Funny stories and amusing anecdotes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I like the one where Freddy Jones met Malcolm Fraser
Malcolm Fraser was introduced to Manly hooker Fred Jones. Fraser asked him what he did for a job." I'm a wharfie" said Fred. "I've got friends who work on the wharves" said Malcolm. "I don't ****in know any of them "

I was at the Leagues Club after a hard Sunday arvo game against St George. I was with my Grandfather ( a Foundation Member ) who said he would introduce me to Freddie.
Fred was downing a schooner when the introduction was made, however he turned around and had a huge wet chuck into the cigarette tray.
He immediately straightened up, wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, which he then extended to me and said in his toothless grin, " nice to meetcha John".

Another would be a completely different situation
As a kid I listened to a Newtown vs Manly game with Frank Hyde commentating.
Manly were down 10-7 in the dying stages and Manly winger Stuart Davis gets the ball 80m out with a clear run up the sideline - cover closing....about 30m out old Frank lost his voice almost having a heart attack and i had to wait 2 minutes for him to get his voice back to confirm the try .....unfortunately Eadie missed the conversion but 10-10 was better than s loss and have remembered that call ever since.
Old Frank Hyde - what a rugby league legend.
I was at that game. Was a very gettable kick too. If memory serves me correctly it was right in front.

I was at that game. Was a very gettable kick too. If memory serves me correctly it was right in front.
I was there too, pretty sure Stuey scored in the corner, I remember Newtown had a few chances to put us away and we hung in there. Later that season we met them in that infamous final.

I was at the Leagues Club after a hard Sunday arvo game against St George. I was with my Grandfather ( a Foundation Member ) who said he would introduce me to Freddie.
Fred was downing a schooner when the introduction was made, however he turned around and had a huge wet chuck into the cigarette tray.
He immediately straightened up, wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, which he then extended to me and said in his toothless grin, " nice to meetcha John".
Arko writes in his book that his job as club secretary got 50% easier the day Freddie retired

I was there too, pretty sure Stuey scored in the corner, I remember Newtown had a few chances to put us away and we hung in there. Later that season we met them in that infamous final.
That was the dustup with our heavyweight Broadhurst who learned from 2 headbutts he was not in a ring....they won the fight and game...:punch:

Out wide Clint- but a great comeback and mad call
Probably better to have had the brawl in that game instead of the latter season elimination final's match . Had the side that year to beat Newtown in normal circumstances and would have been a decent match for the Eels in the G F in 81 .

Fair enough. Could have sworn I was at a game at Henson Park and Eadie had a kick from right in front and butchered it. I was right behind the goal posts. Half the squad was sick with the flu. Come on, someone help me here ;)

Fair enough. Could have sworn I was at a game at Henson Park and Eadie had a kick from right in front and butchered it. I was right behind the goal posts. Half the squad was sick with the flu. Come on, someone help me here ;)
I actually did see the Wombat miss a kick in front, Against the filth dogs at Belmore and it was a game we lost 11-10 so it was a crucial miss as it turned out. Funniest one I saw was Foran bugger it up against the Vermin a couple of years back, seems he was cursed the moment he turned on our club!

A second hand story - can't remember who I heard it from. Apparently, Ian Roberts was having a beer at Brookie Pub (or some other salubrious establishment) when an intoxicated Manly lower grader/sometimes first grader approached and asked if it was true that he was gay (in more colorful language, as you would imagine). Roberts didn't reply, but the player kept asking. On the third occasion, Roberts stood up & decked him with one punch. Later, that player complained to his father about the incident. His father, the first grade coach, replied 'If you're going to pick a fight, son, do it with someone your own size'. :) (some may have heard this story before)

Last edited:
No story but
Solomon huamono and the pleasure machine

How can we ever forget The Pleasure Machine

I wonder which lucky guy is in Isolation with her ?

506855af445a1d0462ed86d5016b7fa2.jpg

Could be an urban myth but i did hear this story around 50 years ago about Les Johns, a mercurial fullback for Canterbury late 60's. The type of player you hoped wasn't playing against your team on the day. He could win a game on his own. However he suffered a lot of injuries in his career.
The story is his teammates nicknamed him Dandruff...........because he was always dropping out.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4