Fury over Sea Eagles clipping

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SilentBob

Bencher
Fury over Sea Eagles clipping
Adam Lucius

13Jan07

MILLIONAIRE Sea Eagles owner Max Delmege has angrily clashed with licensed club boss Paul Cummings after the leagues club drastically cut its funding to the NRL side eight weeks out from the 2007 season.

It's understood the Manly League Club will tip in around $500,000 this year - a 50 per cent reduction on the $1 million it injected in 2006.

While the funding cut will have no immediate effect on the football team, three administrative staff members have already accepted redundancy packages as a result of immediate belt tightening.

Cummings, the League Club chairman, has made no apology for the move, indicating the days of large grants from his organisation were over. He said the onus was on Manly's majority shareholders - Max Delmege and Scott Penn - to ensure the football club was sufficiently funded.

``The club is operated by two private businessmen and what they do is their own business,'' Cummings said yesterday.

``It's not up to us to build up the coffers of the two owners. Max and the Penns bought the company and one would think they'd run it in a way that costs the least amount of money. If they can't run their budgets properly that's got nothing to do with us.''

But Delmege, who estimates he has poured in $10 million to keep the Sea Eagles afloat, last night claimed the licensed club had stabbed its sister organisation in the back. ``When the second shareholder (Penn) came aboard they promised to maintain their funding at a certain level, so to renege on that is not only rough but it's wrong,'' Delmege said.

As someone who has spent around $10 million and came to the rescue of the football club, I find the leagues club's move very disappointing,'' Delmege said.

``And it's especially disappointing when they can afford it. The leagues club was borne out of the football club to help fund the football club.''

Cummings revealed the licensed club faced its own battles as increased poker machine tax, new smoking laws and competition from rivals clubs continued to hit hard. And he issued a stinging response to suggestions the leagues club had kneecapped the football club.

``I'd be a little disappointed if people are putting out rumours that we're not paying our way because that's not true,'' Cummings said.

``We are paying our propagation. It varies from year to year . . . it goes up and it goes down. If anyone says anything different you'd have to put the letters L I A R in front of it.

``The Leagues Club has given 85 per cent of its profits over the past 15 years to the football club. The leagues club doesn't have to stand up to anybody - it's proven itself over the years. We've had a couple of lean years but no one at the leagues club is talking about cutting propagation.''

Manly CEO Grant Mayer was pragmatic about the funding cut, saying: ``We've just got to deal with the cards we've been dealt and look at alternative revenue streams.
''But it's business as usual for the football team''

Methinks the $500,000 would be better spent on renovations than some of the clowns that are "administrating" the football club at the moment.

A long term approach to this is needed.

``It's not up to us to build up the coffers of the two owners. Max and the Penns bought the company and one would think they'd run it in a way that costs the least amount of money. If they can't run their budgets properly that's got nothing to do with us.''

Crikey, Cummings really is a diplomat isn't he 8|

I dare say that these comments are the result of recent 'discusssions' by the relevant parties. I agree with Cummings, if you want to own the team, take reposnsibility! Most NRL leagues clubs have reduced their grants in recent times so it was only a matter of time it happend to us...

Geeez if Max is relying on 'promises' (ie Manly Leagues contributing $1.0m a year), to conduct his business affairs that is a concern. Get it in writing Maxi then you wouldn't have to bitch....

Aaron from MSE is saying money is so much of a concern, that live updates may be an issue !!! Crikey !!! It's a worry.

Brookvale Leagues Club is a dinasour. They definitely need to upgrade the joint. I hope this helps.

Manly's League's club has been renowned for paying less to their associated football club than others.

Do we need to be concerned about the club financially?

Aaron from MSE is saying money is so much of a concern, that live updates may be an issue !!! Crikey !!! It's a worry.

Brookvale Leagues Club is a dinasour. They definitely need to upgrade the joint. I hope this helps.

Manly's League's club has been renowned for paying less to their associated football club than others.

............................................................... :roll:

Hey Ryan, since you are a big wig in the banking sector & are astute in all matters financial, could you please let us all here at ST know the response you get from Grant Mayer to the question you directed too him today about if the club is financially in trouble and if you need to be concerned about its financial position ?

If you could let us all know straight away that would be great. Thanks.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

the league's club cant compete with other clubs facilities around the area, there is no atmosphere there and the place is so run down its a joke, there is always some talk of knocking the place down and building a new club which is a fantastic idea, how they get funding and go about this is another thing.

[quote author=Ryan]

............................................................... :roll:

Hey Ryan, since you are a big wig in the banking sector & are astute in all matters financial, could you please let us all here at ST know the response you get from Grant Mayer to the question you directed too him today about if the club is financially in trouble and if you need to be concerned about its financial position ?

If you could let us all know straight away that would be great. Thanks.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[/quote]

Ryan won't be getting a reply because the thread has been deleted.

It is a pity because I was looking forward to Ryan's response to the bagging that corso pete gave him.

It is all becoming a little pathetic. They had bumper crowds last year and they are still crying poor.

Time for admin to get there act together. Without asking for more handouts. From fans.

Get out there and grab more sponsorship.

I wonder if there is another club/pub on the Beaches that would pay $1million to host 11 post-match functions?

I've always thought this would work:-

1. Sell Manly League's Club to an investor / developer - payout debt, invest the rest in marketting etc for point 2;
2. Amalgamate the beautiful Harbord Diggers and the League's Club (with site at Harbord);
3. This reduces competition;
4. This increases membership for both entities that would now be one - thus increasing revenue;
5. 3 buses (for example) from Brookvale Oval to The Diggers after each game.

I mean, THAT place makes us look like Silvertails. The Outlook is just beautiful.
Obviously staff numbers would reduce as only one venue required. Is actually CLOSER to Manly than Brookvale Leagues.

etc etc...

Remember that the NRL is leaning toward night games...i.e. Friday and Saturday, and most people could just hop a bus from The Diggers and be at Manly in a few minutes...

I've always thought this would work:-
2. Amalgamate the beautiful Harbord Diggers and the League's Club (with site at Harbord);
Only problem, Ryan, is that it is no longer Harbord Diggers but is the Mounties (amalgamated last year).
The worst part is that Mounties sponsor the Eels. :roll: :naughty:

If I remember correctly the Diggers and Leagues clubs investigated a merger a year or two ago but it couldn't proceed because both clubs have no money.

The Mounties are puting in something like $20m to the diggers to clear debt and upgrade the premises.

Norths leagues club are still trading well and they have plently of money. maybe they will take over the Manly leagues club one day to enable norths to get back into the competition? Plently of money on the lower north shore.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4