First Manly game you went to ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Mine was against the Roosters in 1982.....and we lost 40 - 2 :oops:
Ian barkley was a runaway train and kept busting the Manly defence with ease and I think Manly signed him on the back of this performance, though never played close to this good in Manly colors...Crusher Cleal was a powerhouse for Roosters and certainly played great at Manly and by 1987, was part of a raging hot Manly GF winning pack that also had Rambo Gibbs and my favourite front rower of all time - Kevin Ward....
Everything went bad in this game and I went there with high hopes....still recall the confetti flying and the atmosphere was electric at the SCG, just a pity aboout the FT score...

It was either 1993 to 1995 as it was against the gold coast seagulls at the tweed heads stadium and Danny Moore was a centre.

Fun fact - Danny Moore was the FIRST player to win a premiership in the northern and southern hemispheres!!

edit: Danny Moore did something in England and Australia. The end. Stop asking questions!

Last edited:
1976 against Parramatta at Cumberland oval. I was a sheltered 11 yo northern beaches boy, couldn't believe there were people that actually went for Parramatta (up til then they'd been a long-term easybeat).

Hard game and they beat us .... bit of a lesson for me at the time!

Don’t think that is right, I reckon Sterling and Kenny won a Northern comp in 1980s as I recall them playing against each other in a GF over there.

BTW couldn't be bother googling it to confirm it or not

Don’t think that is right, I reckon Sterling and Kenny won a Northern comp in 1980s as I recall them playing against each other in a GF over there.

BTW couldn't be bother googling it to confirm it or not

Nah. Stirling only won some Yorkshire only comp and he lost to Kenney's team in a wigan v hull Challenge cup final. 100k at it and deemed pretty good.

Challenge cup is a knockout comp and not really in the same vein as a 'premiership' win.

While playing for Hull in the early part of 1985, Sterling led the team into the 1985 Challenge Cup Final against Wigan, which also included a number of internationals such as; fullback Gary Kemble, wingers Dane O'Hara and James Leuluai and his halves partner Fred Ah Kuoi (all NZ), centre Garry Schofield (GB), Parramatta second-rower John Muggleton (Aus), and goal kicking forward (and Hull captain) Lee Crooks (GB).

Sterling played scrum-half in Hull FC's 24–28 defeat by Wigan in the 1985 Challenge Cup Final during the 1984–85 season at Wembley Stadium, London on Saturday 4 May 1985, in front of a crowd of 99,801,[4] in what is regarded as the most marvellous cup final in living memory,[5] which Hull narrowly lost after fighting back from 12–28 down at half-time, with Sterling's Parramatta halves partner Brett Kenny (playing for Wigan) was voted man of the match winning the Lance Todd Trophy.

(ugh, who wrote that - use a fullstop now and then!)

I mean, kinda depends on the definition of a grand final as a gf could be between any level of teams in sports.

That said, I've spent too much time on this already.

Really wanted to go to the 1972 Grand Final ( would have been my first game ) but at 17 and coming from the country my Dad said “ no way”.

My eldest brother lives in the Penrith area and I conned him into taking me to Panthers v Manly , we won I think 78-4 ( don’t know the exact score but close enough) , so this was my first game.

Then at 18 I attended the 73 GF, and haven’t missed a GF that we have appeared in since then.

My first Brookvale attendance was 1982-83 , the day we played the Eels with the biggest ever crowd !! We sadly lost but I was in 7th heaven after the game walking on the hallowed turf.

Ah the mammeries , oh sorry , been thinking of Eugenie Bouchard so I actually did mean memories!!!

It was either 1993 to 1995 as it was against the gold coast seagulls at the tweed heads stadium and Danny Moore was a centre.

Fun fact - Danny Moore was the FIRST player to win a premiership in the northern and southern hemispheres!!
Didn't Graham Eadie do that?

bc27feec43c4995c241c4a747bec374b.gif

My first was Manly vs Easts SCG June 1975. Sat in the old Brewongle Stand with my Roosters supporting older sister (she was a Russell Fairfax fan). I think the Roosters won 11-10 or something similar. I think to win the game Fairfax and John Brass both kicked field goals with one of them being kicked from before halfway (IIRC). Ray Branighan scored in the corner on the bell but was ruled a no-try. My other strong memory was Mal Reilly laying on the ground clutching his knee. But he always did that, the poor guy.

1995ish, vs Cowboys in Townsville. Drank way too but definitely (?) recall Danny Moore scoring 3 tries in a big win!

The first game I remember going to was a Wills Cup pre season game at Brookie against Wests in early 1970s

First one wasn’t until June 1974, a loss to Cronulla at Brookvale - I think it was the first one ever against them.

Wasn’t my first match though, that was the Australia vs the Rest game at Brookvale on a Friday night in February the same year.

I kept attending games we lost during the 1970s, until I beat the jinx against Newtown at Brookvale in 1979. I thought, ‘surely we can beat Newtown?’ And they did, 15-9, breaking my hex on the Sea Eagles.

At the risk of making myself feel decrepit I will admit that the first Manly game I remember going to was Manly vs Souths at Brookvale in 1953 (but could have been a year or so either side). Pretty sure Roy Bull and Rex played and I think also my all time favourite winger George (Galloping Major) Hugo. Pretty vague but I think we got flogged. The big attraction of the day was to see Clive Churchill play. I thought he was pretty ordinary TBH. Another thing I remember is Souths had a little Chinese half back playing reserve grade. ( ? Wong). It was pretty unusual to see an Asian playing RL in those days.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4