Gambling and the NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'm not a gambler, probably because I'm a tight arse, but I have noticed the last couple of years that having a punt on the footy is getting shoved down our throats. Adds and odds every 5 mins. Doesn't bother me, but I'm sure its having an influence on the next generation of young blokes.
The last group of apprentices we had a work were sitting around on their iphones every break talking about who and what they're gonna bet on and placing bets.

And saying that there's no such thing as an addiction to gambling is BS.

Napper, unbelieveable comment from someone who hasn't a clue. I have watched 2 family members go through hell. It's a mental condition and just because you think it's not a problem, millions of others are living a nightmare. I work with my church in this area and it's pitiful. Your comments are so self centred, you haven't got any empathy for people who are hurting and you probably will never understand what it's about.

I'm not a gambler. It is an expense which I don't need & I'm uncomfortable inviting the amount of this advertising the NRL shows into my home for my 3 primary school-aged kids to absorb.

I can't suggest where else the $$s could come from...I guess that's the clincher for many on the fence. But I think the pendulum has swung too far.

I agree that people have issues with gambling but that happens with quite a lot of things as people have said above. Do we ban everything? Generally people that have gambling problems have addictive personalities and will end up addicted to other things as well. People need to be accountable for their own actions and not blame other factors being the influence on them.

I had a gambling problem last year so I rang the helpline,
Operator: Hello can you hold the line?
Me: yer sure.
Operator: I bet you can't.

I have a big issue with the almost unlimited types of bets you can place on sporting events. Betting on wins/losses/margin is fine but when you can bet on any event within a match it will (and in fact already has) lead to corruption.

We've seen it almost destroy cricket and if such a scandal is ever uncovered in Rugby League I think the game would struggle to survive. Imagine a ref getting busted just talking to some shady bookmaker - it will put a question mark over every game they have officiated and the scrutiny would extend beyond their blatant mistakes to every 50/50 call .

Even if they have done nothing wrong, the tosspot journo's that cover league won't be able to help themselves and will eventually create something from nothing.

Garts said:
I agree that people have issues with gambling but that happens with quite a lot of things as people have said above. Do we ban everything? Generally people that have gambling problems have addictive personalities and will end up addicted to other things as well. People need to be accountable for their own actions and not blame other factors being the influence on them.

The accountability argument is Americanisation of our culture. Lack of empathy for others' struggles is a sure path to a shallower existence.

It is proven that people (and animals) have different susceptibility to addictions. The lame thing to do is to mindlessly blame the victim. The tough thing to do is to recognise the problem and to work together for solutions.

Christol74 said:
I have a big issue with the almost unlimited types of bets you can place on sporting events. Betting on wins/losses/margin is fine but when you can bet on any event within a match it will (and in fact already has) lead to corruption.

We've seen it almost destroy cricket and if such a scandal is ever uncovered in Rugby League I think the game would struggle to survive. Imagine a ref getting busted just talking to some shady bookmaker - it will put a question mark over every game they have officiated and the scrutiny would extend beyond their blatant mistakes to every 50/50 call .

Even if they have done nothing wrong, the tosspot journo's that cover league won't be able to help themselves and will eventually create something from nothing.

I'm not anti-gambling (I used to race greyhounds and 'enjoyed' losing money on my dishlickers) but it has long concerned me that legitimate sports like cricket and football have become gambling opportunities. Horse racing, trots and dogs were created purely to gamble on. They are not sports (despite the reteric about The Sport of Kings). Cricket and football now are being manipulated by gambling. Who would trust the result of a one-day cricket match these days? It's a shame.

Darren said:
I work with my church in this area and it's pitiful. Your comments are so self centred, you haven't got any empathy for people who are hurting and you probably will never understand what it's about.

Really? They turn to jesus and stop gambling??

Well i'll be f***ed.

I might work with the tooth fairy to help me quit smoking...Maybe Santa Claus can help me get off smack too.

Give me a break mate...

I love a punt be it Horses, Dogs Footy but there are far to many betting options for one game of League.

Darren said:
Napper, unbelieveable comment from someone who hasn't a clue. I have watched 2 family members go through hell. It's a mental condition and just because you think it's not a problem, millions of others are living a nightmare. I work with my church in this area and it's pitiful. Your comments are so self centred, you haven't got any empathy for people who are hurting and you probably will never understand what it's about.

Millions of others are living a gambling nightmare because theyre gullible. They think theyre gonna win. Thats why they go to church to cure their made up addiction. Gullible people = Stupid people.

Last night on the game plan it was no more than 2 minutes into the intro when they were asking what the odds where (thanks to their sponsor) on a upcoming game

Fair enough if there needs to be sponsored content but it was bit much...

lsz said:
Last night on the game plan it was no more than 2 minutes into the intro when they were asking what the odds where (thanks to their sponsor) on a upcoming game

Fair enough if there needs to be sponsored content but it was bit much...

It is annoying but hey, youre smart, you dont gamble. Let the gullible gamblers worry about it.

I used to sit in the TAB with my dad and pick horses and he'd back them. I was 5 years old. I am not addicted to horse racing and he wasn't either. Why? Because he wasnt an idiot and gambled beyond his budget.

Funnily enough he wasnt a regular at church either. Maybe Batman stopped him from being a gambler...

Napper I just do not think people are that in control of their actions

Will agree to disagree with you on this one

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7