Flanagan Signed as assistant

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The Campaign to sign Bronson Xerri begins ...
Xerri is free to negotiate a NRL contact from 1 November 2023. He has been allowed to play Oztag alongside his best mate Kyle Flanagan.

Xerri.jpg

Of big concern Manly should be wary of with Flanagan's appointment as assistant is the clause that he can leave freely after 12 months for HC job. Assistant coaches are/have been normally in a position to develop closer bonds with players, focusing on specific player development and areas of technical assistance etc.

The Dragons have had Flanagan on their payroll for some years now, and no doubt have Flanagan on their radar as a future potential HC. Griffin is already under pressure, and 2023 could very well be his last if Dragons don't make the 8. I'm sure one benefit Dragons board see in releasing Flanagan in these conditions to Manly is the possibility of him returning with a couple of our players with him. We have quite a few coming off contract in 2023, and they would be ripe for picking. Also Flanagan lives down there so would most likely jump at the opportunity (not as likely he would want to relocate to Gold Coast or even Newcastle).

Manly must be mindful of this, and extend key players ASAP

Of big concern Manly should be wary of with Flanagan's appointment as assistant is the clause that he can leave freely after 12 months for HC job. Assistant coaches are/have been normally in a position to develop closer bonds with players, focusing on specific player development and areas of technical assistance etc.

The Dragons have had Flanagan on their payroll for some years now, and no doubt have Flanagan on their radar as a future potential HC. Griffin is already under pressure, and 2023 could very well be his last if Dragons don't make the 8. I'm sure one benefit Dragons board see in releasing Flanagan in these conditions to Manly is the possibility of him returning with a couple of our players with him. We have quite a few coming off contract in 2023, and they would be ripe for picking. Also Flanagan lives down there so would most likely jump at the opportunity (not as likely he would want to relocate to Gold Coast or even Newcastle).

Yeah my hope is it may take more than 1 year to convince the rest of the world he is back. Both flanno and seibold have broken reps. In Manly, in eachother and in this side they have the opportunity to get back what they had, but it wont be next season. This team has good players but NO game unless its back to TOMMY

coaches are starting to knock back disaster zones a bit.

but the relationships with the players stuff is real deal, and a worry
its got the brad arfur smell to it

its a siebold thing to manage as he is the long term . Most clubs are pretty cool releasing assistants even without clause, if the get a good gig. At least everyone is aware from day 1.

The thing that worries me is that the Dragoons have told Sullivan and Sloan that next year will be hooks last year there and thats why they backflipped. Who,s to say that the Dragoons havent said to Flanagan that, ok, we will release you but we want you back here after your Manly gig after a year. My conspiracy theory lol

It wouldn't surprise me if Flanno is also there on standby in case Siebold crashes and burns. He may be our Head Coach after a single season.

The thing that worries me is that the Dragoons have told Sullivan and Sloan that next year will be hooks last year there and thats why they backflipped. Who,s to say that the Dragoons havent said to Flanagan that, ok, we will release you but we want you back here after your Manly gig after a year. My conspiracy theory lol

Nothing wrong with that ... he's not going to stay an asst forever ..

I used to worry about the risk of players going with former coaches, but honestly I think this risk is overblown. Apart from Darius Boyd and Wayne Bennett, I cannot think of many examples of where a player tied themselves to a coach. Baz recruited Kikau and Burton, but I think the cash was more incentivising.

So, nothing to stress about. Provided we pay the players we want to keep what they are worth, and absent another club paying silly money, the risk you identify is minimal.

I actually believe both parties have unofficially agreed to this behind closed doors a while ago

I used to worry about the risk of players going with former coaches, but honestly I think this risk is overblown. Apart from Darius Boyd and Wayne Bennett, I cannot think of many examples of where a player tied themselves to a coach. Baz recruited Kikau and Burton, but I think the cash was more incentivising.

So, nothing to stress about. Provided we pay the players we want to keep what they are worth, and absent another club paying silly money, the risk you identify is minimal.
Really? Aren't there countless examples of assistants taking players with them? Just off the top of my head, there's Brad Arthur, Barrett ×2, Ciraldo. Then obviously head coaches Bennett, Hasler (attempted), Griffin. Probably many more

Really? Aren't there countless examples of assistants taking players with them? Just off the top of my head, there's Brad Arthur, Barrett ×2, Ciraldo. Then obviously head coaches Bennett, Hasler (attempted), Griffin. Probably many more
My point is that it is cash (and opportunity) rather than the coach, that is the main factor. There would be very few players who would take less so that they could play under a specific coach at another club.

Remember, we went through this with Des. Only T-Rex followed, but Snake and others were retained. Yes, Arthur got Foran and Choc but that was due to them being disgruntled with the club. Baz took… Waddell. So provided we treat the ones we want well, and pay them appropriately, we are in the box seat.

I'm just concerned we will lose Shane F to St George for 2024 season, as Griffin is on the Outer, and ultimately Shane wants a Head Coaching role.

I'm just concerned we will lose Shane F to St George for 2024 season, as Griffin is on the Outer, and ultimately Shane wants a Head Coaching role.

We will lose him ... but that is just how it is ... all we can hope for is that he makes a difference while he is here ... whether that is one year or two or more ...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4