From The Couch - Round 16 Manly News/Rumours

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
http://makingthenut.com/from-the-couch-round-16-5/

From The Couch: Round 16

Filed in From The Couch, NRL by Nick Tedeschi on June 28, 2015 • 2 Comments

Where Will Kieran Go: The Kieran Foran saga is set to drag on well into next week and perhaps even longer as the unlucky five-eighth looks to make some hay with the sun well and truly set. And that won’t be at Parramatta with the Eels delusional if they think they can pull this from the fire.

Why in the ghost of Jack Gibson would Foran go to the Eels? If, by some miracle, he did nut out a deal it would be less a sign of loyalty and more a sign of downright stupidity because there is no way he could arrive and trust the club to do right by him or even the club as a whole and in no way could the money he expected be guaranteed.

Foran is too smart for any of that. He won’t wear the blue and gold. Not now. Not ever. And with him will go the career of Brad Arthur and any chance of a resurgence in the next few years for Parramatta.

His most likely destination is the Sydney Roosters. They have room to move in the cap – a result of preparations to make a play for Jarryd Hayne – and no club is safer with its third party agreements, all to go with the fact they are a destination club and Foran’s best mate is none other than Mitchell Pearce. It is all lining up …

Manly remain a hope but they will need to be extremely creative with their accounting with very little room to move in the cap. They must also deal with the fact they are a club likely in decline and that Foran is very much a part of the old guard with the Stewarts, Steve Matai and Anthony Watmough, a faction that does not think overly highly of Daly Cherry-Evans.

Canterbury and the Gold Coast have also been mentioned as candidates but Foran is long odds to end up at either. The Bulldogs are not in the market for halves and nobody of Foran’s demeanour is heading to the Titans.

Whatever way you look at it though, the Eels and Foran are done and there is nobody to blame outside of Parramatta.

Rumour Mill: There is plenty of controversy brewing at Manly with powerbroker Bob Fulton telling incoming coach Trent Barrett that Fulton’s son Brett will be his assistant. Brett has no coaching experience outside of local junior football – an interesting leap. Many in the club will be less than impressed when it comes to pass. Trent Hodkinson will be out as Canterbury starting halfback post-Origin. He will join the Knights in 2016 to boot it would appear. Cronulla and the Bulldogs are in the mix to sign Canberra outside back Brenko Lee for next season. Zeb Taia is expected to return to the NRL next year and it will be with St George Illawarra. The Titans are making enquiries about signing Rugby player Quade Cooper, a move that would seem remarkably Titans.

Manly Collapse Update: The Sea Eagles have reportedly lost the race for international Greg Bird. Bird is set to join the Raiders in 2016 despite a deal with Manly being virtually done. Manly desperately need hard-headed forwards to add some stiffness to their fragile pack and will be devastated that they couldn’t move the likes of Feleti Mateo quick enough to secure the decorated international.

Referee Power Rankings: Ashley Klein did his utmost to get Parramatta home on Saturday night with some obscene decisions that cost the Dragons two competition points. A day after the Bryson Goodwin try was astonishingly sent upstairs as a no try – despite the fact video refs cannot rule on forward passes – Klein awarded a no try to the Dragons despite the play being clearly legal and backwards. Video ref Shayne Hayne confirmed the decision. It was one of the great stitch-ups.

1. Gerard Sutton (1)

2. Gavin Badger (2)

3. Jared Maxwell (3)

4. Ben Cummins (4)

5. Grant Atkins (6)

6. Gavin Morris (N/A)

7. Matt Cecchin (5)

8. Ashley Klein (7)

Fulton's biggest flaw as a coach was nepotism.

Hope this is mere rumour, and not history repeating.

Missing out on bird is not a bad thing. Great player however we have enough players over 30 as it is.

I agree that Foran cannot be that silly to go to the eels. Kinda his fault for signing there in the first place.

Sportal are reporting that Bird is staying at the Titans. They also reported that Titans made a big play at Hodko as well, he is just rehashing old stories by the looks of it, nothing we haven't heard already really.

I'd thought that Foran would go to Easts who (a) are going to be without a 5/8 next season and (b) have no salary cap. However, when I opinioned this to a fellow Manly support in a bar in Bali while watching the Souffs match, he enlightened me: "It won;t happen. Easts' recruitment manager is Sullivan, and we know the history between the Forans and O'Sullivans...". Interesting.
It turns out this fellow fan is from Bondi - a rare beast - and from the same club as T-Red, who he believes should be Foran's replacement at 5/8 as it was this position he played in his early years.
I wonder if he could be right.

T-Red did play a good game when he had a stint at 5/8 a few weeks ago....though I think he would probably be better as a lock playing a similar role to what Gifty played when he was here.

Brett Fulton as assistant coach? I thought we were trying to move forwards, not drag ourselves backwards.

I too am not fussed if we miss out on Bird. I'm still not sure why we're after him really. Another over 30 forward who's best days are behind him.

If Foran does go to the Speels then more fool him. He'd be much better off staying at Manly or failing that, moving to the Rorters. Going to Parra-doesn't-matta would be a career killer, even for him.

With contracted players like Feleti Mateo not safe....I think it's fair to say we are probably on the look out for at least another couple of forwards. Add them and another season of experience to our young blokes and we will be back in the hunt again.....Lesser clubs would disappear into the abyss after years of dominance. ;)

Hope this assistant coach thing is just a bad rumour. Not worried about Bird though.

Well of course with all this talk of releasing players comes the inescapable fact of having to pay for players released by the Club whilst they remain under contract, whilst enticing others to join. We all know where that can end - just ask Parramatta. So I would take as a 'pinch of salt' that sort of talk. If you released say Burgess and Mateo from the final year of their respective deals, that could be around 200-400k the Club is out of pocket, whilst still being included in the cap. Not a good outcome.

With contracted players like Feleti Mateo not safe....I think it's fair to say we are probably on the look out for at least another couple of forwards. Add them and another season of experience to our young blokes and we will be back in the hunt again.....Lesser clubs would disappear into the abyss after years of dominance. ;)
I'd like to see them keep Mateo,if not for anything else than still paying him whilst he's at another club or having to pay out his contract.He's played more good games than Horo,Lui and Symonds.The problem for him is that he gets assessed harder than the others because of how good he could be.He needs to lose weight though

I'd rather get rid of Foran and sign a prop with the money even the great Clifford Lyons looked bad if our forwards went backwards . On brett Fulton I suppose tezza hill will be next being bozos son in law.

I'd like to see them keep Mateo,if not for anything else than still paying him whilst he's at another club or having to pay out his contract.He's played more good games than Horo,Lui and Symonds.The problem for him is that he gets assessed harder than the others because of how good he could be.He needs to lose weight though
Agree 100%. He has made a difference when he's been fully (for Mateo) fit. Mateo is not our packs problem.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6