Front Row Poll

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
I have closed off the second row poll as there was no point keeping it open.

Beaver was a unanimous choice basically and Terry Randall was rightly judged ahead of Crusher Cleal (in my opinion).

We now go to Prop.

What a choice -

Manly's first international and over 15 tests to Roy Bull who was the best prop in his generation.

Dual international Rex Mossop who never took a backward step and was tough as old nails.

The Prop who took Manly from pretenders to Premiers in John O'Neill.

Kevin Ward whose stay was short but again he put the steel into the 87 Premiers.

Gillespie and Carroll were the dominant Props in the 90s and Cement was as his name suggests, a brick wall in defence. Carroll was also hard and tough, who will ever forget his clashes with the Chief.

John Harvey rates a mention in this company and did very well in the late 70s earning a callup to the Kangaroos after the 78 miracle campaign.

Look who has been left out:

My favourite - Mule Hoskings, Ian Magilla Thomson, Mark Broadhurst, Dempsey Joy, Herman Hamilton, and that erstwhile challenger of the early 2000s Jason King :lol: :lol:

Who else have I missed out????

I would have put Ian Roberts in that poll Canteen. As wierd as he is now, he was a great Manly prop.

Wooden and shipway :)

O'meley, he wa good when he played for the Beagles, which kind of counts and got his origin birth whilst there too.

Wooden and Shipway - we will have to pick a Manly worst every team after the Dream team. Adam Hayden, Scott Fulton and Jye Mullane have to have some notoriety for something!!!!!

I would have put Ian Roberts in that poll Canteen. As wierd as he is now, he was a great Manly prop.
Added him. What a great bunch of Props!! Whoever posts with the line that great Props win comps is certainly right!!

King ....... Maybe not this year???? :blaugh:

Two old stagers should be in line for one spot, although most of us here never saw them play - Rex Mossop made the last team announced, while Roy Bull played a staggering 22 tests for Australia.

Also I am surpised Phil Daley didn't make the list

Daley was good but not up with the best if you ask me.

I voted for O'Neill and Bull but Carroll and co have the advantage of being remembered by the younger members of the forum.

I can't believe that John O'Neill isn't top of the list. I rate these guys not only by their Manly form but also by their standing in the international game - which was fair dinkum then.

O'Neill turned a soft pack into a Premiership heavyweight, back in the days when there was no video replay and the gloves were off for the first 20 mins of each game. It was warfare and he was the toughest hombre. Bull and Mossop played back in the days when you wouldn't put a player younger than about 24 on the field as he woulld be bashed out of the game.

Roberts and Caroll for me with Kevin Ward an honourable mention only because he didn't play that much for the club.

We've had some good props over the years, especially when you see the names left off the list. It makes you realise that we are struggling in the front row department at the moment, which may make the difference between being a genuine premiership threat and making up the numbers.

Some of my favourites that aren't on the list and were representative players were Geoff Gerard, Phil Daley and Don McKinnon. Donny would almost get a geurnsey for his services in the field of "playing surface irrigation".

O'Neill, Mossop and Bull are before my time, even memories of John Harvey are sketchy. Therefore since Marty Bella isn't an option ;) I'll go for Chimp and Cement.

O'Neill was an obvious choice for me

then it was tough, i picked Roberts just over Ward and Roy Bull

I can't believe that John O'Neill isn't top of the list. I rate these guys not only by their Manly form but also by their standing in the international game - which was fair dinkum then.

O'Neill turned a soft pack into a Premiership heavyweight, back in the days when there was no video replay and the gloves were off for the first 20 mins of each game. It was warfare and he was the toughest hombre. Bull and Mossop played back in the days when you wouldn't put a player younger than about 24 on the field as he woulld be bashed out of the game.

I have just checked this poll and I am astounded that O'Neill is only currently ranked 3rd. With no disrespect to either Carroll or Roberts who currently lead this poll neither of them were anywhere near the class of O'Neill. We won our first premeirship off the back of O'Neill. Wether Carroll or Roberts can make the same claim is debatable.

I guess this is the problem with running a poll. If you never saw O'Neill play it would be difficult to cast a vote for him. I never saw Mossop or Bull play and accordingly they did not get my votes although I would not be surpised to hear that Roy Bull gets a starting spot at the naming of our best team ever.

For those that have not yet cast their vote I urge you to Vote 1 - O"Neill

Written & spoken by Corso Pete on behalf the John O'Neill is our best ever prop society

I never saw O'Neill or bull play but have seen some vision of Mossip. I voted mossip as much for his off the field and later life attitude than anything else

I did see O'Neill play and rate him as one of the best Props ever to play League let alone for Manly.

However we have to go with what the posters say. Carroll and Roberts were good, but not in the same class - Roberts also got involved in Super League and sat out the 96 season and didn't play in a Manly premiership team, unlike the others.

That O'Neill won comps at Souths and when he switched to Manly we were the dominant pack and Premiers says it all.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4