Gambling and the NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
So considering the new tv rights I would assume there will be an increase of gambling advertising on nine (how else are they going to make money)

This just does not sit right to me. You can watch a NRL segment (or listen to one) where there is not a odds check etc.....not forgetting the centerbet promo last year where people got a free jersey for opening an account

Do you think this is something the games needs to address? (and ready for the incoming nanny state PC jibes)

Stevo it is my job (advertising) so I would debate that with you...

It must be a non gambler v gambler thing

I just wonder how influencing it is to people who are on the fence (and might not be able to control how often they gamble)

With you Isz. I'm a non-gambler but I know of a few families who've been destroyed by gambling - primarily pokies but I sometimes wonder if internet gambling will gradually challenge the pokies. And I can't help but wonder about the games that will be thrown by players needing the money because of their own gambling/greed, not to mention referees. Look at the reputation of horse racing - and it's not the horses whose integrity is called into question!!

I don't have a problem with most forms of gambling but don't get me started on poker machines. They are an absolute scourge and I don't understand their attraction.

Wait until next season when you'll no longer have to call up to do live betting and can just do it through the bookies website. Pretty sure new laws are being brought it at the end of this year to allow it and it will send live odds advertising through the roof.

Gambling is an industry which preys on our weaknesses in the same way as drug dealing does.

And ruthlessly causes similar ruin in the lives of the targeted victims and their families.

I have been worried about the way gambling has spread to RL, and that the 'You get your money back if...' style promotions are making it sound like harmless fun.
The NRL has sold out. I don;t like it but it will only get worse.
With gambling comes corruption.

Gambling is nothing like being addicted to nicotine/drugs/alcohol whoever is on the anti gambling parade is a sook.

Anyone who is "addicted" to gambling is full of ****.

I guess Napper you've never taught in a school where kids haven't been fed because gambling has pissed their food away.

hordernnewt said:
I guess Napper you've never taught in a school where kids haven't been fed because gambling has pissed their food away.

Nicotine/Heroin, marijuana etc/ Alcohol - physical and mental addiction.

You mean to tell me people cant sleep at night because they're not pushing a button or feeding 50s in Queen of the nile?

I played pokies for about 18 months. Sometimes putting a weeks pay in. Why? Because i wanted to not because i had to. Now? If i'm at the club i might throw $20 in once in a blue moon.

Its not an addiction.

Downie said:
Wait until next season when you'll no longer have to call up to do live betting and can just do it through the bookies website. Pretty sure new laws are being brought it at the end of this year to allow it and it will send live odds advertising through the roof.

no, there was a legislation change prohibiting the advertising from happening.

they will only be able to give odds pregame and during half time.

from http://www.dbcde.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/149654/Government_Response_to_JSC_Report.pdf

12.101 The committee recommends that the government legislate a total ban of the promotion of live odds both at venues and during the broadcast of a sporting event.
Response: Government announced on 21 January that it is working with the sporting and betting industries to reduce and control the promotion of live odds during sports coverage through amendments to their existing industry codes.
If satisfactory amendments have not been put in place by broadcasters by the end of June 2012, the Australian Government will introduce legislation to ban the promotion of live odds in sporting broadcasts.
The promotion of live odds at venues is a matter for the states and territories and the Government will continue to work with states and territories through the COAG Select Council on Gambling to address this issue.

The problem is those who have a problem. There are millions who enjoy a flutter on the races, pokies or footy and that is all it is to them. There are millions who enjoy a drink but don't get so drunk they get arrested. There hundreds of thousands who use pain killers when it is appropriate. But no, it all has to be stopped because some people can't handle themselves. I'm not saying I don't understand or have sympathy but you can't stop some people from doing stupid things.

ManlyBacker said:
The problem is those who have a problem. There are millions who enjoy a flutter on the races, pokies or footy and that is all it is to them. There are millions who enjoy a drink but don't get so drunk they get arrested. There hundreds of thousands who use pain killers when it is appropriate. But no, it all has to be stopped because some people can't handle themselves. I'm not saying I don't understand or have sympathy but you can't stop some people from doing stupid things.

Hooray for common sense.

I have many friends who are professional punters.

I hate Bet365 ads, anyone here been barred by them because you are winning. I know 4 people who have been barred in the last few months. Well they dont bar you but will only allow you to win $19 on any bet.

My point is plenty make their living form gambling so whats the problem?

bob dylan said:
I have many friends who are professional punters.

I hate Bet365 ads, anyone here been barred by them because you are winning. I know 4 people who have been barred in the last few months. Well they dont bar you but will only allow you to win $19 on any bet.

My point is plenty make their living form gambling so whats the problem?

You serious? What a pack of clowns.(bet365 not your mates)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4