Gallen Fined $50K & Banned from Rep Fair or Harsh

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Gallen Fined $50K & Banned from Rep

Fair or Harsh ?

The NRL announced today that Cronulla Sharks captain, Paul Gallen will be fined $50,000 for comments he made on social media last week.

In addition, Gallen will be ineligible to be selected for the Australian Kangaroos in 2015 unless he successfully completes a leader’s accountability course. His eligibility will ultimately be determined by an ARLC panel.

CEO Dave Smith, said the tweet on social media was offensive and a clear breach of the Code of Conduct.

It was aggravated by the fact that Gallen, as Captain of the NSW Blues, holds an important leadership position in the game.

A breach notice has been issued to Gallen, giving him seven days to state why the fine should not be imposed.

He will be free to put forward any mitigating factors as part of his response.

Mr Smith said the $50,000 fine was the maximum the NRL could impose on a player for a breach of the Code of Conduct.

It had been determined in collaboration with the Cronulla Sharks.

Cronulla Sharks Chairman Damian Keogh said the club supported the strong sanctions imposed on Gallen.

“The last two years have been a difficult period for the Sharks and our focus is on performing strongly on and off the field in 2015,” he said.

“So it is disappointing to have the club involved in this sort of issue as we prepare for next season.”

Mr Smith said the NRL would also discuss the NSW captaincy issue with the NSWRL which is responsible for Origin selection.

“Origin is one of our flagship properties and we do not want it to be undermined in any way,” he said.

The NRL will not make any further comment on the matter until Gallen has had a chance to respond to the breach notice.

Harsh, he shoulda got that for being a drug cheat....not for telling the truth.

dave smith sux

Wow the NRL have finally done something right.

But my question is if they do Gallen for this, why was there no sanction against Thurston who openly questioned the integrity of the NRL about a Sydney conspiracy about the cowpokes not being allowed to win a comp??

Umm breath of hypocrisy me thinks!!

Is this gals way of trying to justify possibly getting out of the sharks? Club in crisis ....asada....is it all too much for gal in the shire ? He couldn't be that thick to think these comments wouldn't cost him money or maybe even position ? Does he care anymore ? Reckon he'd leave the gummys if given the chance ?

I think there's a very good chance he might leave Cronulla if the ASADA backwash is anything to go by.

Question for my fellow Silvertails:

If you were the Penn's would you give Gal a call? IMO Gallen in a Manly side would make us VERY hard to beat next year.

Considering he hasn't really had the class around him I think a player of his caliber would really suit the Manly toughness.

Just throwing it out there as he seems to be quite regretful he did not join Manly back in 2011 when he had the chance.

Supesy said:
I think there's a very good chance he might leave Cronulla if the ASADA backwash is anything to go by.

If you were the Penn's would you give Gal a call? IMO Gallen in a Manly side would make us VERY hard to beat next year.

Considering he hasn't really had the class around him I think a player of his caliber would really suit the Manly toughness.

Just throwing it out there as he seems to be quite regretful he did not join Manly back in 2011 when he had the chance.

absolutely not. Overrated glory hog. Would get in the way and try and get the ball 3 times a set. It's easy to look good at Cronulla.

Seems within the NRL you can say or do what you like.....but criticise the league bosses and you're gonna pay.

I'm no fan of Paul Gallen, but I honestly think this one is harsh.

Dont like Gallen at all....

however stating the truth has obviously offended certain people...

thats why the 50K... very harsh

Supesy said:

God no. No to grubs. Period.

I think he might suffer from the same form slump that affected Robbie O'Davis. (ie once he was caught, he was never the same player). At this stage of his career and where Manly are at as a club, I think there are better options.

There were reports today that he's been suffering from depression. May have something to do with the lack of judgement

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6