For the speed freaks ..

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
For those interested in mental arithmatic .. here are the NRL's fastest players in 2022 according to data tracker ...

Saab .. 37.4 kph
Crighton .. 37.4 kph
Dom Young .. 37.3 kph
X Savage .. 36.7 kph
K Ponga .. 36.6 kph
Dufty .. 36.6 kph
Addo-Carr .. 36.1 kph
X Coates .. 35.6 kph
R Mulitalo .. 35.4 kph
V Vailea .. 35.4 kph
Isaako .. 35.3 kph
K Naiqama .. 35.2 kph
Tolutau Koula .. 35.1 kph .

So, at those speeds, Saab would run the 100m in 9.62 secs.
And Koula would run the 100m in 10.25 secs.

But those fiqures are their top speeds and do not allow for a stationary start .. so how much time should we add/adjust those fiqures by?

If we take Usain Bolt's record breaking run of 9.63 secs for the 100m as a guide .. we can apply the following estimates ...
His top speed during the run was 44.72 kph .. which would have resulted in a 100m time of 8.05 secs ..
However his average speed over the 100m was 37.58 kph ... resulting in a time of 9.63 ..
So, the difference is 1.58 secs in times ..

So, if we apply the same formulae to the data tracker fiqures provided .. then Saab's
adjusted 100m time would be 11.2 secs .. and Koula's adjusted time would be 11.83 secs.

PSS ... and yes I do not know the accuracy of data tracker, and yes I know they have on football boots and running on different length of grasses with different wind conditions and carrying a football .. all while humming jingle bells.

It certainly puts paid to the myth that Addo-Carr is the fastest man in RL - he can't be if he has 6 blokes in front of him......:rock:

Thank you @Woodsie for giving all of us that doze of speed stimulation this morning
Speed is exhilarating
Speed thrills

Have a Thrilling day feathered friends
God Speed to you all

There is no Saabstitute for speed
Speed is cocaine on the footy field
The faster you go the bigger the slower mediocre mess you leave behind
Speed Kills !!!
Visual search query image

For those interested in mental arithmatic .. here are the NRL's fastest players in 2022 according to data tracker ...

Saab .. 37.4 kph
Crighton .. 37.4 kph
Dom Young .. 37.3 kph
X Savage .. 36.7 kph
K Ponga .. 36.6 kph
Dufty .. 36.6 kph
Addo-Carr .. 36.1 kph
X Coates .. 35.6 kph
R Mulitalo .. 35.4 kph
V Vailea .. 35.4 kph
Isaako .. 35.3 kph
K Naiqama .. 35.2 kph
Tolutau Koula .. 35.1 kph .

So, at those speeds, Saab would run the 100m in 9.62 secs.
And Koula would run the 100m in 10.25 secs.

But those fiqures are their top speeds and do not allow for a stationary start .. so how much time should we add/adjust those fiqures by?

If we take Usain Bolt's record breaking run of 9.63 secs for the 100m as a guide .. we can apply the following estimates ...
His top speed during the run was 44.72 kph .. which would have resulted in a 100m time of 8.05 secs ..
However his average speed over the 100m was 37.58 kph ... resulting in a time of 9.63 ..
So, the difference is 1.58 secs in times ..

So, if we apply the same formulae to the data tracker fiqures provided .. then Saab's
adjusted 100m time would be 11.2 secs .. and Koula's adjusted time would be 11.83 secs.

PSS ... and yes I do not know the accuracy of data tracker, and yes I know they have on football boots and running on different length of grasses with different wind conditions and carrying a football .. all while humming jingle bells.
Also doesn't take into account speed off the mark. I'd imagine Tolu would top that list. He's astonishing there. Must have a diet high in fast twitch fibres.

I know you've already mentioned it but yeah, top speed doesn't give an indication of speed over distance. If Koula was to sustain his top of 35.1 for longer than say Dom Young's 37.3, Koula would appear the faster of the two. Also, I've noticed that players don't always get the opportunity to run at top speed because circumstances in the game don't allow it. For example, last night Koula went through the line but then slowed down to look for support and was eventually tackled by Ponga. If he got through there and had a clear path to the line, with someone chasing from behind, he might have stretched out and reached a faster top speed.

Also, having worked with sprint coaches, a guy like Koula would have been trained to get into a rhythm when running, to avoid what is called 'over striding' which eventually slows you down. You'll often see untrained runners, really push themselves to run fast (which can mean their initial speed is full of power) but eventually they over stride and slow down. You can see a guy like Saab looks effortless and doesn't over stride, he just gets into a rhythm and away he goes.

Bit surprised Crichton is so high up (presumably Stephen not angus). All the others are known speedsters, Crichton is obviously quick but I didn't realise he's top shelf quick.

