Friendly Fire on here of late..

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I love you all :h:
the-fact-that-i-cant-have-you-makes-me-want-you-even-more-quote-1.jpg

You said all. Does that include me?
Not sure WHAT I'm opening myself up to here, but should be fun ;)
Ryan of course that means you, I have to admit I love to light a little fire beneath you, but I know it is cruel and I wont do it anymore. XXX

Is this about the time we should all gather together for a rendition of Kumbaya. I mean if there is love stuff going around, I want my cut.

I'll bring my guitar to the next Silvertails gathering and we can all hold hands and sing it together, it'll be very sweet!!

@BOZO can lead us off!!

Been thinking guys, what do we do in todays game with player attachment?

I'm finding myself bitter when guys like Lawrence, Gutherson, Ballin and others are being let go. I understand change is necessary, but how does one not get attached to players?

And I could just see @BOZO speech when leading us off @Mark from Brisbane :
"Feathered Friends, we are gathered here to celebrate the success of The manly Sea Eagles. I would like the congregation to turn to page 24 of their form guides, and circle of they will, Manly's odds of winning the Premiership this year".

hahahaha

Been thinking guys, what do we do in todays game with player attachment?

I'm finding myself bitter when guys like Lawrence, Gutherson, Ballin and others are being let go. I understand change is necessary, but how does one not get attached to players?
It's tough... keep them at arms length... don't attend any fan engagement stuff with the players... harden the heart... i don't know :(

It's the end of an era, I'll be surprised if we ever see one like it again.

Players are just " pawns" and we are just " customers", soon " virtual crowds" will take over.

All that's left is to just enjoy them whilst they are here but have zero expectations of that being long term.

I'll bring my guitar to the next Silvertails gathering and we can all hold hands and sing it together, it'll be very sweet!!

@BOZO can lead us off!!
Here we go .....
Manly Warringah, Manly Warringah
We’ll all be marching beside you this year
And our voice will be heard
From Brookvale to the ANZ
We’ll all be marching beside you this year
302261-4bdc49ca-1262-11e4-9633-5d2eb5bc90d6.jpg

Players are just " pawns" and we are just " customers", soon " virtual crowds" will take over.

All that's left is to just enjoy them whilst they are here but have zero expectations of that being long term.
They can't take our history away Mark....oh wait S H I T!!

You know Mark I thought those same things when the 1990's era ended and we were forced to be the Northern Eagles, then looked what happened.

I agree it is the end of an era, but a new one is beginning as we speak. We will not see the playing roster upheaval like this any time soon. Whether you realise it or not our standards had slipped badly and a renewal was needed. I for one don't see that happening again and I am 100% comfortable with developing the usual player attachments.

Hopefully we all live long enough to see the end of many eras. And hopefully each time we will get better at realising its part and parcel. It can be tough at times . Its just a life thing. When you look at the squad, the team the players, it was always going to happen, regardless of who owned the team

While foran wasnt old we would be worried about 2 million dollar halves in a salary cap

They just may have helped us dodge a bullet. Better one year early than one year late is a sporting term defined tnrough the ages, in all sports.

Sport is emotional, more so for some . Emotion is not always welcome in these decisions

There's no doubt it's the " Challenge of Change" and we've seen more in one year than we have in the last decade ( maybe not but you know what I mean).

But as @The Wheel has stated most of the change was well and truly needed.

Now we just have to win more games than we did in 2015, preferably a LOT more!!

A lot of this player attachment business comes down to how the player is performing for the club...I love Matt Ballin and I think he used to be the second best rake in the game but that was three seasons ago...I still like him and wish him all the best but I am comfortable with his exit because these guys can't play forever and I want to see Manly challenging at the pointy end of the season each year.

I agree with Rex...change is enivitable and as adults we have to face that truth whether we like it or not. Glass half full says we have a great team to support next season and I choose to look forward to that as opposed to mourning the loss of past players. Outside of Toovey and Ballin, the rest were two to three year players anyway.

Personally I have no serious concern with the Club trying to rebuild, and that takes sacrifices. It doesnt mean we are thinking less of those players who gave us such joy over the past decade and they will be remembered by us and the club and worthy members of the history of the Sea Eagles.

But all players reach a stage where their performances are going to drop off and hard decisions have to be made. I have no problem with that and players like Ballin, Glenn Stewart, Kite, Watmough have lost little by transferring to other clubs where they are continuing to be of service and make money Manly couldnt offer them. Gutherson was let go because he wants to play full back as I understand it and Manly couldnt offer that. Hiku will be assured of success elsewhere and probably play in a position he prefers. But Walker is faster, more creative and better suited to 5/8 even if that's temporary and he later moves to centre. And Tom T. MUST play firsts next season, so someone has to miss out.

The thing is this has happened for decades with Manly. I remember the supporter anger when Vautin was let go, when Fulton went to Easts, Hasler to Wests, Eadie to Halifax. Manly is a team since the 70s demanding success. Success is not achieved through sentimentality ,but rather through good financial and talent picking nous.

Having said that, I think for me the Penns are damned lucky they got Fulton on board because I think they were going no where. Fulton knows his business and is in the Arthurson mold. I think one day Toovey will follow in their footsteps. My only real gripe was the way the Toovey matter was handled. I'm not even that upset that Manly are trying something new with Barrett. It was the DISRESPECT that angered me about the Penn's actions with Toovey. And it is that I cant forgive, even though in other respects they may be doing what's best for Manly. I compare it with how George Piggins was treated at Souths. Disgraceful even despite the success that followed and I think they are now realising their mistake.

Hard decisions have to be made. But disrespect in how Toovey was handled is almost unforgivable even if the decision itself may have had merit.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • lsz
    First Grader
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8