Forwards

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I have liked what the big boppers have been doing. The negative, if I can do that in this positive thread, is that overall the game was pedestrian. I never felt we were really going to get the points needed on the scoreboard. It is terrific that they held their own against a very good dogs' pack and three weeks in means there is a long way to go. I'm not sure who will have the big X factor in the pack to break a game open. But I can only be hopeful that it is there somewhere.

Mateo could be the x factor after Foz gets back. Play him on both sides of the ruck and have him running on the edges similar to beaver's old role with Cliffy.

Dogs were in 2nd gear all night. don't count your chickens, but you can only play whats in front of you.
I was always led to believe you play as good as the opposition lets you.

I personally believe our forwards matched it, if not went one better, that the Dogs stopping their go forward and second phase play.

The Dogs has adopted the strategy of their forwards playing like halves and creating second phase, in the past few years, which they were unable to do because our forwards stopped them before they could get a roll on. Then again the surface may have had a bit to do with it.

i highly rate out pack and our front rowers. when fully fit we have a mean looking pack, very under rated (loe it how everyone writes us off). Burgess lawrence starling sene lefao mason sao vave at front row is pretty terrifying, add in tom burgess and we'll have one of the most threatening packs in the comp

So what do we think will happen when all of our forwards are available? We have Starling, Lawrence, Leary, and Hasson due back over the coming weeks. I can't see Hasson getting back in now that Jake and Sao have shown good form, I think Starling will come straight back in; although, Toovey might be better served to give him a game or two in NSW Cup.

Luke Burgess, Mason, Mateo, Buhrer, Symonds and Lui are all garaunteed a spot IMO. Which leaves three spots on the bench, with seven contenders. My preference is Jake T, Starling, Sao or JSL. Really tough decisions to be made. JSL is full of enthusiasm and really improved last year - this year he hasn't stood out a great deal (only three games in I know). Lawrence struggled last year and wasn't the same as in 2013. I think he might be struggling with a chronic back injury which won't help his cause.

I want this pack:
8 Mason
9 Ballin
10 Burgess
11 Mateo
12 Symonds
13 Buhrer
---------------
14 Jake T
15 Starling
16 Lui
17 Sao

I think Tooves will pick the same starting line-up with this bench:
14 Starling
15 Lui
16 JSL
17 Lawrence

Thoughts?

So what do we think will happen when all of our forwards are available? We have Starling, Lawrence, Leary, and Hasson due back over the coming weeks. I can't see Hasson getting back in now that Jake and Sao have shown good form, I think Starling will come straight back in; although, Toovey might be better served to give him a game or two in NSW Cup.

Luke Burgess, Mason, Mateo, Buhrer, Symonds and Lui are all garaunteed a spot IMO. Which leaves three spots on the bench, with seven contenders. My preference is Jake T, Starling, Sao or JSL. Really tough decisions to be made. JSL is full of enthusiasm and really improved last year - this year he hasn't stood out a great deal (only three games in I know). Lawrence struggled last year and wasn't the same as in 2013. I think he might be struggling with a chronic back injury which won't help his cause.

I want this pack:
8 Mason
9 Ballin
10 Burgess
11 Mateo
12 Symonds
13 Buhrer
---------------
14 Jake T
15 Starling
16 Lui
17 Sao

I think Tooves will pick the same starting line-up with this bench:
14 Starling
15 Lui
16 JSL
17 Lawrence

Thoughts?
I think Symonds gets put on the bench before Lui does. At full strength I think we'll look like this
8. Mason
9. Ballin
10. Lawrence
11. Mateo
12. Buhrer
13. Lui
Int
14. Burgess
15. Starling
16. Trbojevic
17. Symonds/Sao

I think Symonds gets put on the bench before Lui does. At full strength I think we'll look like this
8. Mason
9. Ballin
10. Lawrence
11. Mateo
12. Buhrer
13. Lui
Int
14. Burgess
15. Starling
16. Trbojevic
17. Symonds/Sao
yeah I tend to agree, although I wouldn't be surprised if Mateo got benched for the simple fact that he can tire and is an "impact" type player. I also get the impression that Toovey really likes Symonds on that edge outside DCE in attack.

There has been ongoing chatter about the need for good forwards in order to give the halves space, and I do agree...but I also think you need good halves even if your forwards work for you; both are equally important.

If you look across the 16 teams in the NRL this weekend, plenty of them had "big name" props, with either SOO or international experience;

Bulldogs - Graham (Eng), Kasiano (NZ)
Broncos - Maguire (Sam), Blair (NZ)
Cowboys - Scott (QLD), Tamou (NSW)
Warriors - Lillyman (QLD), Matulino (NZ)
Parramatta - Mannah (NSW)
Raiders - Papalii (QLD)
Storm - Bromwich (NZ)
Sharks - Fafita (NSW)
Souths - G Burgess (ENG), T Burgess (ENG)
Wests - Woods (NSW), Galloway (NSW)
Titans - Myles (QLD)
Knights - Snowden (NSW),
Roosters - JWH (NZ)
Panthers - McKendry (NZ), Kite (NSW)

Technically Manly had an international prop in Willie Mason, but at 34 and his rep days long passed, you get the drift (ditto Kite).

I guess my point is, we are going need more than one or two good props to compete for a premiership, because just about every team has at least one really good player in the engine room. It's going to come down to smart recruiting in the halves, and the superior Manly culture to get us up the top of the table when Foz and DCE go.

8. Mason
9. Ballin
10. Lawrence
11. Mateo
12. Buhrer
13. Lui
Int
14. Burgess
15. Starling
16. Trbojevic
17. Symonds/Sao
Yeah I put Lui off the bench because he can provide real impact, where as Symonds is more of an 80min type player. Lui has been very good this year so whether starting, or off the bench he'll be a real asset.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8