Bit surprised Crichton is so high up (presumably Stephen not angus). All the others are known speedsters, Crichton is obviously quick but I didn't realise he's top shelf quick.
He's just another sample to indicate the limited nature of such a statistic. I've seen Crichton run down by forwards. He is not lightening by any stretch. However, the tracker measures velocity so it's a split second of power. He's a big, powerful guy so the tracker obviously picks up a burst but he must only maintain that top speed for a nano-second.

Some other interesting stats:

Jake leads the NRL for 'player in support' with 128. The next is Gutho with 125 and Dylan Edwards with 116. That shows the effort off the ball.

Also, Zac Lomax with most negative plays and handling errors. He was up to his old tricks yesterday, throwing ridiculous no look flick passes in his own half. I hope he does a few of them next week.

I know you've already mentioned it but yeah, top speed doesn't give an indication of speed over distance. If Koula was to sustain his top of 35.1 for longer than say Dom Young's 37.3, Koula would appear the faster of the two. Also, I've noticed that players don't always get the opportunity to run at top speed because circumstances in the game don't allow it. For example, last night Koula went through the line but then slowed down to look for support and was eventually tackled by Ponga. If he got through there and had a clear path to the line, with someone chasing from behind, he might have stretched out and reached a faster top speed.

Also, having worked with sprint coaches, a guy like Koula would have been trained to get into a rhythm when running, to avoid what is called 'over striding' which eventually slows you down. You'll often see untrained runners, really push themselves to run fast (which can mean their initial speed is full of power) but eventually they over stride and slow down. You can see a guy like Saab looks effortless and doesn't over stride, he just gets into a rhythm and away he goes.

Understand all that .. there are many variables .. and the disadvantages of running on a football field as opposed to a track lane with no distraction is very significant ..

However, it is possible to assume that the footballers top speed was recorded when they were in the clear with the accelerator on the floor.

What is relevant however is coming up with an estimate of how much difference over a 100m the stationary block start makes as opposed to just top speed time ..

It is note worthy to also add that Bolt's top speed of 44.72 kph was recorded between the 60-80 m Mark's.. so took him some distance to get to open throttle , and more distance than most footy players get ..

So if Koula's longest run was 40 m and Saab's 80 .. again you have another applicable variable.

So, the numbers are just a good guideline and an interesting discussion ..

As an aside, as someone that was robbed of a state u/9 100 yard record due to the unreliability of hand held stop watches .. was the much vaunted Koula time at the Schools carnival done with electronic timing .. or by the poetry teacher with a handheld stopwatch last calibrated in 1927.

Last edited:
Jake leads the NRL for 'player in support' with 128. The next is Gutho with 125 and Dylan Edwards with 116. That shows the effort off the ball.
Garrick and Davey would figure somewhere on that list I'd say.
Where do you find these stats?

Understand all that .. there are many variables .. and the disadvantages of running on a football field as opposed to a track lane with no distraction is very significant ..

However, it is possible to assume that the footballers top speed was recorded when they were in the clear with the accelerator on the floor.

What is relevant however is coming up with an estimate of how much difference over a 100m the stationary block start makes as opposed to just top speed time ..

It is note worthy to also add that Bolt's top speed of 44.72 kph was recorded between the 60-80 m Mark's.. so took him some distance to get to open throttle , and more distance than most footy players get ..

So if Koula's longest run was 40 m and Saab's 80 .. again you have another applicable variable.

So, the numbers are just a good guideline and an interesting discussion ..

As an aside, as someone that was robbed of a state u/9 100m record due to the unreliability of hand held stop watches .. was the much vaunted Koula time at the Schhools carnival done with electronic timing .. otter the poetry teacher with a handheld stopwatch last calibrated in 1927.
The ol' handheld stopwatch! The Koula record was electronic because it was recorded at an official event at Homebush where they use the camera.

Jack Hethrington was at the top of the list on last year's tracker and Tom Dearden had a top speed during Origin on Wednesday night so I take the Tracker's data with a grain a salt. So many variables as you say.

Koulas speed off the mark is phenomenonal, and personally I think that is a better talent to possess than overall top speed.
who can honestly see Crichton having the speed to cut back inside for that line break last break? It was blinding.

Koula is strong and bloody explosive. His turn of pace off the mark is insane. Possibly the best I've seen. Hes like a stronger version of papynhausen.
His running style reminds me of Roger Tuivasa-Shek, especially the younger RTS when he was still at the Roosters.
But his defence reminds me of Dean Whare

Slightly lower top speed but Koula clearly has better acceleration, probably reaches top speed early on which is perfect for rugby league.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4