence and limited in the variety of lateral movement plays to break the grind or seize the upper hand by manufacturing points.

Going to be a looooong season and some tough choices need to be made to move this squad forward going off what i saw yesterday.

This may be hard as DCE is the captain and ergo, other players will take their cues from him. This may be the first problem to be addressed.

As for Hodkinson... he has not yet excelled in the halves at any point since he signed with us last year. His lateral movement is also pretty poor and this causes issues with his defence.

But it is also worth pointing out that he can't demonstrate his worth to Des if he does not get game time with Blacktown either.
Hodkinson's defence is a concern but he is a decent organiser with a solid kicking game. He almost grabbed the 6 for rd.1 but Elgey pipped him at the post.

One of my biggest pet hates is the slide/crab across field dummy to the first under go forward runner then pass to the second, Manly do this way too often and it doesn't promote straightness as a core focus.

Melb will have several straight running options in most go forward plays while trying to minimize as best as possible any form of under plays in the go forward sets.

It appears Bellamy really clamps down and hates the use of under plays as it shows you are devoid of ideas and goes against his play straight mantra.

Crabbing side ways and hitting the second under runner then pointing your fingers around as if you are trying to create some game management options on the next play is cringe worthy to watch.

Still a lack of leadership in the team along with DCE not owning the advantage line and pushing his forwards to move up with him on either hip during sets.(obviously not a leader or one to direct traffic into the right areas)

With a lack of class and attacking options or weapons in our team Manly have to hone and own the fundamentals in the game to have half a chance in the grind, Manly lack confidence and limited in the variety of lateral movement plays to break the grind or seize the upper hand by manufacturing points.

Going to be a looooong season and some tough choices need to be made to move this squad forward going off what i saw yesterday.

It’s been a loooooong six years to be honest.

Forwards lay a platform for the halves. Halves provide a kicking game to get the forwards on the front foot.

It's a simple game and we're doing neither.

Absolutely agree TC .It ts rubbish. An unders play way before the advantage line. Is there anything more tasty to a defender than that.

We have been doing it for years.

My game management was a nightmare. Youngest and wife went to the car once the heavy rains came. Teenage daughter and friend in bleachers somewhere. Teenage son and gf somewhere in the ground or at maccas. Me sitting in rain wondering how to round them

When I first read that I read 'youngest wife went to the car'.

We'll try managing this sh1tfest

Me: Manly
Wife: Penrith
Boy 1: Broncos
Girl 1: Cowboys
Girl 2: Titans
Girl 3: Rabbitohs
Boy 2: Manly/Cowboys/Bulldogs @:rolleyes:

Can't afford to DNA test the lot of them!

Kicking game needs to improve more than anything else imo.

Smarter longer kicks to opposition corners and get repeat sets when we are done at the opponent's try line. We need to get better field position and execute better when we are done there.

The Turtles game management has been non existent.

Will be interesting to see how DES goes about changing that up this week.

Problem being Dce is on leadership/ game manager /captain money .I also get the feeling other senior players dont see him as as their Leader either.
He needs to show some consistency soon or Im all for trying to move him on or stripping his captaincy
A Captain is consistent and the organiser.Do it Dce.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • Dan
    Kim Jong Dan

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9