Footy - 1990's to Now

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Been watching some Retro games on Foxtel and the change becomes Very apparent - the ability to create attacking opportunity (Without) a set play back in the late 90's was great on the eyes and allowed the players to use their Natural ability.
The structured plays in recent years has become so mundane that we simply accept it because its just....how it is, all about stats and winning possession.
I love my footy so not bagging what I wait for every weekend, just the unpredictability and the fact players could use their natural footy ability rather than play like robots, really is refreshing to see.
There were great backline movements on early tackles, plenty of support runners (Leaving their position) to hit a hole rather than (You must stay here), the tackling technique was also better - the players did not wrestle for several seconds dancing around....more a copybook legs tackle with a shot over the top to wrap up the ball.
I think now the game has changed, the most valuable players will be those who can create from nothing - Thurston, DCE, Moylan types who have an instinctive footy brain and the legs to back it up, where as many young halves coming through look very much caught up in controlling a game and setting up field position.....they will put you in a winning position but are not game breakers and in truth, I find the exciting part of footy those rare moments when players change the momentum of a game with that moment of daring, skillful play.
The hits were also very raw and some of the efforts of the smaller players like Toovey could really give these young players coming through some lessons on how to tackle.
The physical side of the game seems lost when watching these 46 - 32 Holden cup games, good entertaining spectacle but at times its like touch footy and these are tomorrows NRL players....maybe why many touted as "Stars" don't cut it at top level....defence starts and finishes with attitude, technique and body position is important but if its not gunna happen in your head first - the tackle becomes half hearted and the miss ratio go's up big time.
Anyone who gets an opportunity to jump on and watch these old games on Fox, will not be disappointed with the action...

Personally love Retro Brookie.
Sat in those stands and on the hill for many a fine win.
The stadiums are good, but for pure atmosphere I loved the confetti flying around and catching a game from the hill.

I've been watching the 90's games one after another on fox too. As i said in an earlier thread, anyone who thinks the game is better now than it was 20+ years ago needs to watch these old games.
I agree with everything you've said Maxta. Todays players are all programmed to a specific game plan. The amount of long range out of nowhere tries scored in the old games makes for a real spectacle. Players not being afraid to try things is a thing of the past.

The physical side of the game seems lost when watching these 46 - 32 Holden cup games, good entertaining spectacle but at times its like touch footy and these are tomorrows NRL players....maybe why many touted as "Stars" don't cut it at top level....defence starts and finishes with attitude, technique and body position is important but if its not gunna happen in your head first - the tackle becomes half hearted and the miss ratio go's up big time.

100% agree and that's what I have been saying for a few years now. With most of these 'stars' who graduate from the U/20s to the NRL.....the worrying trend is the overall lack of tackling ability. Sometimes you get a player like a Jake Trbojevic who can actually tackle (Even Tommy isn't a bad last line of defense), but for the most part the graduates have all been great with the ball in their hands, but wouldn't know defense from that thing that separates your front yard from the footpath.

You can see it already creeping into the NRL as more and more 20s graduates make the grade. We're getting games with cricket scores, for example our loss to St Merge this year in Wollongong where a total of 74 points were scored in 80 minutes. Defense went out the window that dark day. I personally would rather see a game such as the recent World Cup Final or even our 4-0 semi-final loss to the Chooks a few years back where the defense from both sides was just about first class than I would see a game where there is almost a point scored every minute. This is rugby league, not basketball.

The 10m rule was great introduction for rugby league (1993?). But then in the early 2000s coaches worked out all you had to do to get 60m every set was to just run a one pass hit-up for 5 tackles. And then coaches worked out gang tackling slowed the ruck down. Hello to the wrestle. That's when the game died. Somewhere around 2005.

Enter the melb storm. Everything that is wrong with the footy. (besides Todd)

The NRL reckon the ruck and wrestle is too far gone...

How bout penalising players for laying in the ruck for more than a second and the coaches and players will soon adjust when they keep getting penalised. That'll stop the wrestle.
Someone write a program to show how long tackles go on once forward motion has stopped, and how biased the refs are.

This thread made me think about our drought between 96 and 08 was more than just Super League and Northern Beagles, Manly are never about robot plays and wrestling and obviously struggled to adapt until we conquered in the big day in 2007 (cheats) and 2008!

One big difference from back then to now is in the 80’s/90’s only the occasional game was majorly affected by inept referees.

Oh sure they still made lots of mistakes but if a team was good enough they could overcome that.

Fast forward to 2017 and it’s ALL about the referees, they dominate , control and decide games at will.

I agree the dirty tactics , wrestle etc etc is another blight on the game BUT the biggest one are the refs!

One big difference from back then to now is in the 80’s/90’s only the occasional game was majorly affected by inept referees.

Oh sure they still made lots of mistakes but if a team was good enough they could overcome that.

Fast forward to 2017 and it’s ALL about the referees, they dominate , control and decide games at will.

I agree the dirty tactics , wrestle etc etc is another blight on the game BUT the biggest one are the refs!

Mate this 2 ref thing....inconsistency as different interpretation and rulings....1 ref could make a mistake but the game kept moving and was ruled consistently throughout.
This bunker....so ridiculous the game gets pulled up for 3-4 minutes killing the momentum....plus still wrong half the time.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14